Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > class action lawsuit

class action lawsuit
praxela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 08:16 PM

AppleInsider | Apple MacBook owners organizing class action lawsuit

This could end up becoming very interesting. Nothing is final yet but I for one would like to Apple held responsible for a faulty product.

I'm not just complaining. I've had to get mine fixed for this problem 3 times.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 09:53 PM

That will solve the problems. The laywers will get rich and the consumers will get a 5 dollar coupon good towards their next purchase of an apple product.

Class actions suits are good for only one thing making money for lawyers. I don't know of one class action that brougt restitution to the affected parties. Most of the time they only get some sort of lame coupon or discount.
Michael

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 12, 2006, 10:22 PM

Now I feel kinda of weary of my MacBook I just ordered. It's a refurbished model, so one would think anything that was wrong with it has been replaced before it was sent out. Man I hope so...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

nabilanwar
Oct 12, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
That will solve the problems. The laywers will get rich and the consumers will get a 5 dollar coupon good towards their next purchase of an apple product.

Class actions suits are good for only one thing making money for lawyers. I don't know of one class action that brougt restitution to the affected parties. Most of the time they only get some sort of lame coupon or discount.

guess we should all pretend that nothing is happening in the macbook world too. Just hold our tongues and drool while Apple spanks us into submission.

If consumers didn't respond to 3 macbook problems, RSS, discoloration and excessive heat then Apple would have never felt the need to 'admit' these problems thru their knowledgebase articles. As a consumer I think Apple should get their assess sued for selling faulty machinery.

"...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." - Abraham Lincoln

nabilanwar
Oct 12, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz
Now I feel kinda of weary of my MacBook I just ordered. It's a refurbished model, so one would think anything that was wrong with it has been replaced before it was sent out. Man I hope so...
sorry man, i've read ur frustrated posts in the forums about needing a computer. Hope this refurb model is good for ya. Good luck.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 13, 2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by nabilanwar
sorry man, i've read ur frustrated posts in the forums about needing a computer. Hope this refurb model is good for ya. Good luck.
Thanks mate. I hope so too. Although, if it has been refurbished, that means it has went through some extensive checks and updates before being sold under warranty again. So I would think the chances of it being faulty are equally or less likely than that of a new MacBook.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 13, 2006, 12:19 PM

I've received notices for two class-action lawsuits, one of which alleged that Sprint overcharged its wireless customers for some fees (I really don't remember what it was, all I know is that it was a trivial amount).

For participants in the class-action lawsuit, know what they got?

A 30 minute long distance calling card from Sprint, valued at about $2. Let's see, I haven't paid for long-distance in over six years through various wireless providers, so what good is it?

Know what the law firm got?

Costs and fees capped at $4 million, and I'll be a donut that the fees came to $3,999,999.99.

Now you tell me who won in this lawsuit.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by nabilanwar
guess we should all pretend that nothing is happening in the macbook world too. Just hold our tongues and drool while Apple spanks us into submission.
No, that's not my point. My point is that class action suits are useless. What will happen if this occurs is that it will probably settle out of court where apple will admit to no wrong doing. Provide a coupon for a small amount to all affected consumers and pay for the lawyer fees which will amount in the millions.

if apple does not settle they may lose and with the laywers helps devise a settlement where they will provide a coupon to all effected consumers for a small monetary amount and pay for the laywer fees that will now probably total in the 10s of millions.

Edit:
I'm not saying apple is blameless, I'm just pointnig out the futility of class action lawsuits. They have one purpose and one purpose only - make lawyers rich.
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; Oct 13, 2006 at 02:41 PM. )
Michael

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 01:15 PM

Another reason to have some kind of extended warranty, AppleCare or otherwise.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2006, 09:10 PM

Mine failed 3 times and I got a replacement that's been free of troubles for the last 2 months. Will I file a suit? No, they took care of the issue finally and I'm happy.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 13, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Another reason to have some kind of extended warranty, AppleCare or otherwise.
One should not be scared about the hardware they buy requiring them to pay additional to guarantee it works.
iMac G4 / Macbook

LordJohnWhorfin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 02:19 AM

I agree with mac128k... Those stupid class action lawsuits are only good because they hurt and shame the company, showing them it doesn't pay to misbehave. But don't count on them to be compensated.
I'm suspecting one might be better off to actively seek to be excluded from the class action and seek compensation in small claims court instead, using the class action settlement documentation as proof of the company's wrongdoing. Besides, the company is not likely to bother sending an attorney to fight over a couple of grand. Worst case scenario: you lose the $35 filing fee.
Now, although it's pretty obvious there is a problem, it's also far from being widespread. Yes, there are hundreds of computers affected, but considering over a million MacBooks have shipped, it's a very small percentage. I still think the MacBook is one of the best laptops Apple ever made, and by far the best bargain they ever sold, so don't worry drnkn_stylz. You'll love your new MacBook.

nabilanwar
Oct 14, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin
I agree with mac128k... Those stupid class action lawsuits are only good because they hurt and shame the company, showing them it doesn't pay to misbehave. But don't count on them to be compensated.
I'm suspecting one might be better off to actively seek to be excluded from the class action and seek compensation in small claims court instead, using the class action settlement documentation as proof of the company's wrongdoing. Besides, the company is not likely to bother sending an attorney to fight over a couple of grand. Worst case scenario: you lose the $35 filing fee.
Now, although it's pretty obvious there is a problem, it's also far from being widespread. Yes, there are hundreds of computers affected, but considering over a million MacBooks have shipped, it's a very small percentage. I still think the MacBook is one of the best laptops Apple ever made, and by far the best bargain they ever sold, so don't worry drnkn_stylz. You'll love your new MacBook.

do u have a macbook urself?

nabilanwar
Oct 14, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
One should not be scared about the hardware they buy requiring them to pay additional to guarantee it works.
righty o!

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2006, 01:28 PM

if your macbook is faulty join the lawsuit, if your macbook was sent in numerous times to have it fixed join the lawsuit if yours is 1 of the lucky batch that recieved it in good condition worry free you have no say in this matter.

If we the people dont stand up to companys like apple, then they will feel like they can release a faulty product and dont get penalized for it. A $5 dollar coupon as some of you say is the top layer, but when negative aspect of lawsuits and faulty products news start spreading that can mean drop of sales for apple. Yes they may sugar coat it with giving away coupons, but eventually if they use the same tactic all over again it will turn to "ALL APPLE DO IS RELEASE FAULTY PRODUCTS, AND TO COMPENSATE ITS CUSTOMERS ALL THEY DO IS GIVE $5 DOLLAR COUPONS IM STAYING AWAY FROM APPLE" this is something that can easily reach its tipping point and thats when all goes down.

So lawsuits as small as they may seem they definetly have an impact internally within the company trust me. 1 thing you learn in business school is how to manage the negative and positive how to properly balance each tipping point and as we all know recovering from a negative overfill is extremely harder then keeping a positive fill.

So FIGHT THE POWER you paid for something that should be working like new worry free-i know all products are not 100% but apple as the supplier its their duty to make sure what they offer is 100%.

if people would have never complained about the-whine and heat issues-or the moo on apple lineup.
I am 100% sure they will still be unfixed but that $5 dollar coupon lawsuit fixed alot of issues-i cant believe some people rather
stay quiet about a problem instead of fighting it.
( Last edited by Javizun; Oct 14, 2006 at 01:39 PM. )

mymacluvsme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 07:32 PM

My MacBook had the RSD problem. (RSS is in Safari) I sent it in, they fixed it, I'm satisfied. If your MacBook has the problem, send it in. Sheesh. Apple has publicly said they would fix it.

If Apple had refused to fix anyone's MacBook, or if there was criminal actions on their part, then I could see a lawsuit. Otherwise I agree that a lawsuit would be pointless and would only be quick money for the lawyers.
"my pc hates me, but..."

nabilanwar
Oct 15, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mymacluvsme
My MacBook had the RSD problem. (RSS is in Safari) I sent it in, they fixed it, I'm satisfied. If your MacBook has the problem, send it in. Sheesh. Apple has publicly said they would fix it.

If Apple had refused to fix anyone's MacBook, or if there was criminal actions on their part, then I could see a lawsuit. Otherwise I agree that a lawsuit would be pointless and would only be quick money for the lawyers.

As Javizun stated, Apple needs the negative press. Just cuz ur Macbook was fixed in one attempt doesnt mean everyone is in the same boat. At the end of the day Apple is just an electronics company, stop elevating their status everybody.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2006, 02:33 PM

I just got my MacBook back less than 2 weeks ago after sending it in due to random shutdowns...

Yesterday while I was using my mac, it shut down again... I'm guessing it will take a couple more weeks for it to resume doing it all the time again...

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 02:44 PM

so i got a call from one of the lawyers this past week and he asked me to be one of the names put on the lawsuit . . . i'm trying to weigh pros and cons of this . . . what should i do?

I mean, i love my macbook . . i still have it right now . . . but it has gone through a lot . . . logic board replaced twice, top case twice . . heat sink issue too . . . total of about 25 days without my macbook since June when I got it . . . it works perfectly now . . . . again, what should I do?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

mymacluvsme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
so i got a call from one of the lawyers this past week and he asked me to be one of the names put on the lawsuit . . . i'm trying to weigh pros and cons of this . . . what should i do?

I mean, i love my macbook . . i still have it right now . . . but it has gone through a lot . . . logic board replaced twice, top case twice . . heat sink issue too . . . total of about 25 days without my macbook since June when I got it . . . it works perfectly now . . . . again, what should I do?
Well, if you put your name in, what do you think you will get out of it?
"my pc hates me, but..."

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 06:07 PM

he said $5k . . .but still don't know . . . am i leaving myself open to privacy issues since my name's gonna be on there?

mymacluvsme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 07:24 AM

$5,000? for a $1,100 - $1,400 computer?

Sounds like a scam to me.
"my pc hates me, but..."

mymacluvsme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by nabilanwar View Post
As Javizun stated, Apple needs the negative press. Just cuz ur Macbook was fixed in one attempt doesnt mean everyone is in the same boat. At the end of the day Apple is just an electronics company, stop elevating their status everybody.
I'm sorry for asking, but I'm not sure what "cuzur" means.
"my pc hates me, but..."

nabilanwar
Oct 17, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mymacluvsme View Post
I'm sorry for asking, but I'm not sure what "cuzur" means.
cause ur, cause your, because your.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 02:02 PM

it's actually "cuz ur, cause you're, because you're"

tomasboudr
Oct 17, 2006, 04:59 PM

I've had my Motherboard replaced twice in my macbook and I still have the random shutdown problem, the spots on the palmrests, a broken trackpad button, and the screen lines after bootup sometimes despite having 10.4.8.

I called apple and they are sending me shipping labels to mail mine in for a new one. They are trying their best to make it right. Which makes me happy.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 05:51 PM

tell them it's the heatsink . . . i went through the same problems as you - 2 Logic Boards, 2 Top Cases

nabilanwar
Oct 18, 2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
it's actually "cuz ur, cause you're, because you're"
umm actually no, i said "Just cuz ur Macbook was fixed in one attempt ", in other words "Just because your Macbook was fixed in one attempt".

and why does this still matter? move on ppl.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 07:47 AM

Never mind
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; Oct 18, 2006 at 08:04 AM. )
Michael

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 05:41 AM

I think that class-action lawsuits are a useful recourse if for no other reason than to create a level of accountability, whenever possible. It does suck when you get some stupid coupon, but at least it was expensive for that corporation to defend themself, right? At least there is some kind of consequence for making shoddy stuff. That being said, Apple does not have a terrible record overall. i wish I could cite a source on that... Latest results: Apple still on TOP in reliablity and service - Mac Forums

Found it. Yay!

Forum Links
Forum Rules