Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > adium and direct connections...

adium and direct connections...
tylor
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 10:04 PM

does adium allow direct connections and sending files? i'm trying to do direct connect with a buddy, who is on a pc, and it wont work...

suggestions?

WayzataXC05
Jul 17, 2005, 10:52 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Can anybody help?
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 03:31 AM

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by eevyl
, when do you think it will be available? i love it, so for now i just have to switch over to aim whenenver i want to direct connect

Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 12:52 PM

It has to be available in libgaim first. Gaim itself does not really have reliable transfers or direct connections yet, so it could be a ways off. Hopefully jOscar (something being looked at by the Adium team now) will offer improvements in this area, but there's no telling when/if that will happen.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by tylor
, when do you think it will be available? i love it, so for now i just have to switch over to aim whenenver i want to direct connect
I can only quote the page I linked to,

Improving AIM file transfer

Users behind a router may have better luck with AIM file transfer after forwarding ports 5190 - 5200 to their machine. AIM file transfer and Direct Connect are interrelated.
That can help while libgaim is updated to work better with it, and I don't know or think when it will be available.

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by
It has to be available in libgaim first. Gaim itself does not really have reliable transfers or direct connections yet, so it could be a ways off. Hopefully jOscar (something being looked at by the Adium team now) will offer improvements in this area, but there's no telling when/if that will happen.
how is your user name an apple?! that's sooo cool!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 03:55 PM

One of the google summer of code projects is to improve NAT traversal for gaim direct connect/file transfer. Hopefully something will come of this... if not, it'll have to wait for joscar (assuming that works right).

Forum Links
Forum Rules