Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > "Customizing" Time Machine

"Customizing" Time Machine
Yokohama
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2011, 10:36 PM

I've just bought an ext. 2Tb hard drive for backing up. I've partitioned it into 3 disks: one for Work, one for a bootable disk, and one for general back-up of everything.

For the Work disk, I only want to back up my work files every hour, not the systems software, photos, iTunes etc. So I've used Options in TM and excluded those folders. But when it comes to backing up everything on the Mac at the end of the day in my General disk, I find that the selection of excluded folders is carried over to this disk.

Is there a way that I can "save" my selection of folders/files to be saved for each disk," so that I don't need to keep using Option? Also, any comments on this back-up strategy? Thanks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2011, 10:42 PM

My suggestion is keep your bootable partition small and use the rest of your 2TB for one large TM disk. Time Machine only backs up things that have changed, so you're primarily going to see TM backing up your work only. The photos and music won't be backed up every hour because they don't change hourly. Keep it simple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules