Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video in Safari

Video in Safari
Nassifer
Forum Regular
May 27, 2013, 01:54 PM

Hello, I can no longer view videos in Safari, like from CNN, and on Facebook I see all the still images, but when I click to watch the video all I get is sound. Is there a setting that I have missed or something, if I go and use Chrome it is all good.

P
May 27, 2013, 05:04 PM

Most likely your Flash plugin has been blocked for being too old and insecure. Try downloading and installing the latest version of Flash.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2013, 02:49 AM

So Safari does not update itself like Chrome, and has outdated plugins? I don't really like the Chrome esthetic, but if it is more likely to be up to date, should I switch.

P
May 28, 2013, 04:26 AM

Safari updates itself, but it does not update Flash - that is up to Flash itself, and works about as well as Flash does: not very. The workaround Apple put in to keep users safe is that it will block older versions of Flash.

Chrome does not support plugins, and instead has Flash integrated into the browser. This means that Flash is always as up to date as Chrome is, but on occasion Chrome users have been more vulnerable because the latest Flash code hasn't made it into the Chrome code yet. Pick your poison.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules