Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Macbook Pro Has Arrived!

My Macbook Pro Has Arrived!
dustrho
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2007, 08:36 PM

Well, it only took my over three years to purchase my first Mac computer, and today my new Macbook Pro arrived at my house. So far, after only playing with it for about 20 minutes, I'm totally in love. I'm going to hate going to work tomorrow to work on my Windows Vista laptop.

I have a question for everyone here. It came loaded with Tiger and Leopard in a disc. I've read a lot of good and bad things about Leopard, and I'm curious to know if I should keep Tiger or upgrade it right away to Leopard.

Thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

Cold Warrior
Dec 19, 2007, 08:45 PM

congrats!

Upgrade right away to Leopard. It's great and will run great.

Just do the archive-install option.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2007, 08:54 PM

You will like Leopard.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 19, 2007, 09:05 PM

Hey congrats on your new Mac computer! Maybe it's time to talk your boss into getting Macs for work? I can't comment on upgrading to Leopard because I'm still using Tiger. Although since your computer is still new without much installed this is probably the perfect time to test both Tiger and Leopard before you start settling down with which one you like. I would recommend trying a week with Tiger and then a week with Leopard and then decide which one you like better.

gpeden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2007, 02:19 AM

I bought my MP Pro just after Leopard was released and intentionally got one with Tiger. And then ordered Leopard with the Mac up to date program for $10 shipping. I figured that I'd be happier holding off with the major revision until any issues were sorted out. Of course Tiger was new enough for me for the time being because I was using 10.3.9 up until last month

Cheers!

Glen
Cheers!

Glen

~bash $
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2007, 09:51 AM

Stick with Tiger! Natural growing pains with Leopard might leave stretch marks in your mind. I'd wait until 10.5.2 until they are worked out, for a newer Mac user. Enjoy your MBP!

dustrho  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2007, 12:45 PM

I actually ended up upgrading my MBP to Leopard the night I got it, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit already. If I experience a ton of problems I can always go back to Tiger I suppose.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2007, 08:20 PM

Run Leopard. I still have 10.4.10 on all our boxes but that is because I have many complex pre-existing enterprise-critical apps in play. Starting from scratch my strong opinion is that you should start with Leopard and not look back.

OS 10.5.2 is in Beta now and I will be surprised if it is not released in 3 weeks at Mac Expo. That is likely the version I will first update all our boxes to.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules