Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook G4 backlight dead. What to do?

ibook G4 backlight dead. What to do?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 10:59 AM

My GF has an iBook G4 1.07 GHz. Yesterday the backlight died. I have to do more testing, but as far as I can tell, the machine still works fine (with a very faint screen seen in the background). Yes, I tried increasing the illumination, and zapping the PRAM for all that's worth (nothing). Also, I took out the battery and held zapped the power management thingy or whatever that's called.

It did NOT exhibit any of that flickering or instability associated with that known logic board problem. (I had a G3 model with that problem.) It was working 100% perfectly... and then all of a sudden the backlight no longer works.

What to do? I'll probably take it in, but I'm thinking it may cost several hundred to get it replaced, assuming that is actually the problem. We have a MacBook which I can let her use, but I'm a little apprehensive, because the iBook was her recipe laptop for when she cooks. I'm not overly keen on having my MacBook live in the kitchen... I suppose I could use this thing as a Mac mini replacement or something? Does the iBook G4 handle working with the lid closed well?

P.S. I did a search, and the relevant topics on this I found were from more than 6 months ago.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 11:07 AM

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 11:31 AM

Yeah, analogue SPRINKLES' suggestion will work, and work fine. However I would hesitate to say that it'll cost "several hundred" to get this fixed, only because you don't know what part failed. If it just "stopped" illuminating, there are a few things that can cause that, including the inverter that powers the cold cathode lamps, and a connector issue. I'd take it to an authorized shop and have them give you an estimate before you decide to relocate it permanently, or spend money on a flat panel monitor to make it functional without its display working.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 12:11 PM

Keep in mind also you can now get a new MacBook for $1149.00 CAN + a free iPod Touch + Free Printer + $100 off for education discount.

If you sell the iPod and Printer the whole computer will cost you about $800 tops.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 08:48 PM

If your handy with small tools, you can repair the reed switch yourself. You will have to take apart almost the whole iBook to carefully remove the wiring loom from the hinges and see if there is any breaks in the wiring. If so you can try and repair the breaks or replace the reed switch loom.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 08:56 PM

Here are a couple of links with detailed photos of doing what I suggested if your keen:

Backlight Fix 1

Backlight Fix 2

I used the first link myself and replaced the loom in about 5 hours of tedious work. That iBook is still running strong today.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2008, 05:16 PM

The display on my G4 iBook exhibits the same dim screen issue after I threw it across the room...

mattcass
Jun 21, 2008, 02:52 AM

I had the same issue. Backlight just stopped working for no apparent reason. Although, there were signs of logic board issues prior to the lamp failing.

This is what I did:

1) Took apart iBook. Found worn cable next to screen hinge. Replaced entire reed switch and cables. Did not fix problem.

2) Took iBook to Apple for diagnosis. Inverter board for LCD tested. Problem not solved. I was told it was either logic board or LCD (each ~$800 to replace with Apple).

3) Found working replacement LCD on craigslist and tested with iBook. Still no backlight.

From all that, I think it's safe to say it's the logic board and not easily repairable. I hope your iBook is easier. I went through a fair bit of hassle to end up with a broken iBook.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 09:49 PM

I haven't had a chance to take it in yet, but will this w/e.

As I said, the machine seems to work, as I can see the LCD... as if the backlight was just off. I can even navigate a few menus, at least the ones that I can sort of see. Bad news though... It won't even work via a VGA cable to an external screen, so it's not simply the backlight. (I tried two separate cables and two separate screens.) I also managed to navigate to the display prefs and played with the brightness setting. Nope. And I used the display brightness setting on the keyboard as well, to no avail.

It also works fine via Target mode. So, right now it functions basically only as a glorified external hard drive.

bagheera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 06:13 PM

I have this exact problem! Here's an idea... Have you tried using Screen Sharing and dialing into it from another Mac? I don't have a VGA cable or external screen to try, but I have an iMac and connected to the laptop just fine through Screen Sharing. I'd really like to get mine fixed by Friday, as I'm going on a trip for a week and would prefer to have computer access, so I'm hoping a little speedy trouble-shooting and Googling will help.

If you figured out or figure out anything else to try, please let me know.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Bad news though... It won't even work via a VGA cable to an external screen, so it's not simply the backlight. (I tried two separate cables and two separate screens.)

It also works fine via Target mode. So, right now it functions basically only as a glorified external hard drive.
Logic board.

Did the external display show the same behavior as the internal, or was it jacked up in a different way?

Open it up and remove the drive, get yourself a cheap enclosure and have an actual (although probably small) external hard drive.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 12:27 AM

Strange. They said there was something wrong with the screen itself. They had a (relatively) inexpensive used screen on hand so they swapped that in and now the iBook works fine. Actually he said that the VGA port still doesn't work 100% properly so I suspect there is actually something wrong with that path too, but like I said the new internal screen works perfectly now.

However, it does make me worry that the logic board (or something between the logic board and VGA port, if anything) is going to go belly up in a year or whatever. The warranty on the work they did is only 30 days, but hey I guess it beats spending 4 times as much on a new MacBook for the time being.

If this lasts until spring 2010 we'll be happy. We can pick up a new MacBook then, complete with the perennial free iPod deal (for education purchases). And maybe they'll have a new form factor by then too. If it only lasts until spring 2009 then we'll still be happy, but less happy. And if it only lasts until September, we'll be p!ssed.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 03:12 AM

It's an iBook G4 for Christ sakes. Chuck it. Sell it to somebody who's looking for a headless. Get a refurb MB for $949.

PaKo7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2009, 09:51 AM

With my iBook G4, the backlight occasionally occasionally went off or failed to turn on after waking from sleep because the power adapter was going bad; a faulty connection developed where the cable from the computer connects to the adapter. The backlight was more likely to cut out after the adapter got warm and then was handled or moved.

After replacing the 45W Apple adapter with a 65W third party adapter, the iBook worked fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules