Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my powerbook! Have more questions....

Got my powerbook! Have more questions....
kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 10:09 AM

Hey all,

So first impressions, this thing is WICKED!!! The move switch has been so smooth I have yet to miss anything from my windows box. I've only found one stuck pixel but it seems 'massaging' it took it right out. I'm just amazed at OSX and the powerbook in so many ways, and as a programmer, has made me truly appreciate the User Interface design that went into designing... everything.

Some things that are annoying me to no end though...

My powerbook's base doesn't seem to be flat.... If you put it on a desk and press down on the close right corner it will rock back and forth! This is _really_ annoying... would applecare take care of this?

Also, when the screen is closed there is a big gap between both pieces, such that if you even tap the screen (when closed) there is a pretty noticable movement between the lid and keyboard...

I've only been using the laptop for a night but the touchpad is frustrating. Its moreso just the fact that its a touchpad, but the lack of a second mouse button is rather frustrating as well. The big problem is that the button is so wide, hitting the ends of the mouse button are hit-and-miss, so dragging things around and such still isn't the smootheset process...

Hopefully the mouse thing I will get used to... Is it possible for applecare to cover the other two?

Thanks!

Darren

PeterKG
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 10:28 AM

To add more functionality to your track pad use Sidetrack

The gap you see when your PB is closed is supposed to be there. Leave it alone.

If you think your PB has a slight warp on bottom, check to make sure you hace it on a flat suface.
Some people use slight pressure and bend out the warp.
But I would leave it has it will flatten back by itself.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 10:40 AM

I have heard people that if the PB is not flat is because of the battery not being totaly secure or has a small play insife the case.

The solution I've heard is to fold a piece of paper a couple of times and the take the battery out and put the piece of paper between the the battery and the case, like a sandwich. This might help stabilaze it.

Hope it works.

Enjoy you new Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules