Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > M$ Office 2008 crashing OS X Leopard each time

M$ Office 2008 crashing OS X Leopard each time
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2008, 10:38 AM

Ok, so when I run Office 2008, all seems to be fine, but if I run Excel and another office application is opening at the same time, I get the crash screen with the different languages to restart the computer.

Have snapshot of the report here:
http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?im...leopardqg1.png

This is a lab image with a Mac Pro, 10.5.4, 2 gig Ram 160 HD

At first when the image was created and I keep getting this I though maybe there was an issue with the install so ended up re0installing the OS, software etc. Still had the issue, so grabbed another tower with same specs. Now all is installed with this 75 GB lab image, all customized and still crashing.

I have tried with the stripped down default user profile that not even setup with the Office user account. Which means when I open office I need to do the registration. Once that is done, when I open the apps, the computer crashes.

Tried this because I though it was a bad copy of the office .plist files.

My next option is to remove Office 2008 and install Office 2004 and install Open Office in case users need to open .docx files.

Any ideas?

Tks,

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2008, 01:45 PM

Ok, let me correct this ..... it's not just on a Mac Pro, I also have an iMac crashing when I go and run Word, Excel, PowerPoint.

Almost as if Office 2008 can not multitask and open the three all at once. I just re-installed Office 2004 and no issue with crashing.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 01:48 PM

Instead of a lab image, why not try it on a fresh install of Leopard?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Instead of a lab image, why not try it on a fresh install of Leopard?
The Mac Pro is on a second install of the OS. Also, it's the second Mac Pro I tired. So I'm using a completely other computer & HD from when I first had this crash issue.

Also, creating these images takes sometime as they are 76gigs, so need to find out what is in Office 08 that's causing the crash. Office 04 seems to work fine.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 06:20 PM

Well according to that log, the BTreeRecord seems to be more of the cause. The reason Excel is listed, as you've highlighted, is because it was the app that was currently running. Not saying Office isn't the problem here, but I've never seen nor had an app like that cause kernel panics unless it installed kext files, such as Norton products. Like I suggested, instead of using the lab image, is there a way to verify this same crash on a computer with a fresh install of Leopard from a disc?

Also, I would suggest booting from the Leopard disc and run disk utility from that to verify/repair the hard drive.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2008, 08:07 PM

No problem running the Office 2008 suite here... probably an issue with something else you've installed.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2008, 09:58 AM

Trashed the fonts I had and looked like it worked then after testing again it was still crashing. I have now trashed all the pref. files and keep only the Office.plist pref file and trashed the Word, PowerPoint, & Excel file as well as the Microsoft preferences folder. Now seems to be working without crashing. So seems like it was not agreeing with a preference file that was created on another user. Never had this being an issue with Office 2004, but though it will just take a bit longer for loading up as it will need to create these files each time a user logs in..... at least it works.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2008, 11:24 AM

Ok, so that was short lived ..... still same issue. It seems that if I create a local user, all will work fine. If I login using an OD or AD user, it crashes every time.

The only file that I have added to the default profile "/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj" that has anything to do with Microsoft Office 2008 is the "com.microsoft.office.plist" file found in the user Preferences folder. This file is needed so that users do not need to create a new Office identity each and every time a new user logs into the computer.

This really sucks if I need to downgrade to Office 2004 just to have this all work right.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2008, 12:09 PM

I work for a college where all the students log into the desktops using AD login. When the users login, they create a local profile using the default user that I have customized.

From what I can tell, the "com.microsoft.office.plist" is needed so that the identity/registration window does not show up to be filled out every time a new user logs into the computer.

I can place all the other preference files in the default user profile that has anything to do with MS office, but will still have the registration window show up. Only crashes when the "com.microsoft.office.plist" is present.

If a user needs to go through this each and every time, then I will be removing Office 2008 and keep the computers with Office 2004 and use Neo Office if they want to open or edit ".docx" files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules