Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > when will the new powerbooks be coming out? ...

when will the new powerbooks be coming out? ...
tylor
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 01:48 PM

think they will offer them in black like the new nano?

i think i might sell my current powerbook (15", 1.33ghz, 1.25mb, 60gb, airport, panther, ect) and get one. how much would mine go for right now?

also, the new ones will have pentium instead, right?

thanks!

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 02:09 PM

No one really has any idea. We'll probably see another G4 revision of some sort before we see any intel chips in powerbooks. Chances are that G4 PBs will look like they do currently. Intel PBs may get a new design. You're PB is probably worth $1500-$1800.

ImpulseResponse

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
No one really has any idea. We'll probably see another G4 revision of some sort before we see any intel chips in powerbooks. Chances are that G4 PBs will look like they do currently. Intel PBs may get a new design. You're PB is probably worth $1500-$1800.
oh, i thought it might be here sooner than that because the osx version that works with intel has already hit the internet ... a few people have done installs. didn't think they will do another revision first, hmm ...

thanks for the reply!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tylor
oh, i thought it might be here sooner than that because the osx version that works with intel has already hit the internet ... a few people have done installs. didn't think they will do another revision first, hmm ...
Do you really think this?

ChadC
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 05:59 PM

with the recent update of iBooks and recent release of new freescale G4 proc... we will most definatly see at least one more version of the current PowerBook. I was hoping for it to come the 20th, but now it looks like it won't, anyone have anytype of concrete confirmation of this?

Either way, when Apple does intro the intel books I would advise you not to buy one till at least rev. B. Usually a couple month wait but with all the problems that are guarenteeed with a Rev. A. it'll be worth it.

Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

idyll
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 07:39 PM

Hm, I don't know.. every Apple product I have owned so far (iPod, PowerBook, iMac, and PowerMac) has been Rev. A and worked wonderfully.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 9, 2005, 08:13 PM

think they will offer them in black like the new nano?

i think i might sell my current powerbook (15", 1.33ghz, 1.25mb, 60gb, airport, panther, ect) and get one. how much would mine go for right now?

also, the new ones will have pentium instead, right?

thanks!

Sorry, but only those over 5,811 posts know this information.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Sorry, but only those over 5,811 posts know this information.
...Or Steve Jobs.

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Do you really think this?
why not?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2005, 04:58 AM

why not?
Because to think that Apple (or any other serious company) would ship their systems with an OS version that is still in heavy development is - at the least - strange…

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 12:14 PM

Because to think that Apple (or any other serious company) would ship their systems with an OS version that is still in heavy development is - at the least - strange…
to me, since it is already ready to install and use, i would think that it's pretty much ready

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 12:50 PM

to me, since it is already ready to install and use, i would think that it's pretty much ready
that's the microsoft philosophy, no?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2005, 01:31 PM

Yes, whatever.

Besides that you should stay with your current PB, since it's a very fine and fast machine. You won't see that much of a difference with a new one. I'd say stick with it and wait until the Intel PBs arrive.

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 09:28 AM

Yes, whatever.

Besides that you should stay with your current PB, since it's a very fine and fast machine. You won't see that much of a difference with a new one. I'd say stick with it and wait until the Intel PBs arrive.
i think i may sell it and get a pc ... if i miss osx, i'll install it on there. i don't think i'll miss it that much.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 11:29 AM

i think i may sell it and get a pc ... if i miss osx, i'll install it on there. i don't think i'll miss it that much.
Good luck with that.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
Good luck with that.

Agreed. He deserves what awaits him.

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 12:56 PM

Looprumors.com says new PB's and PM's at Paris.
But as always, take it with a grain of salt.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 05:03 PM

As I said in another thread... with the keynote canceled, chances of any updates exactly on the 20th have gone way down. But that doesn't rule out a quiet update on some Tuesday between now and the end of October.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 05:48 PM

True that the possibility has gone down for the 20th or the near future - but as a sidenote look how well the nano was hidden from the rumor sites. So possibility always exists.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 09:50 AM

Anything you will miss about OS X (and you will miss it) will be completely void by installing it on generic PC hardware. Aside from that, it's an early developer version of the OS running on hardware it's not designed to run on. The reason OS X runs so flawlessly is because it's designed with certain hardware in mind. To think that you can have your cake and eat it too (at least at this point in time) is silly.
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 10:44 AM

James?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 13, 2005, 10:57 AM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You won't miss OS X? Why not go and play with a Dell for a while. You'll be back in 6 months. Oh, and OS X ain't gonna run on a PC/Windows box. Not going to happen. (Don't tell me it already is, because of a hack...) That will be fixed if not already. Trusted Computing.

Mack
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 05:13 PM

My son is a college freshman and was issued a new Dell notebook (manditory, $3200 added to the tuition bill). He's had it for barely three weeks and already several keys have fallen off the keyboard, the tackpad works only inconsistently and it crashes several times a day. The school has agreed to replace it, but the experience does little to inspire confidence in Dell quality control. I think their tight margins are starting to catch up with them.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mack
My son is a college freshman and was issued a new Dell notebook (manditory, $3200 added to the tuition bill). He's had it for barely three weeks and already several keys have fallen off the keyboard, the tackpad works only inconsistently and it crashes several times a day. The school has agreed to replace it, but the experience does little to inspire confidence in Dell quality control. I think their tight margins are starting to catch up with them.
I had a Dell laptop at school I was suppose to use and it had to be reformatted the 3rd week in after I had set everything up. So sad and typical.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 05:18 AM

tylor,
i will trade you a biege pile of microshit that has been collecting dust since ibought this new pbook a couple of months ago for your pbook. you can install that crippled developers version of osx thats floating around on it and if yer lucky and get a good version of the hack be able to get on the net with it. yipee.

pandas
( Last edited by sadpandas; Sep 14, 2005 at 05:31 AM. Reason: i would also like to add....)
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
I had a Dell laptop at school I was suppose to use and it had to be reformatted the 3rd week in after I had set everything up. So sad and typical.
Typical? I wouldn't say so. My wife's WinXP Dell goes strong more than one year now. Easily as good as a Powerbook under OS X in terms of stability, if not better. Same thing for the other Dells where she works. It is just me that I find WinXP somewhat... archaic and certainly hostile from an end user viewpoint. Just a personal preference.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2005, 11:50 AM

say what?

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Kev052683
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 03:12 PM

That looks like an iBook painted black from the grey-ish tint of the keyboard. Then again, an iBooks ports are on the side and that ethernet cable is going in the back.

Either way, the aluminum still looks better

Edit: Nevermind, I remmber now that the Powerbooks look like that keyboard, and the speakers are going down the sides like a 15". Still don't believe it's real though

If you look at the apple on the top that usually lights up, it looks like it's reflecting the TV also. Would a Powerbook do that?

poppa kristof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 04:02 PM

That there is a TiBook that was painted.
There was talk of some people doing that when the paint chipped/scratched/bubbled.
Just waiting for the OnyxBook reference to start again.

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 06:02 PM

1. i will never buy a dell
2. i don't think i'll miss osx, i don't see what's so special about it. it looks better than windows, but that's it. the new version of windows is going to be insane ...

osx is nice, but not "flawless"

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2005, 06:50 PM

James?

robisconfusedd
Sep 14, 2005, 11:09 PM

this hurts thinking that apple is going to use intel processors... i think i might buy another powerbook before they make the switch

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 02:12 AM

1. i will never buy a dell
2. i don't think i'll miss osx, i don't see what's so special about it. it looks better than windows, but that's it. the new version of windows is going to be insane ...

osx is nice, but not "flawless"
You must not do any design work on OSX. Windows management in "Windows" is a pain in the ass.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2005, 03:28 AM

the new version of windows is going to be insane ...

tylor  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by riotge@r
You must not do any design work on OSX. Windows management in "Windows" is a pain in the ass.
actually, i do.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2005, 12:54 AM

actually, i do.
Then you're just looney.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 10:05 AM

Enjoy your spywarez ;P
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2005, 03:11 PM

I don't mean to be a total dick here but you guys should look up some of the threads started by tylor. might give you some insight. Also, Tylor, what about OSX specifically don't you enjoy or find problematic? I am just rying to figure out if you are onto something... you are making me want to toss this super slick powerbook (the one that i spend more time designing and recording music with than 'tweaking the o.s.') out the window and get a sweet acer box with that insane o.s. vista.... (insert rolling eyes smiley here). Riotgear is correct, you are loonsville.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2005, 03:35 PM

Tylor I'll give you $250 for your pb. Good luck with going back to Windows.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

madmanXwater
Sep 16, 2005, 06:07 PM

These Mac vs. PC threads crack me up!! I wonder if you guys use any applications, or just play around in the OS all day? I use both platforms, every day as a multimedia developer for one of the largest agencies in the world. You need to be up to speed on both platforms, both of them have strenghts and weaknesses. I've owned many Macs & PCs and PowerBooks and PC laptops over the years, and created lots of "work" and had lots of fun with both platforms.

If you've seen any of my other posts, you know that I believe the PowerBook is very nice, I have a 17" 1.33 G4, but the performance and value just can't compete with PC laptops and Apple knows this big time! I wouldn't spend a dime on a PowerBook until the Intel chips are inside and the performance is proven to be back on par with WinTel laptops. Unless you're not running any CPU intensive apps, OSX isn't enough to justify spending twice the money for half the performance.

My new HP zd8225 has been on 20 hours a day for the last month and hasn't missed a beat, while my PowerBook is collecting dust. It makes me sad a little, but everytime I render something or work on large projects, I remeber how these task used to just bring the PowerBook to it's knees. I'll keep my eyes and my mind open when Macintels ship to see what Apple has to offer.

Mike
Canada

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 06:37 PM

actually, i do.
Let's see some nice work from you.

imacgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 01:53 PM

i am a total mac adict and have crused the web looking for the new pb date and found much good news. if you look at this url you igh be surprised "http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1298". the new date could be as soon as this week. or on 12 of Oct.
( Last edited by imacgeek; Oct 5, 2005 at 11:10 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules