Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AirPrint: Beginner questions

AirPrint: Beginner questions
HamSandwich
Dec 13, 2012, 06:35 AM

Hey,

well, this time it's a bit urgent, hmm... I hope someone can help out a bit. So my parents are buying an iPad, right... Now, as some change is going on anyway, they are also about to buy new printers for their iMacs. We already picked the printers, but now that I started finding out about AirPrint, I wonder in how far they will actually work. One of them is listed in Apple's AirPrint list. The other one exists in a model with USB&Ethernet, and another version that also includes WiFi, but this one is much more expensive. Now what?

There is something I just don't understand. I always thought you could just connect an Ethernet printer to WiFi network. Isn't the printer available for the WiFi users, too? I don't know if I ever tried. What's the whole AirPrint debate then about?

I just don't understand. We could simply buy the more expensive model, but I don't know if this is really necessary? And I know there are applications that use your Mac to send a printing file to the printer - but I don't want that.

Hmm, any advice? (The HP printer in question is the ColorLaserJet Pro CP1525nw)
Pete

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2012, 06:43 AM

AirPrint works only with selected printers. It's bullshit.

If you want to use a non-compatible printer, you can spring for one of these:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/xprintserver/xprintserver.html

It's is an AirPrint print server. I hear they're pretty awesome, though have not used one myself.

The rub two sticks together method is to email what you want to print to yourself, and open it up on a full-fledged computer.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2012, 07:15 AM

No, AirPrint is not bullshit. And practically every WiFi enabled printer today supports it. Don*t settle for an AirPrint server on your Mac. Once you have an iPad, you will rarely use your desktop computer any more.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2012, 08:17 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The fact there are network printers which don't work with it is bullshit.

It's fine when it works.

HamSandwich
Dec 14, 2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, AirPrint is not bullshit. And practically every WiFi enabled printer today supports it. Don*t settle for an AirPrint server on your Mac. Once you have an iPad, you will rarely use your desktop computer any more.
I imagine this, I'm in love already. I googled awhile, found a somewhat cheaper offer and spent the additional 25 €.

[Edit: Still discussing with parents/friends, hmm.]

HamSandwich
Dec 31, 2012, 03:34 AM

Hey everyone,

one question remained open to me, though: Are there any non-WiFi printers that print over AirPrint? I can connect a printer with an Ethernet port to a WiFi network, too; or is the AirPrint idea all about only connecting to total-WiFi printers?

Some advice would be great,
Pete

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2012, 03:56 AM

Wireless printing is worth the rather small extra cost, even if you don't have an iOS device. It's really nice when you want to print from a laptop and even if you have a desktop computer it's great that you can put your printer at the other side of the room or anywhere in the house actually.

I personally love AirPrint and would strongly suggest it to anybody.

Chrislove22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2012, 05:46 AM

AirPrint is awesome when it works. Simple, fast, effective. Unlike a computer, it won't tell you if, when and why it's not working though.

There is no reason an ethernet printer shouldn't work any differently than a wifi printer. My guess is that AirPrint is only compatible with newer printers, and newer printers tend to support wifi. My conclusion would be that the two have a correlation, but not a causation relationship. Best to confirm with Apple's list of supported devices.
Coming soon: Skakash

HamSandwich
Dec 31, 2012, 07:21 AM

Another question...

How's the transfer speed to the printer anyway? This is about a color laser printer - or did you never find anything slow there? Would be good to know. WiFi g and/or n here.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2013, 12:49 PM

I have had good luck hacking printers to work with AirPrint. Requires a software mod on a host Mac but its easy.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

bluesteel124
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2013, 10:49 AM

Try the HP ePrint app it's free at the app store.

If that's not satisfactory there are other solutions for printers that are not compatible with airprint.

How to Enable AirPrint with Any Printer

Forum Links
Forum Rules