Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will the genius Bar Install 3rd party RAM?

Will the genius Bar Install 3rd party RAM?
Bob Marley
Mar 18, 2007, 07:40 PM

Just checking.

If so, how much will it cost?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 09:19 PM

Apple's policy is that they won't, but most of the time someone will there for free.

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 12:28 AM

They may do it they may not, but either way you should consider just doing it yourself. I did it myself on my macbook and it was pretty easy and their are guides all over the internet. All you need is a really small screw driver. They claim #00, but I got that and it was still too big. But if you can get your hands on a small enough screwdriver, than I would suggest doing it yourself.
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2007, 01:41 AM

Pretty much all you need is the tiny screwdriver it's easy. , but there policy is they wont.

Ray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 02:54 AM

ya just do it yourslef its super easy your manual tells you how.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2007, 03:22 PM

I even do hard drive changes, and about a month or two ago I put a new motherboard in for a PowerBook G4 (Mercury). I may have forgot to put a screw or two in, but it has not jeopardized the usability of the PowerBook.

Only problem is now the internal battery is shot. DVD-ROM is also on the fritz, along with the case. The LCD is almost perfect and just needs a cleaning.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Forum Links
Forum Rules