Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > You have to be kidding me - back to back drive failures

You have to be kidding me - back to back drive failures
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 04:47 PM

We purchased two Macbook Pros to do iPhone apps back when the 3G came out. A month ago, the HDD died in one of them. Now, the other one won't turn on at all. Amazingly, both events happen less than a month out of warranty.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 05:51 PM

Talk to Apple. I've had them do warranty repair on a device that had just run out of warranty.

And if that doesn't work, do it yourself. A disk costs $60. An AASP should install it for you for ~$35.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2009, 06:00 PM

Depending on how long after the iPhone 3G it was when you got the MBP, it might be a unibody model. If it is, those things are a cinch to replace the hard drive in. I wouldn't even waste $35 to have an Apple tech do it. If it's an older one, though, those are a lot more of a PITA, and you're probably better off paying the $35.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wrambro
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2009, 12:38 AM

It's not too difficult taking apart the pre-Unibody models. The most difficult part is probably getting the top casing/keyboard off after you remove all the screws. Other than that, not much to it. Plus, iFixIt has some good guides to help you through the process.

If you think it would be a fun little project and feel like you can keep track of your screws, I'd say go for it. If you think it's a hassle, might as well pay the $35.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2009, 02:51 AM

The iPhone 3G was launched in June 2008. The UBs didn't show up until October 2008. So I tacitly assumed the OP has a pre-UB MBP. Hence the suggestion to have an AASP install it for small fee.

If it had been a UB MBP he might as well have put the disk in himself. Two screwdrivers and about 5 minutes is all it takes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules