Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I can hear it loud and clear

I can hear it loud and clear
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2007, 01:15 PM

Hello everybody. I have a 2.0ghz 20" iMac with 1gig of memory. Lately Ive noticed things running a tad slower than normal, I can also hear the hard very clearly. Im used to iMacs being silent so the hard drive grinding along is quite annoying. Is this normal, anyone experience this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 02:19 PM

MAKE a BACKUP OF ALL YOUR DATA NOW.

(may be a failing drive).

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2007, 03:14 PM

Make a backup, as analogika suggested. Check the SMART status of your drive. Is it under warranty? If so, I would take it in to be looked at, if not, I would advise changing out the drive for a new one.

Also, another gig of memory will speed up your machine.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Make a backup, as analogika suggested. Check the SMART status of your drive. Is it under warranty? If so, I would take it in to be looked at, if not, I would advise changing out the drive for a new one.

Also, another gig of memory will speed up your machine.
*Sigh* I was expecting the bad news. It's all backed up anyways. Can anyone tell me how to check the SMART status?

Edit:

Nevermind SMART status is verified.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 06:01 PM

SMART can indicate that a drive is OK when it is actually failing, so I would tend to trust my ears and other indicators and Prepare For The Worst...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2007, 09:20 PM

Clicking, repeated seek activity (a sort of chattering sound), pronounced delays in accessing the drive, and any other unusual sound are all suspicious. But pay attention to HOW the computer is running too. If it's just a little slow, there are other possible reasons for that. A failing drive will continue to work while providing symptoms of its failure. Symptoms like the above indications, an occasional "won't boot and I get a folder with a question mark when I try" situation, are what you'll see now and then. As the drive gets worse, the symptoms will too. If the sounds get suddenly louder and more rattly, you need to buy a new drive ASAP. Since you said you have a 20" iMac with 1G of RAM, I can't tell what version you have, so I can't say anything about a warranty, but if it is under warranty, I strongly suggest that you 1) do a final, complete backup and 2) take it to an Apple Store for service. Immediately.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules