Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying the perfect PowerBook

Buying the perfect PowerBook
Ausious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 10:23 PM

I've recently been liking the idea of buying a PowerBook.

But the problem is, I'm very new to the Apple Laptops world, and I know little about it. I really would like to go around the house with wireless internet and etc.

I'm an expert in iMacs and eMacs. But again, I want something small easy to go with.

Anyone here have a good understanding what exact specifications should I get ... I want something to go with (Graphics & Design - Web Surfing - and School)

I would also like to somehow buy the PowerBook off of eBay or Craigslist, is there any other good places too?
Wishlist: Apple Powerbook G4 15"

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2007, 10:52 PM

15'' powerbook g4
1.67ghz
1gb or more of ram
100gb hdd or more (anything more than 100gb has to be aftermarket)
Super drive
airport
bluetooth

youll be good to go with that. its exactly what i tote around on campus with me, i leave the power house mac pro (tower) in the dorm.
as far as buying, look around campus and see if anyone is selling, there are always tons of flyers.
oh, i use my with cs2, lightroom, FCE HD, and maya 3D

Altair
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2007, 05:17 AM

I loved my 12" powerbook for school. It was the size of a pack of notebook paper and weighed around 4 pounds. The 15" macbook pro that I have now is a bit awkward in size for carrying around. I still am able to carry it around but I just don't find it as portable. For most schoolwork, the screen size isn't a problem but Photoshop is a little tight.

That said the 12" powerbooks went all the way up to 1.5 ghz G4s I think so you can look into one of those. You might want to look at macbooks too since you didn't mention needing 3d graphics.

Edit: grammar
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2007, 05:09 AM

what exactly is the benefit of getting a PowerBook, at this point?
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
what exactly is the benefit of getting a PowerBook, at this point?
None as far as I can see, unless you're thinking of a 12" for max. portability. The MacBook performance is just too much better than the best PowerBook, with a few very minor compromises. Not going Intel at this point would be silly to me unless you just got a phenomenal deal on the PowerBooks.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2007, 09:43 PM

What ~bash said. With "Graphics & Design" in your apps mix buying a laptop from 2 full chip architectures back makes little sense. However if G4 is a financial necessity get the 1.67 GHz, 15" or 17". Do not consider 12" because they are much less capable, suitable only for light apps.

-Allen Wicks

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2007, 10:47 PM

well i figured he was looking for a powerbook since that was in his title, leading me to believe he is trying to stay light on the wallet

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 19, 2007, 12:11 AM

Ausious you didn't tell us how much you are willing to spend. Since you are using this for graphics and design you might not be happy with a used PowerBook. A new low end MacBook might be a better deal for only a little more than a fairly recent PowerBook. Give us your budget price would help a lot. Also if you want to use wireless internet then make sure whatever laptop you get has an airport card.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 12:51 AM

Sounds like you either need to pimp out a Macbook or grab the low end Macbook Pro. Either one will make you happy it just depends on your price range.

Forum Links
Forum Rules