Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Crowdfunding Critic: Mayku FormBox Desktop Vacuum Former

Crowdfunding Critic: Mayku FormBox Desktop Vacuum Former
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 12, 2016, 01:13 PM

By this point, you've already heard all the hype over 3D printing, and I concur, it is exciting. It's a fantastic innovation that makes all kinds of things possible that weren't possible (or at the very least, plausible) a few years ago. And yes -- it's exciting because this technology is now available to the general public. However, there are still some severe limitations with 3D printing that keeps it out of reach for many people. That's why Mayku has Kickstarted the ultimate solution to that problem: The FormBox.

The basic overview

FormBox is a small, table-top vacuum former that can make a 3D mold of just about anything. If you're not familiar with what a vacuum former is, let me explain. It is a piece of workshop equipment that heats up a sheet of material, usually a type of thermoplastic or foam, and then uses vacuum force to suck it down against an object placed on the bed of the machine. This creates a 3D "blank" of the object, which can then serve purpose as an object itself (such as a drinking glass or a speaker cone), or as a mold for casting objects at a later time.

I, and I assume most people, got introduced to vacuum forming via TV shows like Mythbusters a few years back when makers extraordinaire, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, had used a huge one to create quick and easy molds for some of their experiments. And I, like most people, thought "Huh, that's cool. Wish I had the space for one of those," and then promptly moved on with my life and putting my dreams of vacuum forming behind me.

The thing is, Mayku has made that plausible. The FormBox is only about 18 inches in length, nine inches in width, and just shy of 12 inches high. It doesn't require a workshop, it doesn't require any special training to use, and best of all, it utilizes your home vacuum cleaner to provide the needed suction to create the blank. That keeps the FormBox small and easy to transport, and seriously cuts down on the cost to manufacture it.

Why FormBox?

Okay, you're probably wondering why I'm so excited about this, and I suppose that's a valid question. The thing is, I love making things. I had a brief stint in art school, where I had hoped to work in textiles and ceramics in addition to my plan of becoming a graphic designer. That fell through back in 2006, but my love of making things hasn't slowed. In fact, if anything, it's gotten stronger.

However, if I want to create multiples of the same objects, my options have always been to make more by hand, make a traditional cast, or model the object in 3D and get it 3D-printed. All three options are incredibly time intensive, sometimes messy, and often entirely unavailable to me. For example, I don't own a 3D printer, and my landlord isn't going to be too thrilled with me making silicon or plaster molds in my bathtub.

On top of that, one of the biggest issues with working in mediums that involve the third dimension is that not everyone has the time, nor desire, to learn how to 3D model, even though it's often touted as the most "practical" method for traditional artists to invest in if they are looking to create small batches of their product.

Even when you take into account innovative programs like Autodesk's Mudbox, or widely available programs like Blender, 3D modeling can be a slow process that requires a lot of time and effort to master. I've recently taken a course in 3D modeling, and though I'd sell myself as someone who speaks Photoshop and Illustrator as a second language, I wouldn't call 3D modeling an "easy" skill to pick up.

I spent way too many late nights trying to figure out why Maya was behaving the way it was, only to find out that I hadn't ticked a checkbox somewhere 15 steps back, which was frustrating to say the least. If you're a weekend tinkerer, chances are you don't want to (or simply cannot) spend the time learning these complex programs -- and that shouldn't prevent you from creating what you want.

A welcome addition

Even if you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn 3D modeling, you still have the hurdle of obtaining, operating, and maintaining a 3D printer. The problem: 3D printers aren't cheap to buy, they print fairly slowly, are prone to clogging, and can only make one thing at a time. As far as cost-effectiveness goes, it's certainly not the best option, especially for the at-home designer.

The work that FormBox is doing is incredibly important. It gives makers the tools to quickly and easily create molds of 3D objects, or even 3D objects themselves, using whatever they've got on hand, a sheet of molding material, and a vacuum cleaner. I mean, come on, the video shows a woman cutting a potato to use to create her blank -- which I can tell as a person who sculpts, carves, and whittles in her spare time -- is absolutely brilliant.

Potatoes are cheap, ubiquitous, and easy to carve with the kitchen tools you've already got on hand. Obviously you don't need to use a potato, you could just as easily carve something out of wood or vinyl, use an object you've got around the house, or use hardened polymer clay. But, isn't that the genius thing about FormBox? You can use what you have available to you and what you are comfortable with.

Even if you don't have to resort to slicing up tubers and do know how to 3D model, and you've already taken the plunge and have your own desktop 3D printer, FormBox is a fantastic product to supplement your 3D printer, not replace it entirely. After you print your 3D model, you can make blank molds of it, which can then be used for casting more of the object you just printed. The traditional methods of making molds tend to be so much more labor intensive, but FormBox makes it absurdly quick.

Then, after you've got your blank, you can mix up resin and cast several of the same items in a fraction of the time it takes to print a single one. This is exciting to me, and judging by the fact that they've got three weeks left to go and have already funded the project five times over, I'm willing to bet other people are excited as well.

Make and make again

It's not only resin that you can cast in, by the way. I say this because I assume that most people who purchase the FormBox are going to cast in resin, because most people are probably looking for a plastic-alternative, but don't feel like you've got to limit yourself. FormBox material sheets can be used to create molds for most things that you can cast (molten metals aside) including: ice, foam, concrete, jello, chocolate, plaster, silicon, and more.

Run a bakery and want cute chocolate molds? FormBox can make you a tray of chocolate molds in minutes. Throwing a cool party and want to make some customized ice cubes? FormBox can make you all kinds of weird-shaped ice cube trays. Looking for a great way to quickly create novelty paperweights? FormBox can make you a mold that you can use over and over again with concrete and plaster. In short, it's a great tool for a wide range of uses, and for wide array of people.

In case you were wondering, here's a short list of the type of thermoplastics that can be used with FormBox: ABS, polystyrene, polycarbonate, polypropylene, polyethylene, PVC, acrylic, and Mayku plans on releasing more materials in the future that can be used with FormBox. Currently, they've successfully used materials between 0.1 millimeter and 1mm in thickness, but plan on testing even thicker plastics in the future.

Size matters

The only problem I see with FormBox is it's size. FormBox is small, only allowing you to cast objects that are about 6x6x6 inches at maximum. This limits the size of objects that can be placed on the bed of the FormBox pretty significantly, which might be a deterrant to some people who are looking to mold larger objects. I think that there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't cut certain larger objects to fit the FormBox bed and piece the molds together with a liquid-proof tape if needed, though.

Forward, into the future!

I'm excited for FormBox, which I'm sure is absolutely obvious at this point. To see something so innovative, so simple, and so widely beneficial be made available to the public is mind-blowing to me. The ability to take an idea you've had and bring it to life on your dining room table is incredible.

If you're excited as well, the FormBox Kickstarter has just about three weeks left to go, is fully funded, and has multiple backer tiers available, ranging from a $5 "show your support," to $350 to "get your own FormBox," and even a $460 "pro pack" which includes extra material sheets -- there are also multi-packs that allow you to buy multiple FormBoxes, as well as a $350 "donate a FormBox to a school or maker space of your choice."

-- Amber Neely (@SurferAmber)

Developers: Are you starting a crowdfunding project you'd like us to take a look at? Shoot us an email and let us know what you're up to.

sidewaysdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2016, 03:06 PM

The FormBox is indeed interesting, but it is disappointing to see their hyped comparison to 3D printing echoed here.

There are overlapping areas in market and usage — the same can be said about CNC cutters — but vacuum-forming is simply not 3D printing.

The FormBox will not create objects, so it is not useful to create genuinely new things. Also, the shapes that it can copy are limited to whatever contours the medium can slump and drape around during forming.

That said, FormBox does look like an excellent complementary tool for makers of all stripes, and simplifying the process of casting should do well for those that wish to make a living selling their creations.

I wish Mayku success in their crowdfunding.

JohnnyBlazer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2016, 04:43 PM

Very cool Kickstarter campaign! Hope to see them do a crowdspeaking campaign so I can help spread the word on social media.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2016, 05:12 PM

Interesting. More of a supplementary to 3D printer than a stand alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules