Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 96)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Nope, looks like you might have to quit video games altogether.

I know The Orange Box had the same problem, but one thing I LOVE that Valve lets you do is CUSTOMIZE THE BUTTONS! Yay!

Why the hell doesn't any other FPS I own let you set your own jump/reload/activate buttons?
I find it hard to believe, but it seems the PS(One) era was the golden age of customization (NFS and NBA Live come to mind). I just don't see why we have regressed in this aspect. Is programming controls really that time-consuming? (Apparently fully custom controls were dropped from Halo 3 as well). Are stick lay-outs even as close to time-consuming compared to full custom?

Even disregarding what I see as the inefficiencies of the default stick lay-out, at this point I'm married because of my continuous play of Halo. I just am unwilling to suffer the frustration and drop-off in quality of play that would involve trying to adapt to the other control scheme.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 01:25 PM

I'm just 'in ya.

You SHOULD be able to set the controls to whatever the hell you want, and I doubt it would take much effort by the developer to allow many different control schemes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 6, 2007, 01:25 PM

Frankly I think people in the PSOne era were not fully accustomed to the controls necessary for playing games in 3D, so the publishers added a lot of customization to help make up for this. But now there are certain accepted standards for controlling these kinds of games and people are used to them, so it's not considered necessary to allow for total customization. I think you're just going to have to get used it. The only thing that really bothers me is that some games invert the direction you have to push to rotate the camera and don't allow you to change it.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
But now there are certain accepted standards for controlling these kinds of games and people are used to them, so it's not considered necessary to allow for total customization.
Yeah, I think the two accepted standards are the default one and the GoldeEye one. I don't think that's too many.

I want to know who the hell uses the second option on Portal.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:30 PM

I'm just 'in ya.
Well you're not far off. My options have been severely reduced.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 01:34 PM

Bioshock is worth the play-through...and if you're still clumsy with the controls all you have to watch out for is silly AI and not some 12yr old waiting to teabag your Spartan corpse.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:43 PM

I'll get to it on some point.

On a side note, the reason I went back to my scheme after Portal was I jumped on a mongoose and noticed I had to use both sticks to drive. Sorry, but after all the racing games I've played its utterly unnatural to steer with my right hand. How do you do it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 04:29 PM

I've played enough Halo that its' default controller scheme is emblazoned in my mind. I like the ability to look around without moving while on a vehicle.

I've never thought of the racing game aspect...you are totally correct, but again, I've played Halo so much that its' controls are the default of my brain.

Side note: One of my roomates friends always plays Halo when he comes here and also was married to the Legacy control scheme. However, I HATE when people change any of my settings, so I berated him enough (calling him a sissy, etc) so that he finally learned the default controls and is actually pretty good at the game.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 04:33 PM

I've played enough Halo that its' default controller scheme is emblazoned in my mind. I like the ability to look around without moving while on a vehicle.

I've never thought of the racing game aspect...you are totally correct, but again, I've played Halo so much that its' controls are the default of my brain.
3 would be my first entrance. It's a good game, but there's a few of the aspects of the gameplay that don't appeal to me.

...and I can look around without moving on the vehicle too, genius. but i still love you

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 04:34 PM

Way to add **** after I quoted you
Side note: One of my roomates friends always plays Halo when he comes here and also was married to the Legacy control scheme. However, I HATE when people change any of my settings, so I berated him enough (calling him a sissy, etc) so that he finally learned the default controls and is actually pretty good at the game.
Uh, how would he change your settings, unless you were letting him play on your account?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 04:43 PM

Most people enjoy the online gameplay so, yep, they change Fatty's controls and I don't like it!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 04:45 PM

Yeah, my friends would be sol, because I'd like them ruining my stats even less than messin' with my controls.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
...and I can look around without moving on the vehicle too, genius. but i still love you
I feel like this control debate mirrors most of what is said in the PL.

I haven't a cue as to how Legacy works, yet I hate it, and you can't properly figure out the awesomeness that is default.

I guess I'm the controller Conservative and you are the slovenly Liberal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 04:48 PM

Yeah, my friends would be sol, because I'd like them ruining my stats even less than messin' with my controls.
A dirty secret of mine is that I wouldn't be a Colonel without the help of my more talented friends.

I'm still as good as them, mind you, but the amount of games my tag has played definitely ain't how many games I've personally played.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 04:49 PM

I feel like this control debate mirrors most of what is said in the PL.

I haven't a cue as to how Legacy works, yet I hate it, and you can't properly figure out the awesomeness that is default.

I guess I'm the controller Conservative and you are the slovenly Liberal.
There is nothing awesome about default. If anything is awesome, it's legacy's ability to navigate on one stick. I suspect Default requires a little more skill to use, if anything.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 04:50 PM

A dirty secret of mine is that I wouldn't be a Colonel without the help of my more talented friends.

I'm still as good as them, mind you, but the amount of games my tag has played definitely ain't how many games I've personally played.
And here I've been thinking I'm vastly inferior to you when, in fact, I'm just pretty inferior.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 05:01 PM

I suspect Default requires a little more skill to use, if anything.
Well there's your answer.

You must be to old to properly use both sticks, I forgive you.....gramps.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 05:04 PM

It's not too old. I lack good motor control/hand-eye. But to think this could just be overcome by a little bit of programming is infuriating.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 05:31 PM

Well there's your answer.

You must be to old to properly use both sticks, I forgive you.....gramps.
Speaking of ol'timers...... I picked up Metroid Prime 3 today, and boy..... its a lot easier lighting this fire with a zippo.... as opposed to 2 sticks

PS>>On a side note...the Wii is working fine, im guessing those hickups with Wii Sports were cause of the scratches due to the crappy U.S. Wii-Sports case...i mean really, the rest of the world got actual DVD cases for Wii Sports, did they *have* to made a special cardboard sleeve for the U.S ? Jeeze Nintendo

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 05:51 PM

Someone I respect highly said that Prime 3 was the best Metroid since Super Metroid.

I'm naturally intrigued.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2007, 04:23 AM

Someone I respect highly said that Prime 3 was the best Metroid since Super Metroid.
I am still working my way through it, but so far I concur with your respect friend. The only thing missing is a 5ft plastic Samus-Ball controller that you roll around your living room.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2007, 02:48 PM

I'm naturally intrigued.
It is the best one out of the last 3 for sure although there is still long assed tedious boss battles and tons of getting lost and backtracking.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 05:10 PM

It's better then the last 2 in some ways, but that's only because it's so similar. You're pretty much playing the exact same game again for the third time, with a different control scheme. It may be more refined and larger in scope then the last 2 Prime games, but it loses a lot in redundancy. The original Prime rocked my world. It's one of my favorite games of all time and was a revolutionary experience. Prime 3 was a nice distraction, but after playing the last 2 Prime games, it felt somewhat tedious and done.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 02:43 AM

I know there are a lot of Dreamcast fans in the gaming sphere, wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo struck up a deal with Sega to allow you to play DC game discs in the Wii ? Maybe after Sega declares the DC EOL ? Just a thought.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2007, 08:06 AM

Aside from the HD size, and the memory card reader, is there any difference between the $399 and $499 PS3? My nephew wants one for Christmas and I'm trying to decide which to get him.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I know there are a lot of Dreamcast fans in the gaming sphere, wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo struck up a deal with Sega to allow you to play DC game discs in the Wii ? Maybe after Sega declares the DC EOL ? Just a thought.
I don't know how feasible it would be but sounds interesting enough, never played with a Dreamcast although friends told me it had some worthy games…

As for PS3, doesn't the $399 model lack PS2 compatibility?, that could be the main difference…

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 09:49 AM

Yep, the 40 gig PS3 plays PS3 games ONLY - no PS2/1 games.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

darkfusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 09:03 PM

360 baby.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Actually It does play PS1 games, just no PS2 games.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2007, 01:57 AM

He has zero interest in that platform, which is good since I would feel dirty buying him a M$ product.

I bought him a Wii for his birthday and now he's craving a PS3.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Actually It does play PS1 games, just no PS2 games.
So, the smaller PS3 doesn't play PS2 games? Well, since he doesn't have a PS2 or any of those games, would that really matter?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
He has zero interest in that platform, which is good since I would feel dirty buying him a M$ product.
What's with the childish irrational Microsoft hatred? They do some good things (gaming, hardware), some bad things (Windows), some laughable things (Zune), and a whole lot of mediocre things (Office, hotmail, live etc.). So what?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 08:56 AM

Just wondering if the XB360 failure rates and after sales service factored into your evaluation there.

Speaking of after sales service, Nintendo got back to me regarding my Wii (pretty fast considering it was via email), and told me that due to customs and tax regulations they cannot ship anything outside N.America(i think) and that they would gladly diagnose the console and disc if they could ship it back to an address in the U.S.

Now, i have bought and used Nintendo Products through Nintendo of Australia, and have had an absolute horrid experience with them.

PS>>I for one am not buying anything from M$ for it's dodgy(at best) quality control... there are competitors who don't charge as much and supply better quality products. (in every market they have invaded except for office, and thats only because there are no competitors left thanks to M$)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 9, 2007 at 03:08 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 03:11 PM

So, the smaller PS3 doesn't play PS2 games? Well, since he doesn't have a PS2 or any of those games, would that really matter?
If you have no PS2 games this shouldn't matter at all then. If you want a cheaper system then this is it. The only difference is the backwards compatibility, 2 usb ports, instead of 4 (shouldn't matter also as the controllers are wireless), and no card readers.

All have ethernet and wireless, most importantly, people forget, the HD is also user upgradable to any standard 2.5 SATA drive, which can be bought from anywhere online cheap.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 03:25 PM

I bought him a Wii for his birthday and now he's craving a PS3.

Who mentioned an M$ product? All I said was the 40gig PS3 has no backwards compatibility (although apparently it plays PS1 games - weird).

And I think it does matter, since the best games available for the PS3 are still PS2 games. The PS3 library is growing, but being able to play games like God of War can help hold you over until the AAA titles come out on the PS3.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2007, 03:46 PM

Honestly, I never would have bought my PS3 if it didn't play PS2 games. I have several good PS2 games that I still play, and I wouldn't have wanted to have two PlayStations hanging around taking up valuable TV inputs. I can see why Sony made the choice, but I think it's dumb.

You need more compelling PS3 games, period, and then you'll sell more PS3s.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 03:49 PM

For me, it was important because I still have PS2 games, if you don't have any its debatable. If it's that big a deal, just look for a 60GB, they are also $399, if you can find one.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
What's with the childish irrational Microsoft hatred? They do some good things (gaming, hardware), some bad things (Windows), some laughable things (Zune), and a whole lot of mediocre things (Office, hotmail, live etc.). So what?
I dislike their products, business practices, and executives. So, I avoid giving them money when I can.

Plus, I'd never buy a 360 because I hear they're dropping like flies.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2007, 01:42 AM

Who mentioned an M$ product? All I said was the 40gig PS3 has no backwards compatibility (although apparently it plays PS1 games - weird).

And I think it does matter, since the best games available for the PS3 are still PS2 games. The PS3 library is growing, but being able to play games like God of War can help hold you over until the AAA titles come out on the PS3.
I meant to quote darkfusion.

360 baby.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2007, 01:45 AM

Bah, it's only $100, if he does want to play PS2 games I'll never hear the end of it.

Well, he's actually a really good kid, he wouldn't say a word. But I'd hate to give him something inferior.
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
... and tons of getting lost and backtracking.
Practically a staple of all Metroid games.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 05:01 PM

I just got an 360 a couple weeks ago, and so far its great. Love the games, xbox Live is nice (fugly interface of course... its MS design at its finest). I'm crossing my fingers in hopes I didn't get a bum unit that will die soon.

My only complaints thus far is that its loud when running (fans + DVD drive) and the included headset has a lame mic.

Working on getting it to recognize my Mac for sharing of music, video and photos. Until then I just pop in my USB drive that has all of my media on it and play from there if I need to. That works great, especially after the latest xbox live update that adds more codec options for video playback.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 05:05 PM

Connect360.

And yes its embarrassingly loud.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 06:41 PM

My newer unit hasn't crashed yet. The old one was freezing days into buying it so I think the new 360s are in the clear.

The only thing that could make a 360 louder is if it ran off a chainsaw engine.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2007, 06:43 PM

My first one ran for over a year and then died, so I wouldn't assume that you're safe.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 06:53 PM

It has another year on the replacement plan at this point so if it decides to go it better do it before next December.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 03:02 PM

don't know if this has been posted, it's funny.
The PS3 vs. Wii
45/47

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 06:14 PM

Connect360.

And yes its embarrassingly loud.
Yeah, got Connect360, just gotta figure out my router and crap. I'm a dummy when it comes to network stuff (as well as a lot of other stuff).

I guess a good thing about it being so loud is that it gives me a solid excuse to jack up the volume while I play games.

Just got Mass Effect, and so far lovin it. Can't wait to get some sort of HDTV so I can see this game in full glory.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 06:21 PM

Connect 360 seems incapable of sharing my music collection. I get videos and photos to share, but it never recognizes my music library.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 08:53 PM

Connect 360 seems incapable of sharing my music collection. I get videos and photos to share, but it never recognizes my music library.
It works fine for me, but obviously iTunes Store stuff won't share.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 10:31 PM

I only have a few albums from the iTunes store

I used to have iTunes on a separate HD from my music library but I recently got Tiger and now iTunes and my music reside on the same HD.

I don't get it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules