Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 16X DVD +/- R Discs & Compatibility w/ Aftermarket Superdrives.

New 16X DVD +/- R Discs & Compatibility w/ Aftermarket Superdrives.
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 05:22 PM

I'm hoping that anyone can take a stab at answering this question since this is somewhat drive specific, but my main question is about the new 16X blank DVDs.

My 15" Al PowerBook G4 has a Pioneer DVR-K05 drive as a replacement for the OEM combo drive. I have a PatchBurn profile just in case although burning support should be there with Tiger. I have had no trouble burning DVDs at 8X, although the drive is very picky about the media and will produce coasters from cheap media burned at 8X (had to lower the burn speed to 4X in some cases).

Now onto my question...

Memorex so far is the only vendor I know of now selling 16X-compatible DVD +/- R discs. However, a warning label is included notifying 8X writer owners to upgrade their firmware. Apparently Pioneer has a new firmware upgrade (though I'm not sure if it's support for reading and writing on 16X-compatible discs) but it can only be executed in Windows.

Has anyone successfully burned at 8X speeds on 16X discs WITHOUT upgrading their firmware on either their OEM superdrive or an aftermarket? How about those who have swapped their drives for aftermarket whose vendor doesn't really offer Mac support?

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 04:53 AM

So I take it that no one has tried 16X blank DVDs on their 8X drives yet...

Forum Links
Forum Rules