Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > SUV Talk; Also, Persian Rugs

SUV Talk; Also, Persian Rugs (Page 13)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2016, 04:39 PM

What would actually be ideal is to store it vertically behind the seat. That way the wedge shape of the jack can fit naturally in the gap made by the slope of the seat.

The problem is I need to find a way to keep it there.

P
Aug 7, 2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
that seems like a design flaw, to leave important cables susceptible like that. I have always put things under the seats (umbrellas, ice scrapers) and in one car there was a 5cd player under the passenger seat. Then again, that car didn't have airbags...
The latest seat designs I have been involved in we have taken special care to eliminate that potential failure mode, but I know that not everyone has the same view. I also owned a car that had a well-known problem with one cable being disconnected. In this case, it was the sensor cable for the seatbelt, without which the pretensioner would not fire in case of a crash.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2016, 07:45 AM

Here are the cables under my front seat, from behind looking forward.

I'd say they sorta thought about the problem. The cables would probably be better closer to the sides.

Had my jack fit, the contact point would have been right in the center there's a cutout in the rug for something there, but that's just inside auto body behind it.

Still, a very good point. I was more concerned about the jack sliding out from underneath in an accident and taking off one or both my feet.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2016, 07:55 AM

Not sure if it's clear behind the Gandalf robe, but it would be nice to rig it this way somehow.

Not sure how possible that is. I also think it may warp the springs.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2016, 11:35 AM

Let me get this straight: you have a cargo van and appear to be agonizing over where to put your jack!?

Am I missing something here? Can you not discretely zip tie it to a side panel and be done with it? No worries about ever having trouble getting it off of course, given the number of tools in your glove box.........

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2016, 01:46 PM

Here's a pic from up-thread of the kind of load-outs I have.

Space, is in fact an issue.

I'd say the bigger problem is the shape/weight. Heavy, lumpy wedges don't pack well.

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2016, 03:12 PM

also, convenient access, as you'd hate to unload all that stuff just to find the jack.

it will not fit in whatever cubby holds the tire?

P
Aug 7, 2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here are the cables under my front seat, from behind looking forward.

I'd say they sorta thought about the problem. The cables would probably be better closer to the sides.

Had my jack fit, the contact point would have been right in the center there's a cutout in the rug for something there, but that's just inside auto body behind it.

Still, a very good point. I was more concerned about the jack sliding out from underneath in an accident and taking off one or both my feet.
The main issue about pulling cables are ones that are attached to seat at both ends and then hang down like a hammock. Those cables looks like they're from the car to the seat, and they all look like they're fairly short. The orange one is for pyrotechnics, that's the one to be careful about.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 7, 2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
also, convenient access, as you'd hate to unload all that stuff just to find the jack.

it will not fit in whatever cubby holds the tire?
The tire hangs underneath the frame on this van.

I've seen vans with rear doors that are "hollow" - they left access holes to save a little weight. Perhaps the jack could be mounted within a rear door. Or failing that, add pegs and strap it to the inside surface of one of the doors.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2016, 07:52 PM

Finally got the ****er rustproofed and undercoated.

Just as claimed, the Linex undercoat is basically truck bed liner. That's gotta help a bit.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 18, 2016, 10:23 AM

It should be indestructible. The subframe on my 2013 Focus is rusting already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules