Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So, no PowerBook G5 until summer?

So, no PowerBook G5 until summer? (Page 2)
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Not "always". In 1998-99, the PowerBook G3 line was absolutely megahertz-for-megahertz identical with the Power Mac G3. It was really the only time I can think of that laptops and desktops had identical CPU performance. Too bad it didn't last!

tooki
they still had laptop hard drives and limited amounts of ram, but other than that i agree. Besides traditionally apple has used the exact same model of chip in desktop and laptop lines.
Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
ooh! Mod the Xserve by adding a 30" display on a hinge. That will answer the "who has the biggest notebook" issue once and for all.
No agp on the xserve makes for Not running the screen at full resolution.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2005, 04:42 AM

Macrumors says G5 iBook & Powerbooks in second quarter of '05.
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/...14041111.shtml
But again, it is only speculation...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 04:46 AM

How accurate has macrumours been lately?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2005, 09:54 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by zubro:
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ne...y=POWERBOOK+G5

et voila!
Yeah, it says iBook G5s as well. Next rumor site?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

JeffHarris
Jan 16, 2005, 10:28 AM

I hate to sound like a naysayer, but I really don't expect to see a G5 PowerBook until next year.

When IBM is able to shrink the chips even more (.65nm) and get the heat and power consumption issues under control and Apple is able to concoct a reasonable and extremely compact cooling system.... THEN we''ll see a G5 PowerBook. THEN wait until Rev.B!

A dual-core G4 seems more likely, but not until the end of the year at least. Some new PowerBooks have historically been released in November. I've bought 2 PowerBook G4s in different Novembers.

When Apple releases a new hardware Rev. you can count on it to be around for 6 to 9 months before a new Rev. is released. Also, prices start dropping before pending hardware Revs. PowerBook prices are holding steady. That makes it unlikely we'll see a PowerBook Rev. for at least a month, maybe longer?

I'm hoping that the G4s in the pending PowerBooks bring back the L3 cache, as well a speeding up the FSB and RAM. Faster graphics and more VRAM would be great, too.

Another question: WHERE are the bigger 7200 rpm 2 1/2" hard drives? A 100GB x 7200 rpm drive would be extremely nice.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by macdaemon:
I have a Dual G5 2.5Ghz at home, but I travel a lot and need powerful mobile system for 3D rendering and video, so mobile G5 is what I really need, I'll save more time. I have 2Gb or RAM on PB and 4Gb of RAM on G5, it's enough for me, but speed of PB sometimes need more, specially to convert video to mpeg4 and other complex things like renedering in Cinema 4D.
Same boat here, but lets face it, even a single 1.6 or 1.8G5 will not come close to crunching power of the Dual 2.5 with its faster bus, memory bandwidth, etc..

My G4 1.5Ghz is more than enough for my mobil computing needs, which are less rendering and more set up, internet, and business apps related.

but good luck, and if they announce in June, it's going to be Aug before you get one in you hands, and then it's going to be until Rev B in Jan when I'll consider getting one (when the bugs have been worked out).
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
Physical dimensions are not the issue. Heat dissipation and power consumption are.
Hehe, and guess what? They are an issue because there is not enough volume to cool the thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules