Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Virtual Memory and Other Drives?

Virtual Memory and Other Drives?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2009, 12:36 AM

I'm thinking about putting a RAID 0 in my 15" unibody MBP. Right now I boot off of a ExpressCard 48GB SSD, which is really fast, but of course it's not that big. I figure that the array would be quite good at handling large swap files, but I don't believe OS X will just use other drives mounted in the system, but I wondered if I could ask it to do so, much like you can with scratch disks in Photoshop. Ideas? Thanks!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2009, 03:22 AM

Back in the early days of OS X I remember I had my swap files on a dedicated HDD partition too. It was as simple as editing a config file and including the new path. No idea if that stuff still works. But there's for sure still some way to do that. Have you tried google?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2009, 03:50 AM

I'd leave the swap on the SSD, since it'll be fastest there. Unless you're getting huge swap files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules