Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > why do the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse stink?

why do the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse stink?
tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 11:08 AM

I spent ~$150 for the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse from Apple to use with my G4 Cube and I�m ready to throw them in the garbage they stink so bad. I thought about getting a Logitech set up or something low tech that used IR, but decided the best way to go would be the Apple made products. They have to work without a hitch right? They�re made by Apple! Well, these things do not work well at all. At first I attributed this to my d-link Bluetooth dongle being installed under the cube which was sitting on top of a metal shelf (I think this is more of an issue for airport signals though�). So I took a usb extension cable and ran that away from the cube. This made nothing better. If anything the connection seems worse! Could metal shelves being anywhere near the dongle cause so much interference? At any rate I�m at a loss, and I�m completely disappointed with these items at this point. Am I the only one?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 11:10 AM

Are you sure it's not the dongle that is causing the problem?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 11:14 AM

pretty positive. i've got two of them that i've used without incident for at least the last year. i'll swap it with my other one, but i doubt that'll help. i thought maybe li-ion batteries wouldn't work in them also because i put in some fully charged energizer ones yesterday and i was able to pair the keyboard, but it quickly lost the connection even though i didn't even move the thing. i had hopes of using my cube with my home theater but this is not working too well...

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 12:18 PM

My Apple BT keyboard has worked flawlessly through thousands of sleep/wake cycles. Still on the same batteries that it came with too.

Maybe you have some interference somewhere?!
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 12:22 PM

that's what i'm thinking with my metal Boltz shelves, but the only thing listed as a possible source of interference is certain wireless phones. I don't even have a 2.4ghz phone which would be a cause, i only have a 900mhz phone. it doesn't add up.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 12:41 PM

Have you definitely got a DLink DBT-120 dongle, if you have the older DWB-120 type dongle, it won't work.

Important: Requires a Bluetooth enabled Macintosh (either built-in or using the qualified D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter (older D-Link DWB-120M adapters are not supported). Mac OS X, v10.2.6 or higher required.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 12:44 PM

absa-tively positive!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 14, 2005, 12:48 PM

What about non-phone microwave interference? Microwave ovens, for example, wreak havoc.

tooki

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 12:54 PM

I have one in my house, but don't they have to be on to cause trouble? my experience with it yesterday was limited to about an hour of me trying to get the things paired up and the microwave was not being used in that time.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 01:49 PM

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I agree that the Apple wireless mouse leaves something to be desired, although the keyboard to my mind is quite excellent.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 02:21 PM

I too have zero trouble with my Apple wireless keyboard and DLink DBT-120 bluetooth adapter. Even with an active AirPort Extreme network.

Replace the batteries, too, if you haven't done that already (even if you think they are new). Spotty performace can be from dying batteries.

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 02:34 PM

believe me i've replaced them many times. i've been able to pair the two up to my computer before and could see the battery levels undery my keyboard/mouse system preferences to see if that's the problem. not it. that's also why i thought maybe it wasn't compatible with rechargables, but the site says it is. argh

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 02:35 PM

The keyboard may be defective, then. Try to exchange it.

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 02:45 PM

what are the chances that the keyboard and mouse are both defective? that's why i think it's something else. it can't be the two of them...right?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 03:15 PM

I used a friends of mine and it was horrible also. It stuttered and wasn't as responsive as a corded mouse. He also said the batteries last maybe 3 weeks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 03:17 PM

if i had to charge the batteries once a week I wouldn't care as long as the damn thing worked.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by tramahound:
if i had to charge the batteries once a week I wouldn't care as long as the damn thing worked.
Do you really need a cordless mouse to begin with?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 03:29 PM

the cube sits 15+ feet away on a component rack while i would like to control it from my couch to view pictures, surf the web and listen to my itunes collection. a wired mouse is not in any way an option.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 04:06 PM

the cube sits 15+ feet away on a component rack while i would like to control it from my couch to view pictures, surf the web and listen to my itunes collection. a wired mouse is not in any way an option.
Don't use a bluetooth mouse than, they have crap reception, my phone can hardly make it 10 feet using bluetooth.

Use some RF brand, the batteries last a year also.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 04:34 PM

that doesn't really do me any good now though

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 05:09 PM

that doesn't really do me any good now though
Can't you return it? Or at the least sell it on ebay?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 05:19 PM

I get nearly 6 months out of my bluetooth keyboard's batteries....

Something isn't right.

Do you have a close neighbor who's equipment could somehow be interfering? Perhaps a strong cordless phone or 802.11 network?

Definately then sounds like something is wrong in your local environment causing bluetooth interference. I have zero problems with my BT keyboard, mouse (not an Apple though), Jabra headset and Sony-Erricson phone.

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 05:43 PM

they were gifts from my wife. she'd be hurt if i sell them. having me cursing them every day and not using them can't be any better though..

im_noahselby
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 07:00 PM

I bought my bluetooth mouse and keyboard almost a year ago and they have so far exceeded my expectations. It syncs perfectly everytime and I have no major problems to speak of.

When I reviewed both of these devices I game them each 3/5. My reaction from many was that I should have rated them 5/5.

The only negative things about these two devices are:
-The low battery icon that flashes on the screen is distracting and cannot be turned off.
-The keyboard feels rigid and not as nice to me as older Apple keyboards.
-Battery performance could be better, but there are ways around this issue.

Overall, both are solid products and I would reccomend them to anyone who wants to do without wires.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:

-Battery performance could be better, but there are ways around this issue.

Not using it?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

im_noahselby
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Not using it?
-buying re-chargable batteries
-always pushing the switch, after you are done using them - this will make your batteries last longer

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 09:21 PM

why do the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse stink?
Because people will purchase it for exactly the same reason you did, assuming that Apple products will work best with Apple products. Also, believing that Apple products are better than all others they will assume that it is behaving as it's supposed to and that every thing else is worse. I've encountered people who thought they had to use Apple products. Why spend more to make it work better when your market makes those assumptions?

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 08:02 AM

Just for the record, I have a setup with a Cube cycling through images and playing DVDs on a a 42" plasma screen mounted on the wall.

I control the Cube with a mouse wirelessly from the lounge, but it's not a Bluetooth mouse... it's actually a radio frequency mouse that came as a freebie when I upgraded Photoshop CS.

Old technology all round - RF not BT, the mouse has a ball not optical - but it works like a charm. Sometimes old tech is better, no?

Had thought about replacing the Cube with a mini, but after reading Bluetooth mouse experiences here, maybe not. (Then again, maybe I'd get a Logitech MX900 instead of the crummy, slippery bar of soap thing that Apple sells!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules