Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Excessive startup memory OS 9.1 Multi OS system?

Excessive startup memory OS 9.1 Multi OS system?
Etaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2001, 03:55 AM

I have two SCSI 160 drives both partitioned and OS's 9.04 9.1 and 9.1 installed on at least three of the partitions. OS 9.04 and 9.1 on two different drives in separate partitions up until a while ago used about 39 to 40 mg of memory at startup no applications running. Now this memory usage is up to 100 mgs. The other other partition on the same drive as 9.1 is installed has a another partition with OS 9.1 on it and is currently using only 39 mgs. The applications on the 9.04 and the 39 mg 9.1 partition are essentally the same. I remember reading this was a problem that would crop out unexpectively an was hard to trace down. I rememeber reading Open transport as being a cuprit. The startup memory values given in Conflict Catcher 8.1 only add up to 33 mgs. I know the majority of the system control panels have memory settings where is this addition memory being sucked up from? Yes virtual memory is on and set to access an empty partition. This is a 9600 with a G3 466 xlr8 zif upgrade. 320 mg of ram.
Can someone give me a direction other than a claen install to cure this problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules