Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook w/ 2GB RAM

Macbook w/ 2GB RAM
JonnoBrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 03:15 PM

I'm going to apologise in advance for this appallingly noob-ish question....

If I want to purchase a new Macbook, and I want the 2GB RAM, do I have to buy the Macbook, then upgrade manually, or is it possible to just buy the thing already loaded with the 2GB RAM?

Sorry, if it's a dumb question, but I would really appreciate an answer. Thanks
Chinese Water Torture > Using Windows XP.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 03:22 PM

You can configure a MacBook from store.apple.com with 2GB of RAM, but you pay a huge premium for Apple RAM (it costs $450 for their 2GB RAM upgrade).

You are much better off buying a stock MacBook and buying the RAM elsewhere, where you can get the same ram in the $200-250 price range. Installing RAM in the MacBook is incredibly easy to do, so it's worth the savings.

Live10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 03:23 PM

Yes you can buy it loaded with 2GB of ram, but its going to cost you a lot more because Apple is somewhat expensive with there ram. I suggest you buy a Macbook with 512MB of ram, and then purchase 2GB of ram in newegg.com. Its going to be much cheaper.

JonnoBrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 03:26 PM

Okay, thanks very much for the answers My concern is I'm British, but I live in Cairo, Egypt, where stuff like this is basically impossible to get, so I'd have to hop over to England to get the Macbook, but I'm not sure if I would have time to also stick in some RAM :S Especially as I have no idea how to install RAM. I suck.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 03:30 PM

It's really quite simple; check out this video:

Tech Center at OtherWorldComputing.com

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 03:31 PM

The RAM for the MacBook is EASY to install. You just need a small screwdriver. I put mine in myself last night, and got two 1 GB sticks of RAM for $160 each. So now my MacBook is MAXED OUT! w00t! It's fast.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

JonnoBrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 03:50 PM

Watching the video now, elektrix. It really is simple! That's a load of my mind. Thank you to everyone who took the time to help a silly noob

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 04:11 PM

wow...i'm jealous after going through the horror of upgrading the drive in my ibook

cruisereg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 12:16 PM

When you upgrade yourself, you have spares! My 60Gb stock disk now sits in an external enclosure. I doubt I'll ever use the 2 256Mb SODIMMs, but if I ever need them, they are there.
2GHz MacBook w/2Gb RAM & 120Gb disk

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 03:43 PM

cruisereg, what external enclosure did you get for your stock 60Gb HD? I've been looking for a decent one for a while.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 03:39 AM

get the 2 gigs of ram. i ordered 2 sticks a few days ago from newegg.com and installed them tonight, and wow is my system fast and smooth now! I was running mail, safari, ichat, itunes, iphoto, photo booth, word, and parallels with xp all at the same time with no noticable lag.

moral of the story: do it, its sweet.
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 05:39 AM

depending on where you'll be in the UK - you could ring one of the independent apple dealers before you leave Cairo and get them to get the cheaper Ram - they will fit it for you for a price, but it should still work out cheaper than getting it from Apple direct.

these two are based in London

http://www.squaregroup.co.uk/

http://cancomuk.com/

hope that helps

Originally Posted by JonnoBrown
Okay, thanks very much for the answers My concern is I'm British, but I live in Cairo, Egypt, where stuff like this is basically impossible to get, so I'd have to hop over to England to get the Macbook, but I'm not sure if I would have time to also stick in some RAM :S Especially as I have no idea how to install RAM. I suck.

cruisereg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by MacDuff
cruisereg, what external enclosure did you get for your stock 60Gb HD? I've been looking for a decent one for a while.
I don't have it with me right now, but whatever it is, I don't suggest it! It works fine unless you are moving lots and data, the HD thermal shutdown/pause kicks in. I'm looking for another case that either has a fan or a much better enclosure. I went for super cheap and got what I paid for
2GHz MacBook w/2Gb RAM & 120Gb disk

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by cruisereg
I don't have it with me right now, but whatever it is, I don't suggest it! It works fine unless you are moving lots and data, the HD thermal shutdown/pause kicks in. I'm looking for another case that either has a fan or a much better enclosure. I went for super cheap and got what I paid for
It's on the pricey side, but looks pretty nice:

OWC Mercury On-The-Go 2.5" FW800/USB2.0 Encl... (MSTG800U2) at OWC

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the reply cruisereg. I almost went with a cheap one without a fan or other manner of cooling but your reply convinced me that not jumping on it was a wise move.

Elektrix....that enclosure looks awesome! I like that it has both USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 connections as well as a heatsinks and pass-through vents. I have just ordered one. Thanks for the link!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 07:12 PM

2 Questions:

Does having 2x512 MB of RAM = 1GB slower than just 1 stick of 1 GB RAM?

Who's the most reliable maker of RAM? Good experiences?
Signature depreciated.

Macintosh Sauce
Oct 12, 2006, 08:40 PM

Crucial is excellent for memory. I have used them for years without any problems whatsoever.

tomasboudr
Oct 17, 2006, 05:13 PM

buy the barebones and upgreae the RAM yourself. and the HD too!

I got 2x 1gb sticks for 86 each... Lower prices on computers, servers, computer parts and electronics than anywhere else! Pricewatch.com... use this for any HD or memory buying and you will be surprised at how cheap stuff is.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 07:01 AM

Hi!

What's the paying method, when ordering from newegg? Can Mastercard do the trick, or is it only on-delivery?
Thx

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
Hi!

What's the paying method, when ordering from newegg? Can Mastercard do the trick, or is it only on-delivery?
Thx
You can pay with any major credit card. I'm running 2gb of Patriot ram I got from Newegg in my Macbook and it runs great. Even going from 1.5gb to 2gb was a noticible improvement.

aritwik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 01:50 PM

Do I lose my 3 year warranty if I purchase one aftermarket and install it myself. A quick question to the apple rep guy at the apple store revealed yes I do!

Any clarifications?

Forum Links
Forum Rules