Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is 2.0 enough power?

Is 2.0 enough power?
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2007, 10:13 PM

Hey everyone

I currently have a Macbook and while I love the thing I think I might need an upgrade. I am an animation/film student and I do a lot of video editing/animation work. The Macbooks screen is just too small.

Question is. Would a 20" 2.0 model iMac be enough for my Final Cut Express, After Effects, and Photoshop needs? Or do I need to bump it up to the 2.4.

Thanks all.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2007, 10:22 PM

If you have the cash, go for the 2.4. As part of the DUH factor it's always better to be faster processor-wise, but I'm sure the extra 800MHz wouldn't KILL you if you didn't have it...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2007, 11:18 PM

Well Im more worried about the better video card as well.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2007, 12:32 AM

Again, if you have the cash, it's a worthwhile upgrade. If not? Don't worry about it...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2007, 12:37 AM

Perhaps you should wait until you can get at least the 24" 2.4. If you'll be using those apps, you'll definitely like having the extra screen space on top of the increased speed. Or wait even longer and go 2.8.

P
Sep 3, 2007, 04:17 AM

You do realize that you can get a big secondary display and use with the Macbook, right?

In general, the lowest end model is the best deal. More clockspeed never hurt anyone, but it is 20% increase in one system component for a 25% price increase in total. As for the GPU, it is too slow for dedicated gaming, fast enough for casual gaming and just as capable for offloading video tasks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules