Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What fish to get?

What fish to get? (Page 2)
SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 11:04 PM

the picaso, or Huma-Huma, Hawaiian state fish,
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
Manderins are beautiful, My Naso Tang is getting real big, probably done growing though, he is about two and a half. My picaso trigger is my pride and joy. What are good snails that wont overpopulate, but still clean well?
I prefer Turbo snails (in a FO tank you dont have to worry much about them knocking stuff down) Also some margarita snails and Cortez (cerith) snails are good they wont overpopulate.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
What kind of food do I need for these? Do they require heating? I assume they're freshwater fish, right?
As catfish, they're bottom feeders and will eat the waste, but they also make little pellets you can drop in there for those fellas. Yeah, they need heating and are freshwater. I like the Corydoras:
http://petfish.net/cory.htm

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
the picaso, or Huma-Huma, Hawaiian state fish,
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
Nice

Would tear up my corals though.

Not nice
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2004, 12:45 AM

keep it fresh water. simpler that way. go with ciclids. like a frantosia, dempsey, couplea angel fish, and some barbs. like 6 barbs. i had that going on in hawaii, really chill to watch and they were damn pretty.

</my 2 cents>

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 04:11 AM

I just got a 10 gallon aquarium that I will be moving my two goldfish into. That leaves their 5 gallon tank free. I'm having a hard time deciding what to put in their place. I also want to get another small fish for the 10 gallon. Any ideas?

I'd also love to hear about others' aquariums.
I suggest you do some research on fish. 10 gallons might be big enough for 1 goldfish, depending on what kind it is. People who are very experienced at keeping goldfish will typically recommend at least 10 gallons of water for each goldfish. You have to realize that keeping any fish in an aquarium is very unnatural. The water parameters of a aquarium can become toxic very easily compared to their natural environment. Keeping a fish in a small aquarium increases the chance of that toxicity because there is less water to dilute the toxins. If you decide to keep fish you should do what you can to make their life as pleasant as possible. For the sake of your goldfish, I recommend you buy a larger tank or take them back to the fish store.

Looking for something to put in the 5 gallon? I would recommend flowers.

If your interested, here are some links that may give you some valuable info...
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/ggoldf.html
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpB...pic.php?t=3158

PS- Please don't take offense to this post, many people make mistakes with aquariums (I sure did).

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2004, 12:46 PM

I have done research on fish. I frequently ask advice of my friend, who is a fish expert. I am aware that a goldfish needs 75 gallons to grow to full size. I am aware that 10 gallons is very small compared to natural habitats. I am aware of water conditions and whatnot. For the last time, I did not ask for advice about tanks. I asked for advice about fish.

Edit: Thank you for being diplomatic in your post. I realize that you are just looking out for fishes' well being.

Originally posted by Speckledstone:
I suggest you do some research on fish. 10 gallons might be big enough for 1 goldfish, depending on what kind it is. People who are very experienced at keeping goldfish will typically recommend at least 10 gallons of water for each goldfish. You have to realize that keeping any fish in an aquarium is very unnatural. The water parameters of a aquarium can become toxic very easily compared to their natural environment. Keeping a fish in a small aquarium increases the chance of that toxicity because there is less water to dilute the toxins. If you decide to keep fish you should do what you can to make their life as pleasant as possible. For the sake of your goldfish, I recommend you buy a larger tank or take them back to the fish store.

Looking for something to put in the 5 gallon? I would recommend flowers.

If your interested, here are some links that may give you some valuable info...
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/ggoldf.html
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpB...pic.php?t=3158

PS- Please don't take offense to this post, many people make mistakes with aquariums (I sure did).
( Last edited by wataru; Apr 1, 2004 at 12:53 PM. )

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2004, 01:23 PM

Wataru, you ASKED for opinions if you don't like the advice don't ask�and you STARTED the name calling.

Why do they make 5 gallon tanks? Let me answer that with a question: They make and sell cages for dogs, you gonna get one of those too?

I wouldn't bother with something 10 gallons or less, they are not adequate IN MY OPINION. Did you catch the part where I said it was MY OPINION? You know, it was the thing you ASKED for�

Next time take your Midol before posting, and then post it
here.

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 08:01 PM

"...Edit: Thank you for being diplomatic in your post. I realize that you are just looking out for fishes' well being."
Not a problem, I'm just trying to help (you and your fish) by giving advice.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2004, 10:11 PM

Cow Fish! They can swim backwards.

Puffer Fish are funny too.

My friend had a baby puffer, but the poor guy got scared and puffed up... but never unpuffed.

Aquarium guy said that it's not uncommon for baby puffers to not know how to unpuff. *sniff*
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Saul Goode:
Why do they make 5 gallon tanks? Let me answer that with a question: They make and sell cages for dogs, you gonna get one of those too?

I wouldn't bother with something 10 gallons or less, they are not adequate IN MY OPINION.
Small tanks are useful as quarantine and breeding tanks (IN MY OPINION ).

Forum Links
Forum Rules