Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Demon Daemon

Demon Daemon
Yokohama
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2010, 07:54 PM

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard on my iMac and MacBook. When starting up, I get a MS dialogue box telling me I need to install Rosetta if I want to use AU Daemon. I use MS Office 2008.
After checking out reports on the Internet, I went to Log-in and unchecked AU Daemon. No luck.
Next I tried a procedure in Active Monitor that I no longer clearly remember but was probably using filter to call up MS items, then I quit MS Database Daemon. Still no luck.
So two questions.

1. Did I cause myself trouble by using the quit MS Database Daemon procedure? I have not seen anything in the past 12 hours, but want to make sure.

2. How can I stop the MS dialogue box appearing--other than installing Rosetta? I don't mind installing it on my iMac, but my MacBook is short of HD memory. I did see something on using Scripts to block the MS reminder, but I have not used this before.
( Last edited by Yokohama; Feb 25, 2010 at 08:11 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Feb 25, 2010, 08:24 PM

Look for their startup item in one of the following places:

MacHD/Library/StartupItems/
MacHD/Library/LaunchDaemons/
MacHD/Library/LaunchAgents/

Yokohama  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2010, 10:53 PM

Help! I found LaunchDaemons in the Library and moved them to the trash. I restarted my iMac but it only got as far as the gray screen with gray Apple symbol and the turning wheel. After a few minutes I tried restarting with no luck. Now on my third restart, the wheel has been turning for more than 5 minutes. What can I do to get back to normal?

reader50
Administrator
Feb 26, 2010, 12:51 AM

You moved the entire /LaunchDaemons/ folder to the Trash?!? I'd meant for you to check inside each of those folders, looking for a MS Database Daemon to remove. OSX needs the other items in that folder in order to work.

Do you have a Time Machine backup? If so, you can boot from your install DVD, enter Time Machine, and restore that folder.

If you have another Mac handy, you can connect them via FireWire cable. Boot your problem Mac in Target Disc Mode, and use the other Mac to put the LaunchDaemons folder back. (then do a Permissions Repair in Disk Utility before rebooting)

If no other Mac is available, then you'll have to boot from the Install DVD and do an Archive Install, preserving users and groups.

Forum Links
Forum Rules