Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Controling right click on ADB mouse

Controling right click on ADB mouse
ebolla
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 11:31 AM

are there any 3rd party products that will allow me to customize the right click on my adb mouse
at the very least is there a way to set it to 'control click'
i'm in 9.1 on a PM8500

thanks-

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 09:42 PM

who makes the mouse. i have a kensington 4-button mouse, and it had its own software to control all the buttons. seems ot me that if a company made a multibutton ADB mouse, software MUST have been included to control it...

ebolla  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2002, 02:23 PM

the mouse is pretty generic with no manufacturer name
right now the right click is set as a click and drag
its been set that way since i plugged it in and i'm seeing if there might be some kinda control panel to change that behavior
i know its not a kensington because i tried the mouseworks software with the ADB extensions and wasnt able to get anywhere

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by ebolla:
the mouse is pretty generic with no manufacturer name
right now the right click is set as a click and drag
its been set that way since i plugged it in and i'm seeing if there might be some kinda control panel to change that behavior
i know its not a kensington because i tried the mouseworks software with the ADB extensions and wasnt able to get anywhere
all im saying is, it MUST have software being an ADB mouse, ie. a mac mouse. since the system only supports a 1 button mouse, it had to have software to control, no matter how generic is it. are there any model numbers or anything that could identify it?

bg

ebolla  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2002, 01:37 PM

i tried the mouse2b control panel from off of version tracker and it was unable to control the right click
i've also noticed that even when i boot up from an os 9 cd that the right click has the same drag function activated
the mouse didnt even come with this machine so i have no clue as to how it is set up this way
must be just the default
so is this how all adb mice perform in os 9?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2003, 03:35 AM

Mac OS 9 and earlier see all mice as one-button mice. Any further function is either a function of the mouse software, or of the mouse itself modifying the button.

Most multibutton ADB mice have software to control the function.

Others, and this is what the one you have sounds like, control the button behavior themselves, typically with the drag-lock you describe. (Even on OS X, that is what such mice continye to do.) Sometimes these mice have little switches somewhere to turn on/off the drag-lock.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules