Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What is on the new MBP?

What is on the new MBP?
nathanxu
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2007, 12:20 AM

Hi there,
According to Macrumors, it seems MBP is due for an update. What kind of new features are we expecting on the new MBPs?
Could the new 17inch gets LED back lit?
A 512MB video card?
A complete new design?
More RAM and bigger hard drive?
Faster process?
...?
What do we think could be out there? Is it worth waiting for?
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2007, 07:56 AM

Is your need immediate? Can you wait until January for MacWorld. Its possible, that Apple may refresh the line then. The last update was back in June (when I bought mine)

I do not expect to see a new design, nor a 512mb video card, and even a memory upgrade. Apple historically has kept the memory low on their computers.

I'm not sure what to expect but it won't be a radical change. If you need one now buy one now, but if you can hold off, you may be better off.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2007, 11:07 AM

The great part of the current gen is that it really leaves nothing to be desired. These machines will not be obsolete for quite some time in the recent future, thanks to strong Intel chips and accepted standards everywhere (SATA, USB, FW, DVD/CD, etc. etc. etc.)

The only thing that might be worth holding out for is Penryn (?), the architecture for the 45 nm processors that are coming soon. Its availability in the mobile marketplace is less certain, however, and while there might be some decent speed improvements let's not kid ourselves - these current processors are not by any means lagging and won't struggle for some time now.

I got my MBP in Sept. and cannot be happier with it, save some Leopard problems (haha) and some generally accepted hardware weirdness that has persisted since Rev. A MBPs, strangely.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2007, 11:36 AM

I agree, I could not be happier with the performance of my MBP. That being said, I'd not buy one now if I could wait until MWSF just because we don't know what's coming down the pike. If we don't like the next gen, then we could always find the current gen somewhere. By waiting a mere month the OP keeps his options open.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2007, 06:42 PM

2.5-2.6Ghz 'Penryn' CPUs (the next evolution of Core 2 Duo mobile)
No change to memory speed/base capacity/max capacity
Marginal hard drive tweaks... move the base up a tad and add a 320GB option, maybe an SSD options
Maybe an underclocked 8800M GPU option

And a 15" HD option... er wait no.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 12:07 AM

And if you wait until new models are introduced you may be able to snag a previous-generation MBP at a greatly reduced price. The last three Macs I purchased were previous models that were brand new in the box and my savings have ranged between 25%-50%. When you get a discount like that you can use the Mac for at least a couple of years and get most, if not all, of the money you originally spent on it if you decide to sell it.

nathanxu  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2007, 03:16 AM

I am excited with the upcoming MBP, I am pretty sure a new one could be out Jan or Feb next year. I will wait for a new one. I hope the 17Inch will gets LED back lit and an option of bigger hard drive. I like to show people that Apple still produces the best notebook.
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

Forum Links
Forum Rules