Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard and Extension problem

Snow Leopard and Extension problem
Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2010, 03:02 PM

Finally got around to installing SL 10.5.6. All is working fine except the extensions when I boot up in the morning. Problem - they all open to their respective home pages in tabs. I have to close all of them to get back to my Home page. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this?

Thanks,

Lee
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2010, 03:53 PM

What are these "extensions"? Do you mean file servers - storage physically connected to a different computer, or sitting in a basement closet? They open up in separate windows when mounted at log-in. There's no way to change that AFAIK, but I don't think their behavior has changed in 10.6.5.

Sorry if I misunderstand, but I suspect you're mashing up a little terminology here:
Extensions are system components (like drivers etc.) that are loaded at startup. They don't open windows. "Homepages" are Internet web sites.

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2010, 04:34 PM

Here's a link, Spheric.

https://extensions.apple.com/

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2010, 06:21 AM

Those are browser extensions - they're plug-ins that extend Safari's functionality (like system extensions extend the operating system's functionality).

They do NOT open homepages. They merely affect how web sites are displayed when YOU open them - unless you're using an extension like SafariRestore, which automatically restores the last-used set of tabs/windows when you fire up Safari.

Are you talking about the behavior of the WEB BROWSER when you load it up first thing in the morning?

Do you even use Safari? Or do you use Firefox or some other browser?

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2010, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Spheric. You can tell I'm not very computer literate.

Yes, I was talking about those web browser extensions (I use Safari). I have five and they all now open some sort of "home page" (for lack of knowing what to call it) that I have to close before I can get to my home page.

Any ideas of how to stop this?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2010, 10:28 AM

Which web pages?

Which extensions?

Check the Safari Preferences --> Extensions to see which ones are installed. You can disable them individually from there.

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2010, 12:04 PM

"Which web pages" If you log into Apples extension page (via the Safari name in the menu bar) you have a list of all extensions offered. When you click on any one of them it opens a web page about that extension and there is a download button if you want it. That's the page(s) I get when I first access the internet after a log in. That is the only time it happens unless I turn off the computer and startup again.

I am using PriceBlink, InvisibleHand, and Ookong for Amazon (all shopping aids).

I realize I can disable them but then they are not there when I want them and going in and turning them back on each time I shop on the web is a pain. Plus, they only this with 10.5.6.

ibook_steve
Dec 9, 2010, 03:38 PM

I think a better question here is what do you have set as your home page and what you have set for new windows to open to:

Safari menu -> Preferences -> General

Set your home page to something like Google (Google) and set new windows to open to your home page. And you don't have to completely shut down and start up your computer to make these kinds of changes. The only time you really need to restart is if you install software that requires it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2010, 05:39 PM

Steve,

I just checked. That's the way it's set now except my home page is Yahoo. As you recommended, new windows are set to open with home page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules