Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes window won't auto resize?

iTunes window won't auto resize?
ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009, 01:45 PM

Is it me or is iTunes the only app whose application window won't automatically resize to fit within monitor frame?

I have dual monitors (30 and 23) and I drag finder windows, safari windows, etc. from screen to screen and if you drag if you drag a window from the larger screen to the smaller, every other app will automatically resize the window to fit, as well as snap so the title bar is beneath the top of the monitor frame.

In iTunes, the window won't snap, resize, etc. You have to move it back to the larger monitor and resize manually, then drag it back..
Basically, you can move the window almost completely off screen if you want.

Can anyone shed some light on this UI conundrum? Is there a practical reason behind this?

Thanks,
craig

ibook_steve
Jun 3, 2009, 02:02 PM

I've never noticed the Finder ever automatically resize any windows when moving between displays. What would this look like when the window is half on one screen and half on the other? What resolution are you running on both of these displays?

I usually just click the maximize (green) button and readjust the window size myself.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ccrider  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009, 03:46 PM

Here's an example of what I mean:

iTunes Lame Window Behavior

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2009, 04:50 PM

It is because iTunes has completely non-normal window resizing behaviour (e.g. the zoom button minimises rather than expands), which is not only annoying but completely undesirable too.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 01:31 AM

It's also partially because iTunes is still Carbon, and Carbon windows are notorious about sizing problems. They're just not as aware of size constraints as Cocoa windows.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

chibilemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2009, 09:23 PM

option-click the green button in the upper left hand corner. this should change the size of the window to an "optimal" size.... whatever "optimal" happens to be. hope this helps.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by chibilemon View Post
option-click the green button in the upper left hand corner. this should change the size of the window to an "optimal" size.... whatever "optimal" happens to be. hope this helps.
Huh... did not know that! Granted, my "optimal" size is apparently behind the dock. Bah. Here's hoping that the next round of iPod updates this fall comes with a new Cocoa UI for iTunes to go with the mostly-Cocoa Snow Leopard. After all, even Windows got a 64-bit version of iTunes before OS X did!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

louisjaffe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2009, 02:34 PM

I had exactly the same question and didn't know the answer either, and have been using Macs since 1980-something. Good info-- thanks.

Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2009, 06:11 PM

iTunes 8's interface is Cocoa.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 06:26 PM

No, it's not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules