Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgraded to Mountain Lion, still getting invisible icons for downloads

Upgraded to Mountain Lion, still getting invisible icons for downloads
steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2012, 07:24 PM

I am so frustrated because I seem to be the only one having this issue.
When I download a pic or MPG to the desktop around 20% of the time the icon is invisible. If I move it around it appears.
This happened to me under Lion and now Mountain Lion. I tried to disable some safari extensions (ghostery and click to flash) to see if they could be causing the issue but no luck.
It makes my Mac feel as if it's unstable and it's a behavior that should not exist.
Any ideas?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2012, 09:39 PM

If your problem just happens in Safari, as I assume since you talk about Safari extensions, try another browser. Firefox, Chrome eg. Post back if it happens with those browsers also.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2012, 10:09 AM

It doesn't seem to be happening with firefox but I am going to use it tonight exclusively and see if it happens at all.
Odd that if it's happening with Safari that I'd be the only one

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2012, 02:03 AM

Sounds to me like Finder got corrupted.

The next time this happens, immediately restart in Safe Boot mode and see if that puts things to right. Then restart normally.

I'm not suggesting this is the workaround, but rather, that it may help in identifying the source of the problem.

Safe Booting often fixes a myriad of problems, and it can't hurt, so indeed I think it's worth trying.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Sounds to me like Finder got corrupted.
The next time this happens, immediately restart in Safe Boot mode and see if that puts things to right. Then restart normally.
I'm not suggesting this is the workaround, but rather, that it may help in identifying the source of the problem.
Safe Booting often fixes a myriad of problems, and it can't hurt, so indeed I think it's worth trying.
How do I do safe boot again?

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2012, 07:16 AM

Restart while holding the Command+Shift keys. Keep holding until you are asked for your password; enter it, and then allow the computer to finish booting. This will take a longer than normal as some diagnostics and repairs are being done. After the computer has finished this Safe Boot, restart normally.

Note: During the Safe Boot many of the non-essentials functions and third part apps will not load. This is normal, don't be alarmed.

Please report your progress.
Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 07:31 AM

Safe Boot works with the Shift key.

Holding both Command AND Shift is unnecessary.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try it when I get home tonight and report back after downloading some pics.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Safe Boot works with the Shift key.
Holding both Command AND Shift is unnecessary.
Good catch, SH. I should have known that…
Harv

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2012, 07:50 PM

Welp, did everything. Deleted finder plist, reset launch services, started while pressing shift, deleted ghostery and switched to do not track plus.
Still getting invisible icons with the text below it. When I right click on icon and click get info the image shows up, or if I just move it around.
I don't get it but it's pissing me off!

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2012, 03:00 AM

Alas, I too am running out of suggestions.

Perhaps you can try reinstalling the OS. Can't hurt, and is probably worth the effort.
Harv

P
Sep 15, 2012, 03:55 AM

It could be a corrupted Quicklook plugin. Check your Quicklook folders - there is one in /System/Library, one in /Library and potentially one in ~/Library. If you have a third-party plugin there, consider removing it or looking for an updated version.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2012, 06:43 AM

I see a quicklook thing called icon. What happens if you trash one of these things, is a new one generated?
I don't see any third party except for Office, which I don't have installed but i do have Pages.

I'm not going to reinstall the OS because it's been doing this since the computer was new, I don't think it will do anything.

P
Sep 15, 2012, 07:22 AM

Quicklook plugins are not updated if you trash them, but you can move them out of that folder and restart to see if it helps. If it doesn't, just move it back in.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2012, 07:57 AM

The icon isn't third party I suppose so I probably shouldn't touch it. The only ones I find are Notes and Office. I suppose I could try it but I won't be home until Sunday night.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2012, 06:29 PM

sometimes the icon on my desktop also are invisible. dragging them elsewhere on the desktop fixes it.
but my issue has nothing to do with safari.

i can't found a fix.
this has been going on since 10.7
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2012, 06:46 PM

Glad I'm not the only one!
It's very annoying and makes me feel like my computer is unstable. Funny thing is that it happens on both my Mini's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules