Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 92)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 26, 2017, 08:42 AM

A few more points:
Regarding "family friendly"... if you want to be subtle, fine. But let's not make things obvious, shall we? Keep it classy is probably better advice.

I'm willing to go either way with the skins. Personally I like seeing the different looks people give their consoles so I'm inclined for that to be player's choice. I do prefer mods that have additional biomes in them so that may affect skin selection.

Finally, let's talk pre-packaged mods. I tend to stick with the usual suspects, like Hexxit or the Tekkit Classic. I haven't had a lot of time to go looking for creative mods. Anyone have any suggestions?

andi*pandi
Jul 26, 2017, 10:08 AM

This all sounds great, I can pitch in. I like building, adventuring, and exploring, so interesting worlds/creatures/enemies are cool.

No ****in' bees.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2017, 04:45 PM

I will be down for whatever the group decides, I'm just hoping whatever modpack cy builds can actually run halfway decent on my current Mac and speaking of that my ability to use texture packs is also extremely limited I'd imagine. Don't let that stop you guys though, I'll groove on it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 26, 2017, 07:43 PM

Being honest, while building a pack would be nice and unique but I'm so out of date with the various mods it would be quicker, and easier, to pick a pre-existing modpack from somewhere like FTB or Technic and roll with it. For a modded minecraft I could really care less if it's 'current' or not as long as it's stable and works for most of our systems.

From what I remember sek your system tends to bog down with massive structure loads or super-complex machines. Do you have any modpacks you've run that are smooth?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2017, 08:15 PM

The tekkit launcher is a total no-go, last modpack I ran without many problems was FTB Lite 3

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 26, 2017, 08:50 PM

well crap. I was seriously looking at tekkit classic. Old school, but all the stuff we usually like. hmmm.... back to the drawing board...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2017, 09:33 PM

It might just be the launcher, the last modpack through the vanilla launcher ran pretty well for me.

I'll fire up tekkit classic and see what happens.

Edit: Same as before, awful FPS and input lag. For some reason modpacks through the FTB launcher work much better.
( Last edited by sek929; Jul 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 27, 2017, 07:05 AM

are you using twitch as the FTB launcher?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 27, 2017, 07:28 AM

If anyone can, take a look at "All the mods 3" and let me know what you think. It's more of a "kitchen sink" mod than an "explore" mod but it seems well put together. I still have to test a server with it but it looks promising. Built on Minecraft 1.12 with forge, for those who care about such things.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2017, 10:24 AM

The situation may have solved itself. I'm grabbing my sisters 2013 27" iMac any day now.

Pick whatever mod pack you guys want and I should be able to run it just fine

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 27, 2017, 10:40 AM

I'm still interested in thoughts on the "All the mods 3" pack. I'm still play-testing it but so far I like what I see. Being a 1.12 modpack it doesn't have "fan favorites" like Buildcraft and the like but it does have a good load-up of mods that do similar functions. Should keep the engineers, builders, and explorers happy.

But of a memory-heavy mod from a server perspective but that's not a huge hurdle to overcome. Just moves the server out of the 'dirt cheap' range to the 'reasonably priced' range.

Again, give it a look and let me know what people think... if it looks good I'd love to stand it up this weekend.

andi*pandi
Jul 27, 2017, 11:54 AM

I can't access any links from work ( or google has failed me) but will check later.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2017, 12:39 PM

Just perusing the list of mods in that pack and woo-boy, I think it should suffice!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2017, 08:44 PM

People may want to try running it locally first to see if there will be performance problems.
also

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...ottom-comments

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2017, 08:55 PM

I have no strong opinions. The mods I'm currently running (aside from NEI) is environmentalcreepers (remove creeper damage to blocks), and VeinMiner (da best).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2017, 09:30 PM

So I grabbed my sisters computer today.

2013 27" iMac
3.4ghz Quad Core i7
8 GB of RAM (soon to be 24)
GTX 675MX 1GB
1TB HDD (eventually to be replaced with big SSD)

Needless to say I've got a grin on my face, looking forward to taking it for a spin on the new server!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 27, 2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
People may want to try running it locally first to see if there will be performance problems.
also

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...ottom-comments
I ran into similar when I had the physical server. Had nice long meaty -jar line to try and keep things smooth. Problem I have now is 1) I really, really don't want to fire up the beast of a PowerEdge (electric bill + noise) but it would have plenty of grunt to run several linux-based MC servers. My other supermicro server is really meant to be a web host so can only handle 4GB RAM. Again, not ideal...

So looking at hosting that will give us enough grunt to run something like All The Mods 3 right now. I think, THINK, we could do it with a 4GB plan but the devil will be in the details. minecraftserver.net has all the background grunt (SSD drives, etc etc) but the plans are pricey. Looking at Alkiz as well... decisions, decisions ....

Update: Alkiz looks like darn near "point and click" hosting. Here's all the mods they will setup for you....
https://www.akliz.net/modpacks#modpacks
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Jul 27, 2017 at 10:02 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 29, 2017, 09:54 AM

OK, spent some time yesterday screwing around with various mods, and somewhat surprisingly the All The Mods 3 was the smoothest of any "kitchen sink" style mods I tried. It DOES eat about 4GB locally when pushed, so please let me know if that's an issue for anyone (my system has 8GB and was fine). But right now it's my front-runner.

After reading review after review of various hosting sites, I'm probably going to go with akliz. It's hosting site is Boston, which for the non-telecom folks in the crowd is a big telecom hub so connections should be fine from anywhere. They do all the same techie stuff as minecraftserver.net (SSD drives, etc etc) with the added bonus of "single click" modpack setups. Finally, they allow the admin to have a few servers 'pre-loaded' so if we decide our first choice is not ideal we can try another modpack without losing the first one.

Anyone else try out ATM^3 locally?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 29, 2017, 04:58 PM

UPDATE
-----------------------

OK, after testing ATM^3 I decided that it was just a bit too heavy. So, I tried out "All The MODS: Lite" and was MUCH happier with the performance! So that's what I'm going with. The specific version is 2.91

You can get the pack several ways:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/pro...-the-mods-lite
https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/mine...-the-mods-lite
Through Twitch

Once you have the MOD, point it here: cycl0pse-atml.g.akliz.net and you should be good to go. I've put a 10 person limit on the server and would like to whitelist everyone who is going to use it eventually. Give it a test drive and let me know what you think.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2017, 05:55 PM

Is this through the vanilla launcher? Can't seem to find installation instructions on the site.

Wait nevermind, didn't realize Twitch was a standalone program...
( Last edited by sek929; Jul 29, 2017 at 06:05 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2017, 06:38 PM

Logged in, runs great, tons of mods to wrap my head around.

I'll be on later, gotta run errands for a few hours. We going right into building or is this a test server?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 29, 2017, 06:39 PM

Unless something goes horribly wrong I was just going to go with it. Glad it ran OK!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2017, 08:58 AM

If you have issues with textures in the config folder there is a splash.propteries file, change enabled to false.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2017, 10:28 PM

There going to be any rules for territories, distance between homes, etc.?

(I'm installing now, about to log in)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2017, 11:50 PM

Good lord, the installing/using mod experience still sucks. Downloaded the Iron Chests mod, doesn't load because textures are missing. Says update forge. Update forge, same problem.

Finally got sick of chests so I downloaded the StorageDrawers mod. Requires a chameleon mod on top of it. Crashed minecraft on start. Quick google says it might be an old version of forge – except the post is from two months ago and mine is at least current with July.

Ughhhhhhhhhh

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2017, 11:51 PM

WTH is with needing a twitch app? I swear modding minecraft is just layers upon layers...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2017, 08:22 AM

Yeah I was a bit thrown by that, honestly works great for the amount of mods that ATM Lite uses.

I started a home S of spawn in a mountain side, lots of dungeons nearby.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 31, 2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
There going to be any rules for territories, distance between homes, etc.?

(I'm installing now, about to log in)
Nothing formal, no. I know Blaze setup about a klick (ergo, 1KM, ergo, 1000 blocks) away from spawn. I've been working right around the spawn 'safe house' but I plan on relocating at some point. I'll be leaving the tinker's stuff at the spawn locale until everyone is setup in their own places as a group thing, then I'll move it to my eventual home.

What does everyone think about putting some kind of marker near the safe house that explains where they are setup? A statue, a monument, something fun or cheesy that lets us know who you are then a sign stating where your home base is?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2017, 09:59 AM

I like that idea. My place is a quick boat ride south so I was going to make some lighted pillars leading the way, maybe a little boat ramp, the stuff at spawn will have to be built by an admin though, can't modify it as a peasant.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2017, 10:02 AM

Busy weekend, I will try to get on this week. Sounds fun!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 10:24 AM

I'll see if I can download tonight. I have serious issues with curse's site loading properly in safari

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 31, 2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I like that idea. My place is a quick boat ride south so I was going to make some lighted pillars leading the way, maybe a little boat ramp, the stuff at spawn will have to be built by an admin though, can't modify it as a peasant.
ahh, yes. default spawn protection. I forgot about that little quirk. I can't get into the server from work (ahh, IT security policies) but when I get home I'll reduce the "protected zone" and see if I can mark a good location for everyone to use.

also, I need suggestions on two things. First, I currently have the server backing up every hour. I think this is excessive. Suggestions on a reasonable time? Every 4 hours? 8? Once a day?

Second, when running forge it's suggested that the server have a scheduled reboot to keep the memory from running rampant. What is a good time (EST) to have the server auto-reboot? I was thinking 3 or 4 AM but I'm open to suggestions. This will be every day, including weekends.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 31, 2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'll see if I can download tonight. I have serious issues with curse's site loading properly in safari
let me poke around a bit for you tonight. If I can find a ZIP archive with all the mods and such in it will that work for you? You'll probably have to download the proper version of forge and load it into the vanilla launcher. Right now I'm just using the twitch launcher but I fully understand why some people aren't comfortable with twitch. I'm probably going to switch over to the vanilla launcher at some point.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 11:02 AM

Don't stress over that. My fallback is trying to open the site in Firefox.

I have forge, though if you guys are running a specific version let me know which.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 11:08 AM

Can someone explain the consequences of merging my curse and twitch accounts? Do I need my twitch login to log onto me minecraft then?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 31, 2017, 11:15 AM

Can someone explain the consequences of merging my curse and twitch accounts? Do I need my twitch login to log onto me minecraft then?
This is my first time using Twitch, but in my case loading Twitch loaded a complete second Minecraft install folder. My install gave me the option to tell twitch where to install so I let it have it's own folder. My Minecraft launcher (and password) still work with the stock launcher and the Twitch minecraft is entirely separate. It did not in any way merge accounts or change Minecraft to use the Twitch account.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2017, 02:17 PM

I skipped the merging process and used the Minecraft tab on Twitch. I was up and running in very little time. I had some window-resizing issues which could have been alleviated if I'd noticed the Minecraft settings in the Twitch app beforehand. In all, I had a mostly pain-free experience.

I set up a temporary safehouse located in the (awesome) mountains west of the village, but I plan on exploring further out to find a suitable base of operations.

Oh, and the mobs...I was not prepared for how quickly they'd kick my butt, especially the blaze that shows up outside the door each night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
This is my first time using Twitch, but in my case loading Twitch loaded a complete second Minecraft install folder. My install gave me the option to tell twitch where to install so I let it have it's own folder. My Minecraft launcher (and password) still work with the stock launcher and the Twitch minecraft is entirely separate. It did not in any way merge accounts or change Minecraft to use the Twitch account.
Mucho helpful. Got that running and downloaded the mod pack from there. Will give it a try tonight, probably

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2017, 06:07 PM

Oh, and the mobs...I was not prepared for how quickly they'd kick my butt, especially the blaze that shows up outside the door each night.
I'm not sure if you played on the Hexxit server, because these mobs and dungeon spawns share a lot in common.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 06:10 PM

This sounds... troubling

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 31, 2017, 06:18 PM

This sounds... troubling
It's not as horrible as it sounds... well, OK, it *IS* that horrible when you're first starting out, have a wooden sword, and run into an armored skeleton that takes 1/4 heart damage per swing. That is rather miserable. The thing is, the mixture of MODs is pretty high octane so you don't stay helpless very long. There's also a lot of ores at high elevations so you can arm and armor up with Iron or similar pretty quickly. Then it's decidedly less of an issue. But take the dungeons VERY seriously until you know the tricks...

(for the record the Server is on 1: Easy)

I just rebooted the world and resized the spawn safe area from 16 to 4. Let's see what that does for putting up signs and structures in SPAWN.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2017, 07:51 PM

My death was 1/2 skeleton 1/2 fall damage in my quest for slime boots. I usually skip wooden swords in favor of running away. One the the issues with starting out on a server is you can join at night. I can be offset by other players with beds. I'm going to try ab be more build oriented on this server than rushing the tech tree.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2017, 08:27 PM

I'm not sure if you played on the Hexxit server, because these mobs and dungeon spawns share a lot in common.
Yeah, I barely touched that server. I remember walking around and being stunned by the existence of horses (I spent a long time away).

I'm actually reading on patterns right now. That's how basic my knowledge is. I have no idea how much of this stuff works, and it seems to be more difficult to find a wiki like the one that existed for Tekkit.

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
It's not as horrible as it sounds... well, OK, it *IS* that horrible when you're first starting out, have a wooden sword, and run into an armored skeleton that takes 1/4 heart damage per swing. That is rather miserable. The thing is, the mixture of MODs is pretty high octane so you don't stay helpless very long. There's also a lot of ores at high elevations so you can arm and armor up with Iron or similar pretty quickly. Then it's decidedly less of an issue. But take the dungeons VERY seriously until you know the tricks...
I ran around with an iron chest plate and iron sword screaming, "WHY IS NOTHING HAPPENING?" as I scrambled around trying to stay alive. Then the blaze hits me and I get partially blinded, having last seen three creepers headed my way.

(for the record the Server is on 1: Easy)
That was actually what caused me to be so surprised. I saw it was set on Easy beforehand.

I got a good laugh out of it afterward though. Worth it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 10:31 PM

I don't know what the point of easy is in the game. Zombies and creepers still take three hits with a diamond sword. Its absurd.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2017, 10:35 AM

Oh Andi btw, there are bees!

I actually thought for a second about doing my oil-bee setup again for power, by fuuuuuuuu that.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 1, 2017, 11:09 AM

Oh Andi btw, there are bees!

I actually thought for a second about doing my oil-bee setup again for power, by fuuuuuuuu that.
Yea, I looked high and low for a decent "kitchen sink' modpack that didn't have some form of bees... and just couldn't find one. As Blaze pointed out to me, at least with this pack bees are optional Plenty of other stuff to do.

And it really seems like, mob fighting excluded, most of us are using this as a building server. Still trying to decide what to build this time...

cycl0pse

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2017, 12:01 PM

I don't know what the point of easy is in the game. Zombies and creepers still take three hits with a diamond sword. Its absurd.
Even when they're armored?

Nearly every zombie I've seen so far has been loaded down with armor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2017, 12:06 PM

Even when they're armored?

Nearly every zombie I've seen so far has been loaded down with armor.
I'm talking vanilla. I've died, in iron armor in vanilla minecraft. Never mind this modded stuff.

Are bees dangerous in some way that you were trying to avoid the mod? I got near a hive last night but took minimal damage.

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2017, 12:13 PM

They are just a humungous time suck. If you devote your waking life to them, eventually they make you diamonds.

Electric bees were funny though. Zap!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2017, 12:32 PM

Andi and I went way down a bee hole on our Direwolf server way back when. I bred bees for fuel oil, Andi went all the way to diamond and emerald bees. It was an interesting system to master, but the thought of doing it again is just unimaginable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules