Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius

Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius (Page 12)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I didn't take away your right to express your opinion, or resort to namecalling. I mean, it's not like I called you a di*k or anything like that. Right?
Saying that you like a product isn't being a dick. Repeatedly shooting down anyone who has an opinion in conflict with you is being a dick.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Saying that you like a product isn't being a dick. Repeatedly shooting down anyone who has an opinion in conflict with you is being a dick.
Think about what you just said for a little while and we can talk about it in PM later, if you want. IMO, you've lived a rather sheltered existence if you believe that's true.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 08:29 PM

Most other people here are able to argue their own opinions while still recognizing the validity of someone else's opinion.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2011, 08:36 PM

Most other people here are able to argue their own opinions while still recognizing the validity of someone else's opinion.
Sometimes we have to remember not everyone here is mature, an adult, or able to form proper arguments. It's best to walk away before things devolve to name calling.

To quote The Naked Gun 2 1/2, "Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants? "

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 09:09 PM

Ha ha. Mr. Poopy Pants.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 09:19 PM

Hogwash
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 09:58 PM

I'm with Shaddim; I greatly prefer a 10" screen and higher performance and will definitely pay extra for it.

However, I have two friends who are still quite happy with their first gen 7" Galaxy Tabs, which suggests to me that other people might have different priorities and needs from their technology than I have.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 10:03 PM

BTW, Shaddim, you may note that I have a 10" tablet too. I just prefer the Fire.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 10:15 PM

So? I know a guy who prefers the smell of skunk over watermelon.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 10:19 PM

Oh, there you go again.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I'm with Shaddim; I greatly prefer a 10" screen and higher performance and will definitely pay extra for it.

However, I have two friends who are still quite happy with their first gen 7" Galaxy Tabs, which suggests to me that other people might have different priorities and needs from their technology than I have.
If you gave them the opportunity to trade them for a vastly superior 10" tablet for $100 do you think they'd bite?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 10:23 PM

Oh, there you go again.
Yep, 7" tablets aren't a good solution, sorry.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Dec 6, 2011, 10:23 PM

There's no point going back and forth on this. You're not going to change each others minds, you're not stating new information, and it's getting unpleasant in here. So why not just agree to disagree, and move on?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2011, 09:08 AM

I still think the Accord/BMW debate is the encapsulation of this entire, childish argument.

Someone who doesn't, or refuses to, understand why anyone would choose an Accord over a 328 that is "only" $5000 more, plus considerable operation/maintenance costs...well, there's not much you can say to that. Shaddim is clearly disconnected from reality.

I've recently been comparing cars and the difference between paying $28,000 and $29,500 is a significant factor to me - I'm saying "do I need a built-in GPS and leather seats, really?" And at the end of the day, and I'm not getting that upgrade - because I don't need it, and because I'll take the money, instead.

Fascinating, how someone professes not to understand how that process works.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 09:20 AM

If you gave them the opportunity to trade them for a vastly superior 10" tablet for $100 do you think they'd bite?
I don't think so. One guy carries his 7" tablet everywhere in his jacket pocket; a 10" tablet can't do this. The other guy uses at work a 10" iPad everyday and sometimes a 10" Asus to test software, and seems to prefer his 7" tablet.

Moving on.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I still think the Accord/BMW debate is the encapsulation of this entire, childish argument.

Someone who doesn't, or refuses to, understand why anyone would choose an Accord over a 328 that is "only" $5000 more, plus considerable operation/maintenance costs...well, there's not much you can say to that. Shaddim is clearly disconnected from reality.

I've recently been comparing cars and the difference between paying $28,000 and $29,500 is a significant factor to me - I'm saying "do I need a built-in GPS and leather seats, really?" And at the end of the day, and I'm not getting that upgrade - because I don't need it, and because I'll take the money, instead.

Fascinating, how someone professes not to understand how that process works.
Once again, a car analogy sucks, no surprise there.

For one, the iPad's operation/maintenance costs are not higher than those of "other" tablets.

For another, the iPad is actually going to have a resale value when it comes time to replace it. Of course, time will tell, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to sell a two-year-old entry-level iPad for $200, whereas you'll be hard-pressed to find somebody to pay you $50 for a two-year-old Kindle Fire.

That doesn't affect the rest of your argumentation, of course, which I do buy.

I think Shaddim has a point that a lot of people who buy a 7" tablet will find it inadequate at some point, but I also believe that, for a number of people, it will be fine BECAUSE it's a 7" tablet.
I don't think that what Amazon's loss-leader pricing will leave of the latter segment will be large enough to make it interesting for Apple to build a 7" iPad (especially since there are serious usability concerns at that size—see link above for why the 7" size combines the bad of the mobile with the bad of the 10" in some respects—and Apple has gone on record as saying that smaller doesn't make sense for what they're doing).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post

Yes, ignore all my other points.

Also, FYI, the BMW will have $10k more value if you go trade it in 3 years. That's a net $5k profit to defer the higher fuel and maintenance costs... and all that time you were driving a nicer car. I'm not the one who needs a reality check.

Buying a cheap, stripped-out 7" tablet, when you can have a far superior 10" for only $100 more, makes no sense. The 7 isn't that much more portable, despite the claims that you can just "stick it in your jacket pocket", the reality of that is that I've tried it and it's not nearly as convenient as you might think once you include a case and/or sleeve. Hate to break it to you all, but the 7" size is just inferior, and no amount of name-calling or ridicule is going to change that.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2011, 11:13 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you. I wouldn't buy a 7" tablet, and I'll be buying an iPad immediately once the third version is released.

But I can understanding perfectly why many people would, when an extra $100 is a much bigger deal than to you or I.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
For another, the iPad is actually going to have a resale value when it comes time to replace it.
This argument has never made sense to me.

1) I don't buy an electronic device for its resale value.
2) Resale value is generally expressed in percentages of original purchase price. Even if say after two years a $200 device loses 50% of its value, and a $500 device loses 25% of its value, you've still lost more money on the latter device. The argument only has some significance if the original up front price of the two units were the same.

PS. I much, much prefer my Prius to pretty much all BMWs. However, if someone gave me a BMW 5 series for the same price as the Prius, I would get the BMW 5 series... and then promptly sell it and buy a Prius.

This kinda reminds me when I went to Toyota dealership to buy a Prius. While I was waiting I decided to browse again through some of the other Toyota models and the Lexus models too. Some dude saw me looking at the Lexus and said he was picking one up. I told him it seemed decent but it just wasn't for me. This (forward) guy then tells me if I can afford the Lexus then I should get one. I said no, because I actually preferred the Prius, and even if I didn't, I didn't feel like spending twice as much on a car that isn't going to be doing anything more for me. He looked at me as if I was completely nuts and said that I should get one if I can afford one. The guy was so convinced of his own opinion's superiority, that he simply had his mind closed to anything else. Sounds familiar.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
This kinda reminds me when I went to Toyota dealership to buy a Prius. While I was waiting I decided to browse again through some of the other Toyota models and the Lexus models too. Some dude saw me looking at the Lexus and said he was picking one up. I told him it seemed decent but it just wasn't for me. This (forward) guy then tells me if I can afford the Lexus then I should get one. I said no, because I actually preferred the Prius, and even if I didn't, I didn't feel like spending twice as much on a car that isn't going to be doing anything more for me. He looked at me as if I was completely nuts and said that I should get one if I can afford one. The guy was so convinced of his own opinion's superiority, that he simply had his mind closed to anything else. Sounds familiar.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 11:52 AM

The 7 isn't that much more portable, despite the claims that you can just "stick it in your jacket pocket", the reality of that is that I've tried it and it's not nearly as convenient as you might think once you include a case and/or sleeve. Hate to break it to you all, but the 7" size is just inferior, and no amount of name-calling or ridicule is going to change that.
I have to disagree that the size difference isn't much. I can fit the Fire on the outside pocket of my paratrooper-style bag, even while in a sleeve. The iPad wont' fit in that pocket naked, so I have to put it inside my bag rolling around with papers, notebooks, etc. Anecdotal, yes, but that's how I travel everywhere I go, so it's a pretty important difference. Also, I can board an airplane with the Fire on the inside pocket of my coat, but the iPad has to be inside my carryon, stashed away somewhere. And in the common event that my bag ends up somewhere on the plane that I'm not at, then I'm saved from tripping over other passengers just to get it. Personally I see the 7" size as a convenience.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
This argument has never made sense to me.

1) I don't buy an electronic device for its resale value.
2) Resale value is generally expressed in percentages of original purchase price. Even if say after two years a $200 device loses 50% of its value, and a $500 device loses 25% of its value, you've still lost more money on the latter device. The argument only has some significance if the original up front price of the two units were the same.
If you factor in resale value (assuming you WILL re-sell it), the investment into the iPad over two years drops to $300, while the Kindle Fire is still $200. It massively reduces the premium you pay for the more expensive product.

The argument is only worthless if you'll keep it anyway, but then, the useful life of a device becomes a primary point, and the iPad arguably wins on that count, as well (YMMV depending upon your needs and intended uses, of course)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 12:00 PM

I have to disagree that the size difference isn't much. I can fit the Fire on the outside pocket of my paratrooper-style bag, even while in a sleeve.
Isn't that a little like saying "My laptop doesn't fit in my handbag." There are handbags that won't accommodate an 11" Air but there are also handbags that will take a 17" Pro. You may not have bought the bag to match the Kindle but it seems a rather arbitrary argument to use here.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 12:06 PM

If you get a handbag big enough for the iPad, the 11" Air starts getting more attractive, but it costs significantly more. I have four portable devices:

1) iPhone 4: It goes with me everywhere.
2) iPad 2: It sits at home. I never take it with me anywhere.
3) 11" Win 7 Acer laptop (which actually cost me less than the iPad): I take it when I want something more than the iPhone, but still reasonably small.
4) 13.3" MacBook Pro: My primary on-the-road workhorse.

My favourite for the plane out of all of the above is the 11" laptop, although I'd like something even smaller. The iPhone is too small for this for movies, but a 7" device would be perfect for media consumption on the plane, unless I need to do real work on it. Then it'd be the 11" laptop. The 13.3" is good for business class, but I usually don't take business class because of the added cost. The 13" MacBook Pro is annoying in economy class seats.

hayesk
Dec 7, 2011, 12:06 PM

Yes, ignore all my other points.

Also, FYI, the BMW will have $10k more value if you go trade it in 3 years. That's a net $5k profit to defer the higher fuel and maintenance costs... and all that time you were driving a nicer car. I'm not the one who needs a reality check.
I can't speak for imitchel, but I'm certainly not going to trade it in in 3 years. I'm going drive it until the cost of maintaining exceeds the cost of a new car - likely over 10 years. Why would I trade in a three year old car? It's still new. That would be a complete waste of money. After ten years of maintenance, premium gas, and $5K more upfront is going to be a lot more than the price difference of a ten year old 328 vs accord.

You still don't see that the "premium" product is not for everyone and is not always the best decision. Really?

hayesk
Dec 7, 2011, 12:08 PM

You'd turn down a new 328i in favor of an Accord, even if the BMW is only $5k more?
Would, and did.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I can't speak for imitchel, but I'm certainly not going to trade it in in 3 years. I'm going drive it until the cost of maintaining exceeds the cost of a new car - likely over 10 years. Why would I trade in a three year old car? It's still new. That would be a complete waste of money. After ten years of maintenance, premium gas, and $5K more upfront is going to be a lot more than the price difference of a ten year old 328 vs accord.

You still don't see that the "premium" product is not for everyone and is not always the best decision. Really?
I'm the same way. I'm going to keep my Accord until it's financially untenable. Considering it's 12 years old right now, and it's still dirt cheap to maintain, I hope I have a long time left

And it'll be the same with my Fire. I'll keep it until it doesn't work, not until the latest and greatest thing comes out. I'm that way with all of my technology. Work gave me the iPad, and offered to get me an iPad 2, but I don't see any added benefit, and I think the original iPad looks more handsome, so I'll keep it. I'm still using a late-2008 MacBook Pro because it works perfectly for what I need to do, and it still handles stuff like Aperture pretty speedily. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge of technology because what I use my technology for isn't bleeding edge. I'd like to think that I'm more informed and connected to the gadget world than the average Joe, but I'm still not doing much more with my stuff than the average person. About the most intensive thing I do with my MacBook Pro is small edits in Aperture, with the Kindle Fire is a game or two of Angry Birds, and with the iPad is a game or two of Angry Birds.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Isn't that a little like saying "My laptop doesn't fit in my handbag." There are handbags that won't accommodate an 11" Air but there are also handbags that will take a 17" Pro. You may not have bought the bag to match the Kindle but it seems a rather arbitrary argument to use here.
Yes, it's completely arbitrary. But, that still doesn't mean it's wrong of me, as Shaddim suggests, to prefer the 7" form factor. For some people, such as myself, there are benefits.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 02:07 PM

Would, and did.
You were offered a new 328i for only $5k more than a new Accord?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2011, 02:09 PM

Yes, it's completely arbitrary. But, that still doesn't mean it's wrong of me, as Shaddim suggests, to prefer the 7" form factor. For some people, such as myself, there are benefits.
I didn't say anything was wrong with you, I just said it's a poor product and not a very good value. You're adding all that other stuff, for some reason.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2011, 09:57 PM

Interesting.

HP Decides to Open Source WebOS | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

After much discussion, Hewlett-Packard on Friday announced that it will not sell its webOS unit but instead contribute the platform to the open-source community.

The company said it will "continue to be active in the development and support of webOS," but handing it over to the open-source community will help improve applications and Web services for next-generation devices.

"WebOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable," Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer, said in a statement. "By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices."

HP said the underlying code of webOS will be made available under an open source license, allowing developers, partners, HP engineers, and other hardware manufacturers to add their spin to the OS.

The company pledged to release a charter for the project under the following principles: the goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform; HP will be an active participant and investor in the project; good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation; and software will be provided as a pure open source project.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2011, 01:47 AM

I think the ramifications of this news are being underestimated by a lot of people. Open sourcing the OS was probably the least likely outcome but with the most potential. I'm shocked to see HP do it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I think the ramifications of this news are being underestimated by a lot of people. Open sourcing the OS was probably the least likely outcome but with the most potential. I'm shocked to see HP do it.
Indeed. This makes the TouchPad interesting. The open source community will do far more with the OS than any corporation ever could.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2011, 08:56 AM

Indeed. This makes the TouchPad interesting. The open source community will do far more with the OS than any corporation ever could.
That makes it an interesting but completely useless tinker-toy, unless it gets real corporate support.

I'm not holding my breath on HP actually doing something right. Their track record is one of botching up whatever they can, so there's no reason to believe that they won't completely **** this up, too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That makes it an interesting but completely useless tinker-toy, unless it gets real corporate support.
I agree. Without proper support from HP, it will go the way of most other open source projects. Liked by a few geeks, but never mainstream.

P.S. More info on those drunk RIM execs.

Fired RIM execs 'chewed through restraints' on flight - CBC News

They were drunk right from the beginning. They had threatened to punch a flight attendant, and threatened to "off people when they left the plane". They were forcibly restrained by the attendants and passengers, and then put in plastic wrist restraints and taped up, but they chewed through that.

The diversion cost AIR Canada roughly $200000, but they only will get $72000 from the RIM execs.

hayesk
Dec 12, 2011, 12:36 PM

You were offered a new 328i for only $5k more than a new Accord?
Is there a reason you didn't believe me the first time? Yes. The Accord I bought was in the lower $30K range. The BMW was in the upper $30K range. I don't remember the exact prices but it was close to $5K. That was in 2004. I'm still driving the Accord today.

hayesk
Dec 12, 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, like add lots of features with nobody overseeing the user interface or doing experience testing.

It'll be great for tinkerers, but terrible for consumers.

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2011, 03:40 PM

Well, I did it. Pushed the button, made the purchase, kindle touch 3g with ads included. Lighted case.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 03:47 PM

is there a reason you didn't believe me the first time? Yes. The accord i bought was in the lower $30k range. The bmw was in the upper $30k range. I don't remember the exact prices but it was close to $5k. That was in 2004. I'm still driving the accord today.
2004? Jeepers, low $30s for an Accord? That come with K-Y?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well, I did it. Pushed the button, made the purchase, kindle touch 3g with ads included. Lighted case.
Smart buy. They'll like that.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 04:05 PM

2004? Jeepers, low $30s for an Accord? That come with K-Y?
My '99 Accord was $28k brand new. My E-class was $42k

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 04:11 PM

I asked because I just checked on a new V6 EX-L with every option and was quoted $29,200. A base LX is $19k even. Low 30s is robbery.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 12:00 AM

For the Prius the purchase price was tempered by the fact that I got some serious tax credits. In fact, I got the provincial tax credit twice. I first leased the car, and collected the tax credit. Then after the lease was up a few years later, I bought the car, and collected the tax credit again, due to a loophole in the tax credit law. You could collect the tax credit for leases, and for purchases of new and used cars, but nowhere did it specify it couldn't be the same car.

--

Here is some further info on the RIM executives' Air Canada debacle:

RIM executives forced plane into full lockdown while drunk; court transcript - thestar.com

Crown counsel Gerri-Lyn Nelson painted a frenzied scene aboard flight 31— a Toronto to Beijing journey — where passengers had to help flight attendants, more than once, subdue the men, who fought to get out of their restraints.

In the final 80 minutes of the flight, the plane was in complete lockdown, with no passengers allowed out of their seats.

During the Nov. 30 hearing, Nelson told B.C. Provincial Court Judge Ronald Fratkin that George Campbell and Paul Alexander Wilson were extremely unruly and belligerent to passengers and the airline crew, kicking seats, yelling and swearing.

Wilson attempted to break the plastic restraints with his mouth for an hour or two, and “they ultimately chewed through the restraints,” she said in court.

“Violence on an aircraft is something that everybody worries about as we fly and as evidenced by the security that we now have to go through just to get on the plane,” Nelson said.

“This wasn’t just being drunk, sort of a happy drunk coming back from Mexico with a couple too many beer. This was way over the top,” the transcript reads.

The Boeing 777 aircraft, carrying 314 passengers and 17 crew members, was already north of Alaska, when the captain, who told police he had never seen anything like this in 38 years of flying, decided to turn the plane around.

“The captain didn’t think that Mr. Campbell even knew where he was,” Nelson said.

According to the transcript, Campbell, who was vice-president, manufacturing, and Paul Alexander Wilson, who was vice-president, supply chain, were heading to China for business, one for a week, the other for two weeks.

Robert Parsonage, the duty lawyer who represented the men, outlined for court that neither man had a criminal record in Canada or the United Kingdom. Both men were born in Scotland.

Wilson, who holds a master’s degree, is in Canada as a permanent resident, arriving in March 2010. Married with one child, Wilson earned about $10,000 a month, Parsonage said.

Campbell is in Canada on a work permit until April 2012 and was in the process of applying for permanent residency. Married with three children, he earned about $12,000 a month, the lawyer said.

So, VPs at big tech firms make a bit less than I might have guessed.

By the way, I recently came across this article in the Economist that must have caused some consternation for Scots:

Scots and alcohol: The battle of the bottle | The Economist

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2011, 12:11 AM

I asked because I just checked on a new V6 EX-L with every option and was quoted $29,200. A base LX is $19k even. Low 30s is robbery.
Before adding any options:

With every option, I hit $37k.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 12:25 AM

My sis got her Mercedes for cost + 300 bux. It's nice to know people in the business I guess.

Mind you I believe when the Prius came out in Canada, Toyota was rumoured to be only paying their dealerships 3-digit $ anyway, which kept the price down. It was interesting to call up dealers only to hear them say they'd be willing to order one for you, but that they wouldn't actually care much if you went to another dealer because their profit margin was so low... and much less than a Toyota Echo.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 01:18 AM

Before adding any options:

With every option, I hit $37k.
Yup. That's what I was quoted by the SM at Airport Honda in Alcoa TN. I know him well and he may have thought it was a cash deal, not sure.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 01:20 AM

Anyway, this doesn't change the crappy value and questionable size of the Kindle Fire.

Now it's taking more of a beating, this time by the NYT.

As Kindle Fire Faces Critics, Remedies Are Promised - Yahoo! Finance
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 01:36 AM

Anyway, this doesn't change the crappy value and questionable size of the Kindle Fire.

Now it's taking more of a beating, this time by the NYT.

As Kindle Fire Faces Critics, Remedies Are Promised - Yahoo! Finance
Regarding this:
there is no external volume control.
Amazon seems to have fallen into the same trap that Apple did with the original iPod touch. So at least they're in good company.

BTW, when that original iPod touch came out, I said the design was stupid because it had no volume buttons. There were a lot of Apple apologists who claimed it wasn't needed. Then Apple released the next iPod touch with volume buttons.

The off switch is easy to hit by accident.
Yeah, that's lame, but then again it's easy to fix.

Web pages take a long time to load.
You can turn off Silk if it's slowing you down.

There is no privacy on the device; a spouse or child who picks it up will instantly know everything you have been doing.
This is an issue, but ironically it's the same complaint I have with the iPad and iPad 2. There is simply no privacy on these aside from the 4-digit login. Apple expects everyone in a household to have his own iPad device, because there are no individual user accounts in iOS. On a phone that's OK, but definitely not on an iPad. Welcome to Windows 95.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 14, 2011 at 01:44 AM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 02:17 AM

Ignoring the part where he talks about not being able to select links on web pages because 7" is too small for a tablet?
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2011, 09:12 AM

Ignoring the part where he talks about not being able to select links on web pages because 7" is too small for a tablet?
Yes, because browsing web pages is, at best, a secondary task for the Fire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules