Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Surprise Surprise!

Surprise Surprise!
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 04:15 AM

I got a kernel panic the other day! Once upon a time, that wasn't a reason to be excited. But it's been SO LONG since I got one on my primary desktop. Seriously, I don't even remember. At least a few years. I think this one came about due to the sketchy hard drive I was surface-scanning. But still, it's so rare to have a hard crash like this, it's like having a bird shit on your head, it must be good luck!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 10:16 AM

KPs are so retro!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 10:24 AM

It doesn't count if your HD is dying.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 02:31 PM

Good credit score!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 02:32 PM

Thanks, it's a free site so who knows how accurate it is.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Thanks, it's a free site so who knows how accurate it is.
The Score itself might not be 100% the same that you get from the Big 3, but the general changes pretty much correspond to changes you would see n the Big 3 credit scores.
Overall, I think it's pretty good for a free service.

-t

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 02:53 PM

Yeah I mean that plus the free yearly reports should be enough to make sure things are on track. Although I always have trouble getting my yearly reports. They'll always say I already got my report when I didn't. I've complained but never heard anything back. Oh well.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2010, 04:32 PM

You really have to admire how pretty the modern KP is. A nice graying filter in the background and a translucent, multi-language restart message. Remarkable fit and finish.

I think it's probably been about a year since I've experienced one. I see BSODs with greater regularity, given that I'm on Windows more than OS X now. BSODs are rare as well, of course. I'm really seriously thinking about getting into Hackintoshing when I get back to Cali, though.

Hey, anyone miss the classic Mac OS bomb dialogs?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 28, 2010 at 04:46 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by big mac View Post
hey, anyone miss the classic mac os bomb dialogs?
no!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 06:05 PM

I certainly don't miss restarting Mac OS 7 every day, multiple times.

On either of my OSX machines I've only seen a KP once, and it was 5 years ago when I was trying to network my Mac and a PC. Other than that I can't remember the last time OSX so much as froze on me.

Same goes for my iMac under Windows XP, sure I have to restart now and again when things start to run wonky, but it's been a while since I've seen a BSOD too.

hayesk
Sep 28, 2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I certainly don't miss restarting Mac OS 7 every day, multiple times.
Hmm... I don't remember doing that. I usually only had to restart when programming and did something really wrong. I never understood why people had to restart classic MacOS every day - maybe they were running something I wasn't.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 07:32 PM

I learned Photoshop 4, Bryce 3D, Myst, etc on my sisters PM 7200/120. On any given day of hard use it would lock up at least once.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 08:11 PM

The Classic Mac OS was really reliable, as long as you had no extension conflicts, enough memory(or rather enough VM turned on), and enough memory assigned to each app. In other words, it wasn't terribly reliable for many users.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
The Classic Mac OS was really reliable, as long as you had no extension conflicts, enough memory(or rather enough VM turned on), and enough memory assigned to each app. In other words, it wasn't terribly reliable for many users.
I never used VM, but I always had machines with max RAM anyways. I found old OSes ran much more sluggish with VM turned on, maybe disabling it made them more unstable as well?

Once I got a-hold of that 7200 I installed far to many extensions and really screwed up that poor computer. It was a learning experience trashing prefs for certain things and booting up with extensions off, re-allocating RAM to certain programs, all that jazz. In hindsight it wasn't a terribly reliable OS at all, unless you kept it very clean.

When I bought the iMac I had, mostly, learned my lesson. Still hated how burning a CD in Toast would lock up the whole machine, or how any browser could take your system down at any time.

Since 10.1 on my G4, some 9-odd years ago, I haven't experienced more than one system crash on any of my machines, never needed a re-install of any Mac OS and never had any issues with peripherals (USB was flaky on the iMac after a while). Quite simply, for 9 years I've had smooth sailing with Mac OSX on my machines.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2010, 11:07 PM

Of course, even if you had a top-of-the-line machine, a gig of memory (which would have been spread across 8 SIMMs at a bajillion dollars a piece), and extensions lovingly pared down to the minimum, if you tried to do things faster than the processor could handle...

Boom.

It was snappy though.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 12:39 AM

Man, I haven't seen a kp since my Power Mac G4 days.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2010, 11:32 AM

I used to see them all the time on my iMac -- when my kids were playing flash-based games. Funny thing is, I have a Macbook and the same games don't affect it at all.

hayesk
Sep 29, 2010, 01:58 PM

Ha ha, fair enough. Today though, I find those who have trouble with MacOS X today are the types that install every little system "maintenance" utility they can find, Little Snitch (without knowing how to use it properly), and reinstall their system every couple of months for fun.

Those that leave it alone and just use the software they need to tend to fair much better.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2010, 04:40 PM

AAAh yes. I remember it well. Give a designer a Mac and they'll happily have Photoshop 5, Illustrator 5, maybe Quark 4, suitcase with a bazillion fonts all open. Add in networking and of course the joys of SCSi drives and scanners and ... boom! At least three or four times a day for each Mac in the studio.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules