Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PDFs not readable with Preview

PDFs not readable with Preview
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2007, 09:47 PM

My professor notified me today that he could not read the PDF file that I mailed yesterday with Preview - not like he couldn't open it, it's just that all the letters have been replaced with squares - kinda like if a font was missing and Preview substituted it for an all-squares-font. We were also able to reproduce this - happens with every PDF file I send.

I don't use a Mac to create these files, they've been created under Windows Vista using Word 2007 and FreePDF XP in combination with Ghostscript. What went wrong here? They opened fine with Adobe Reader but not Preview, and I clearly can't ask anyone to install Adobe Reader on their Macs. As is I have to stop sending out PDFs since most of the people here at WSU use Macs anyway, and I really don't want to start mailing DOC files...

Any ideas?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 10:34 PM

Dunno, but have you tried other PDF-creation mechanisms? The optional Microsoft one for Office 2007 works pretty well, and I've definitely opened PDFs created that way on Macs. Or PDFCreator?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 10:36 PM

Sounds like you specified a font that your prof does not have.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 10:36 PM

Try posting an example here, someone will take a look at it.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2007, 11:32 PM

Preview won't open all PDF's I come across, Acrobat is my standby, and it's free too.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 11:59 PM

There aren't any all squares fonts, it's just that your professor didn't have the font you used.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
My professor notified me today that he could not read the PDF file that I mailed yesterday with Preview - not like he couldn't open it, it's just that all the letters have been replaced with squares - kinda like if a font was missing and Preview substituted it for an all-squares-font. We were also able to reproduce this - happens with every PDF file I send.

I don't use a Mac to create these files, they've been created under Windows Vista using Word 2007 and FreePDF XP in combination with Ghostscript. What went wrong here? They opened fine with Adobe Reader but not Preview, and I clearly can't ask anyone to install Adobe Reader on their Macs. As is I have to stop sending out PDFs since most of the people here at WSU use Macs anyway, and I really don't want to start mailing DOC files...

Any ideas?
You may also want to try embedding the font in the pdf. I don't know the details but Janie told Mary who told her cousin who told me that you could do this. Or something ...

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 12:21 AM

Here's an example...

And as far as I know, PDF creator isn't free, is it? The one for Office 2007 I haven't installed yet, I'd need to download and install the additional plugin (which is no problem as such, it's just that I was very happy with the PDF printer mechanism so far)

PS: I'm aware of the fact that there are no all-square-fonts... it was just a metaphor
Also - I just checked, font embedding is already enabled:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 12:25 AM

opened fine for me with Adobe, preview and quicktime. using new 20' Al iMac
45/47

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 12:36 AM

Tested on MacBook w/ 10.5.1 in Preview, and in Windows XP with Adobe 8.1. No problems at all. I blame your teacher.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 12:38 AM

How about this one?

This is the actual file I mailed him yesterday. Btw, teacher has a PowerMac G5, not sure whether he's running 10.3 or 10.4. Thus, even if I can blame him I won't be able to convince him to upgrade/update/whatever. What other way is there to make absolutely and 100% sure that he will be able to read my documents? I always considered PDF the ultimate and best way to exchange documents but after this I'm kinda disappointed...

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2007, 12:52 AM

Opens fine in Preview on 10.5.1.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2007, 01:48 AM

opens fine for me as well. 10.5.1, Preview 4.0 (469), and in xpdf 3.02 running under XQuartz in X11 ...

Second file is good too, except for the rogue space before the colon in the last title ... and I don't think I could study whatever it is you're studying!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 02:10 AM

Even opened fine on my iPhone.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2007, 02:17 AM

He probably doesn't know what a PDF is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 01:22 PM

What version of preview is he using? You could try sending this to him as an rtf, given that there is not much formatting.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 03:44 PM

Try CutePDF, I find that their engine works very well, keeping things simple, not using new PDF's specs unless it is really needed. One reason I sucked it up at work got Acrobat pro is because you can set it to save to older versions of the PDF spec, for the technophobes I encounter regularly.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2007, 10:08 AM

Any ideas?
Yes the font has not been embedded and possibly you used an OpenType font which employs Unicode encoding.

From the sound of it your professor has a dated set-up if he/she doesn't have the suitable font/support on their computer.

Try forcing your material to something bog standard using Arial (not Helvetica) and Times. Windows machines have constant problems with TrueType font permissions. Windows' TrueType have a flag built in that can prevent embedding to prevent "font piracy".
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 01:24 PM

Here's an example...And as far as I know, PDF creator isn't free, is it?
SourceForge.net: PDFCreator

OSS and free

Forum Links
Forum Rules