Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > browser doesnt find internet

browser doesnt find internet
tether
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2006, 01:52 PM

hi
when i plug in my internet ethernet cable, the Network Status tells me i have a connection to the internet and gives an IP address, but the browser can't seem to find the internet.
any tips on what i could try?

i'm running
OSX 10.4.7 and Firefox 1.5.0.6 and Safari 2.0.4 on a powerbook

thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 02:48 PM

Oh noes! You deleted the interweb!

Pop open the terminal and try "ping google.com"

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2006, 07:00 AM

howdy mduell, cheers for reply

i typed 'ping google.com' into the terminal, and while on dialup i got data (i forgot to say before, but i can get onto the interweb using dialup); then when i type it in with the ethernet plugged in, i get this mesage: '36 bytes from 123.456.7.8: Destination Net Unreachable'

i'm not at all a techie; what do i do next?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 13, 2006, 11:32 AM

So tether, what exactly are you plugging your ethernet cable into? What kind of non-dialup connection do you have? It's important.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2006, 12:31 PM

well its broadband, but i'm not sure if that gives enough info: i have a little plastic thing plugged into my phone line with two outputs - one labelled 'tel', for the phone, the other 'ADSL' - and thats plugged into a black box that says 'ADSL Router' on it, and that to the 'puter.

like i say i havent much tech knowledge, but i guess that would tell you what it is.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 13, 2006, 08:51 PM

You have DSL. Here in the States, we typically call it just "DSL," though it seems to be more common to call it "ADSL" in the UK...

Anyway, who's your ISP? And when they gave you the modem (that's the box you're talking about) did they give you any little gadgets to plug into your other telephone outlets? Those are called "microfilters," and they are necessary for the modem to work on your phone line. Without them, the signal won't be strong enough or consistent enough for the modem to work properly. They go on every phone outlet EXCEPT the one the modem plugs into.

Also, if you just got the modem, has the ISP told you your connection is actually ready to plug into? My line was checked, I had the hardware, and still I had to wait about a week for my ISP to finish setting up their end. If their end isn't finished, your end won't work.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 10:59 AM

My ISP is UTV.
i dont think they gave me microfilters - the only thing i have to plug into the line are the line-DSL adapters. But i've had it working before - i had it working a while then it stopped working. Im not sure that i did anything particular around the time it stopped working. I was having trouble with the ethernet port (the cable doesnt click in), and i was messing trying to fix that. Now i know the port works if i hold in the ethernet cable - i guess i could have clicked something around at that time to cause it to stop working, but i'm not sure what it could be - i was clicking around in the Network Port Configurations thing, but thats showing as connected, so..

Forum Links
Forum Rules