Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Santorum on video calling Obama the n-word, plus the Caribbean vs Canada

Santorum on video calling Obama the n-word, plus the Caribbean vs Canada
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 02:57 AM

So the gay-hating bigot is finally revealed as a black-hating bigot also? Big surprise.

Rick Santorum catches himself calling Obama a N*%#$@ - YouTube

It's over. Hand the crown to Rmoney. Santorum is done. There is no recovery from this.

Here's the full video: Rick Santorum Visits Janesville - YouTube

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2012, 03:04 AM

While it sounds like he may be going to say that word, honestly something like this is no proof at all.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 04:01 AM

Given how lousy his explanation about "blah people" went over, he will never be able to answer this.

Among some conservatives, calling a black person a "government n*****" is perfectly justifiable in their mind, similar to Malcolm X calling someone a "house negro," because they benefit from the current system. That is definitely what Santorum was thinking of. You can see his body language change for a bit after catching himself, the fear in his eyes at what he almost let slip out.

And what else could he have been intending to say? C'mon, find me a world that starts with *nig* that makes sense in that phrase. There isn't one.

Rick the Prick is done. Enjoy the news tomorrow.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2012, 04:17 AM

Why would someone in the Great White North care so much again?

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 04:31 AM

Because I don't want to see Canada's primary ally and trading partner go down the shitter? Or do you enjoy watching your friends destroy themselves?

It's amazing how often my nationality becomes an issue around here. I guess when that's all you can do to deflect criticism, that's what you reach for.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why would someone in the Great White North care so much again?
Because he's the potential leader of the free world, and he's a moron.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 04:52 AM

Man, America's Hat sure does produce some frothing at the mouth simpletons. Is it from the cold? Or just the general boredom?

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Man, America's Hat sure does produce some frothing at the mouth simpletons. Is it from the cold? Or just the general boredom?
Did you want to discuss how strongly the racism is simmering on Santorum's lips that he can barely keep it from slipping out? Because that's the thread topic.

Dick McFrothy Fecal-Lube is done like dinner. Enjoy your wishy-washy plutocrat apostate as nominee.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 05:47 AM

So it's the cold?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
And what else could he have been intending to say? C'mon, find me a world that starts with *nig* that makes sense in that phrase. There isn't one.
Santorum is clearly trying to call Obama a government nigotiator.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2012, 07:41 AM

Santorum has been imploding more frequently over the past few weeks including openly swearing at a journalist, but I don't know about this as evidence of avoiding the 'n' word. The phrase; "government nixxxx" is so far removed from common vernacular that I can't imagine this was actually the thought in his head. I really couldn't even imagine him saying "government negro" for that matter. The fact that Malcolm X was invoked for comparison only indicates how far removed the term is from society, particularly that of relatively young, north-eastern whities.

Although, this won't matter. As much as many will have to plug their noses, it's Romney FTW anyway. Time to coalesce. The thought of an unfettered, additional 4 years of Obama patting Medvedev on the forearm whispering sweet-nothings in his ear is unbearable.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
The phrase; "government nixxxx" is so far removed from common vernacular that I can't imagine this was actually the thought in his head.
So, are you like an expert or something?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2012, 10:06 AM

I can't watch the video at work, but given this guy's positions and general amount of seething hatred he seems to ooze, it's just so plausible.

Also that "bla- people" slip-up from a few months ago doesn't help his case.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 11:50 AM

Santorum has been imploding more frequently over the past few weeks including openly swearing at a journalist, but I don't know about this as evidence of avoiding the 'n' word. The phrase; "government nixxxx" is so far removed from common vernacular that I can't imagine this was actually the thought in his head. I really couldn't even imagine him saying "government negro" for that matter. The fact that Malcolm X was invoked for comparison only indicates how far removed the term is from society, particularly that of relatively young, north-eastern whities.

Although, this won't matter. As much as many will have to plug their noses, it's Romney FTW anyway. Time to coalesce. The thought of an unfettered, additional 4 years of Obama patting Medvedev on the forearm whispering sweet-nothings in his ear is unbearable.
That would be Putin.

After several views I noticed a slight glitch that leads me to believe this video has been played with. The lack of it being splashed all over MSNBC is also telling
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 12:50 PM

Maybe he was going to say niggardly.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 01:00 PM

Uh. Okaaaay. Suuuure. The N-word doesn't fit in that sentence. If anyone truly thinks that's what he was going for. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 01:09 PM

Another expert, I see...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 04:44 PM

While it sounds like he may be going to say that word, honestly something like this is no proof at all.
Indeed. IMO it's difficult to come up with anything that would have made sense in the context of the statement he was making. N-word or otherwise. Probably best to just chalk that up to a complete brain fart. We all have them from time to time.

Given how lousy his explanation about "blah people" went over.....
Now on this one Santorum was lying through his teeth.

That situation was a simple case of tossing out some red meat to those in the conservative base that respond to such sentiments. Only to deny the obvious to the general electorate when challenged on it. Personally I think it was a very calculated move. His poll numbers were in the toilet during the Iowa caucuses and he had to do something to garner some attention. It was way too early in primary season for a little race baiting to be remembered by the time the general election came along if he happened to make it that far. And once the criticism inevitably got started and he got questioned about it by reporters ... he could just play the "liberal media" card and garner even further support among the conservative base. Straight out the GOP Southern Strategy playbook.

OAW

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 06:08 PM

Government n*****? Is that really a thing people say?

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
After several views I noticed a slight glitch that leads me to believe this video has been played with.
Watch the longer link I posted, it was put up on youtube by Santorum supporters. It's definitely NOT tampered with.

I regret putting up the shorter video, because the surrounding context actually cements the fact that he was gonna say the n-word. Watching the surrounding content before and after he says the n-word makes it crystal clear that something serious has happened: he cuts himself off, he doesn't complete the sentence, he moves on to a new sentence that's utterly disconnected from his train of thought, and there is panic in his eyes and body language.

Do you know what it looks like: Ron Burgundy reading from the teleprompter. Seriously, watch the longer video and imagine Santorum reading from a teleprompter which has a racist comment sandwiched in by a troublemaker. It looks like he starts reading it, stops, stutters a bit, then moves on to another sentence.

I know Santorum claims to not use a teleprompter, but if you watch his head motion over the course of the video, he looks exactly like someone reading from two teleprompters. Given how long the video is (an hour long), I find it hard to believe he was speaking off the cuff the entire time.

(EDIT: I'm not saying it really did say "government ni****" on the teleprompter, I'm just saying that's what it looks like. Whether or not Santorum was using a teleprompter, he clearly adds extempraneous phrases to his planned speeches, and this particular phrase just slipped out while rhyming off a bunch of negative assertions about Obama.)

If he wasn't about to say the n-word, why did he stop himself? If it was just a verbal flub, why didn't he repeat the sentence with clarity like a normal speaker would? Who trips up in mid-sentence and then moves on like nothing happened?

The lack of it being splashed all over MSNBC is also telling
Not really. It always takes the tv media a few days to cover this kind of thing. But I've seen the story on national newspaper websites already.

We will almost definitely see this on NBC and the Daily Show on Monday, CNN by mid-week, and Fox never.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Mar 30, 2012 at 09:15 PM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 09:15 PM

Maybe Santorum will change his mind about banning telepromters.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 09:20 PM

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Uh. Okaaaay. Suuuure. The N-word doesn't fit in that sentence. If anyone truly thinks that's what he was going for.
Explain why he didn't correct himself. Speakers do not stumble on a word and then continue. They correct themselves.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Indeed. IMO it's difficult to come up with anything that would have made sense in the context of the statement he was making. N-word or otherwise. Probably best to just chalk that up to a complete brain fart. We all have them from time to time.
I would think so too, but Santorum is actually a reasonably articulate speaker. I watched a fair bit of that speech, and he doesn't trip up much. Doesn't it seem strange to you that his flubs always seem like accidental racist quips that he didn't want to say, but seems to just slip out?

And think about the context: a stream of insults about Obama. A pretty sensible place to expect an accidental racist quip to slip out, isn't it?
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Mar 31, 2012 at 01:52 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2012, 09:39 PM

He meant to say "National Figure". N-igure for short.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 11:00 PM

Do you know what it looks like: Ron Burgundy reading from the teleprompter.
Anything.

Ah-nee-thing.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So, are you like an expert or something?
My analysis was actually pretty open-ended subego. My claim was that it was hard to imagine. Unless of course you hear the phrase "government nixxxx" frequently. I sure don't.

Anyone over 70 care to offer your expertise on the matter?
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2012, 09:46 AM

My analysis was actually pretty open-ended subego. My claim was that it was hard to imagine. Unless of course you hear the phrase "government nixxxx" frequently. I sure don't.

Anyone over 70 care to offer your expertise on the matter?
Do you hear white people saying just "******" frequently?

P.S. I'm going to repeat it's absolutely and utterly stupid that gets censored.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That would be Putin.
Unless I'm missing something here, I was referring to Obama's open-mic gaffe clearly made to Medvedev.

** Edited; It just occurred to me what you were talking about... yup. It would be Putin.

After several views I noticed a slight glitch that leads me to believe this video has been played with. The lack of it being splashed all over MSNBC is also telling
mckenna has been on a witch-hunt for any dirt he can find on enter (R) here. (whoever happens to be in the 2nd spot at the time it seems) It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the clip has been hacked up. Santorum is many things, but something like this would take the cake. I'm not saying for certain it's not true, it would just be an extremely bizarre thing to say in the context he was using.

To be clear though, we're only looking for etymological expertise and kneejerk indictments of racism here.
( Last edited by ebuddy; Apr 1, 2012 at 07:50 PM. )
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2012, 09:49 AM

Do you hear white people saying just "******" frequently?
No. You? If yes, find new friends.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2012, 10:03 AM

No. You?
No.

So, TBH, I'm not so sure what kinds of phrases people who do use it come up with.

To be clear, I'm alleging the same of you, not that you're some closet racist or something.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2012, 10:14 AM

No.

So, TBH, I'm not so sure what kinds of phrases people who do use it come up with.

To be clear, I'm alleging the same of you, not that you're some closet racist or something.
I'm familiar with similar terms from the historical perspectives OAW provided early on, which are... really old perspectives. Like I said, given the context, it seems an extremely disconnected and bizarre thing to say. Perhaps it is my own naiveté, but I'm certainly not claiming any more expertise than the ones accusing Santorum of struggling against the 'n' word.
ebuddy

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2012, 09:22 PM

The phrase; "government nixxxx" is so far removed from common vernacular that I can't imagine this was actually the thought in his head. I really couldn't even imagine him saying "government negro" for that matter.
And Santorum never said 'black people'. He said 'blah people'. Because 'blah people' is a more common vernacular.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 06:45 AM

Because I don't want to see Canada's primary ally and trading partner go down the shitter? Or do you enjoy watching your friends destroy themselves?

It's amazing how often my nationality becomes an issue around here. I guess when that's all you can do to deflect criticism, that's what you reach for.
Um you are about 12+ years to late for that.... Just sit back and enjoy the roller coaster.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 06:48 AM

Oh and I don't see anything more then a stumbling of thought, can some one please tell me what was racist in that video.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 12:46 PM

If he just stumbled, why didn't he correct himself and say what he intended to say?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 06:01 PM

If he just stumbled, why didn't he correct himself and say what he intended to say?
huh?

How do you know if he said what he intended to say or not. You where in his mind?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 06:11 PM

Is Rick Santorum racist? - YouTube

The guy is a loser... Says "I don't want to improve Blacks lives with other peoples money, I want to give them the opportunity to earn it themselves then while trying to defend it with garbage about context he started talking about a documentary he saw called Waiting for Superman and how it was about black children which is also wrong as I own this it was about education issues period not just for black kids.

I don't doubt he is a racist but That video of him ALMOST dropping the nigga bomb isnt the best example. I watched the entire bit from when he started and he stumbled pretty badly a couple other times too.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2012, 08:15 PM

I think the curiosity stems from the fact that Santorum doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning and hence, destroying the country. Of course, not that the current administration is somehow leading us from doom.

I agree on this. I'd like to see less of this also.
ebuddy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2012, 08:29 PM

Have you ever spoken publicly? If you stumble, you move on. It's like walking. If you stumble while walking, you don't go back and repeat that step. You get on with your day. Good grief. You're making a huge deal about something that doesn't matter in the least. I don't really care much for Mr. Santorum, but I think this discussion is ridiculous.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2012, 08:31 PM

No, I just think it's hilarious that someone from Canada is so concerned about something so minute regarding a man who doesn't have much of a shot at all at becoming the US President, especially because I know Canadian politicians never misspeak.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 08:40 PM

I think the curiosity stems from the fact that Santorum doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning and hence, destroying the country. Of course, not that the current administration is somehow leading us from doom.

Yes, but he could be a VP pick, or simply an important voice from the sidelines that continues to affect news and what we talk about like Sarah Palin did for a good while.

We need less sideshow attractions for the media to obsess over, and more constructive discussion stimulated by constructive politicians.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 08:52 PM

Hear hear!

I'd even go so far as to say that perhaps since we seem to be having a hard time finding politicians that don't suck that we should relax on the having to be born in the country as a requirement for office. There is absolutely nothing irreplaceable from being born in this country that can not be learned simply by spending enough time living in this country.

lpkmckenna may or may not have a lot of socialization with Americans, but even if he lived someplace in America for a while he'd still only be experiencing a subset of America, that same subset that many Americans have having only lived in one place and having very limited travel experience would have. Hell, if he spent enough time traveling around America he may very well have as firm a grasp on American culture and ideas as many Americans do.

I'm undecided about how much connection one can have to a culture by following the news and not actually living there, but I do find it amusing that the same people that seem to confront people like lpkmckenna about saying critical things about America while not being American are content to say idiotic things about Canada (e.g. Canadian healthcare) based on stuff they have read, without having socialized adequately with Canadians.

I would tentatively say that the connection you have to a culture and its ideas depends on how open and receptive you are in general as a person, and by open I mean not locked into rigid ideological dogma.

I'd also say quite emphatically that Canadians definitely have the upper hand in being far more exposed to Americans and their ideas than Americans are to Canadians. Many Americans don't seem to understand this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 08:53 PM

No, I just think it's hilarious that someone from Canada is so concerned about something so minute regarding a man who doesn't have much of a shot at all at becoming the US President, especially because I know Canadian politicians never misspeak.

Like I said, even if he doesn't win he could and probably will remain an important voice, unfortunately.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 10:32 PM

Same, and us Canadians do have a interest in US politics because a lot of stuff down south affects us. We are so intertwined in politics and economy and as a people very similar in most areas with the exception of a few things it makes no sense to bring in nationality.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 03:42 AM

I believe it was you in another thread that rightly observed how so many threads lately become a "circle-jerk of Canadian pride and xenophobia run amok".

Some of our icy northern neighbors simply can't seem to figure out that many of us just aren't impressed with the frozen wasteland above us, and aren't particularly impressed with the healthcare system either. But the same tired old "circle-jerk of Canadian pride and xenophobia run amok" keeps popping up in thread after thread. (Actually I think it's more of the age old Canadian insecurity: insecurity often shows itself in a false need to overcompensate for perceived faults, hence the xenophobia run amok bit).

Look: Canada isn't anywhere I'd want to vacation, like say, the Caribbean. It isn't anywhere all that interesting like much of Europe. It's not exotic like Asia or Africa. It's just another boring country really. No worse, but no better than most places. Geographically in what I'd describe as the world's hairy armpit. Love it if you live there, but I wouldn't want to, and I don't particularly want any of your government/systems in my country. It's nothing personal. It's sort of like I'm not particularly impressed with somewhere equally non-standout like say, Minnesota, either. (Actually I thought Minnesota was way more interesting than much of Canada that I've seen, so that's unfair to Minnesota. But I was hard pressed to think of an equally lackluster place.)

Any Canukistani offended by the above honest analysis of your icebox that I'm not all that impressed with having been to FAR FAR nicer/better/more exotic/more interesting places on the globe, you're a circle-jerking xenophobe.

Anyway, back on topic:

I'm pretty sure I've used the term Government Ninny quite a bit- probably MANY times right here on this forum. It's fitting. There's quite a few government ninnies. Maybe he was thinking that?

Or Government nitwit? Equally fitting.
Government nincompoop? Also works.

Basically, no one really cares. Unless you're bored and from someplace boring.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 04:51 AM

The Caribbean is infinitely more boring than much of the beautiful natural environment that Canada has to offer if you are an outdoorsey person (or into winter sports), and I've been to many of the Caribbean islands a number of times during the days I worked on several cruise ships.

If you find the American health care system impressive, I think you have mental problems. It's rife with accessibility problems and outrageous costs that Canada doesn't have, kudos to them for not having these problems, and it is at least somewhat impressive that their system is not bankrupting the country.

Canadians here are just as welcome to express their opinions of America or American politics as anybody else. If you don't care about their opinions, ignore them, many people don't care about your opinons. Saying that they are xenophobic is just a lazy label you came up with because you feel put on the defensive.

I think you really need more compelling hobbies than sharing your aggression daily here on this forum. I know you don't care about my opinion, but I'm hoping that someday you might consider that a little civility would be lovely.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 01:51 PM

Not all of Canada is a winter waste land... And I am not going to bother pointing out that Canadian Cities rank higher then American Cities at almost every category. Our banks rank better then yours. Who cares Canadians live longer too. I mean I don't want to point any of these things out to some one living in a box. But I am going ask if you have any mental disorders we should know about if you think the American Health Care system is better....

but hey its not like I have a very good opinion on Americans Born in The USA - John Candy - Canadian Bacon - YouTube

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The Caribbean is infinitely more boring than much of the beautiful natural environment that Canada has to offer if you are an outdoorsey person (or into winter sports), and I've been to many of the Caribbean islands a number of times during the days I worked on several cruise ships.
I've been to both. Canada has more mosquitos and less tropical fish.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 04:22 PM

I've been to both. Canada has more mosquitos and less tropical fish.
And more mountains and beavers. Comparing the two is sort of an apples vs. oranges comparison, it depends on what you are into, but my pointing this out is just to say different strokes for different folks.

The caribbean to me, particularly in the touristy areas, is just Disneyland inside of pretty harsh third world country sort of conditions. It's a great place to go to relax and veg if that is your thing when it comes to vacationing, although snorkeling/diving is pretty cool...

You may notice I listed beavers above. Yes, BEAVERS. You like beaver don't you?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 04:31 PM

The caribbean to me, particularly in the touristy areas, is just Disneyland inside of pretty harsh third world country sort of conditions. It's a great place to go to relax and veg if that is your thing when it comes to vacationing, although snorkeling/diving is pretty cool...
Diving is why you go. That and goat on a stick.

You may notice I listed beavers above. Yes, BEAVERS. You like beaver don't you?
Sure. Do you like water sports?

Forum Links
Forum Rules