Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What Do You Want In The Next Revision?

What Do You Want In The Next Revision?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 11:51 AM

Just a fun thread that could become useful...

What do you want to see in the next revision of the MacBook?

I want to see:

-Different sizes (11" widescreen, 13" widescreen, 15" widescreen).
-Better speakers.
-Mouse click button removal (trackpad is all that's needed).
-Backlit keyboard.

Having an ultra portable 11" widescreen would be extremely useful, and also having a bigger 15" would be nice, however the 11" and 13" could be fine. I really think the speakers should be louder, but for now I just use VLC and/or Audio Hijack. I really think the trackpad button is useless. Tapping the trackpad with one or two fingers, and the two finger scroll is super useful, and I don't even need a mouse. Lastly, I think the backlit keyboard should be standard on all notebooks. It just makes sense.

What do you think?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 12:16 PM

Better graphics support and some sort of fold out cup holder..?

Basically though I want a Macbook Pro in MacBook form and the introduction of a new "MacBook PowerPro Force Extreme" Line-up.. Apple will never listen to the likes of me though.. *sigh*

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Just a fun thread that could become useful...

What do you want to see in the next revision of the MacBook?

I want to see:

-Different sizes (11" widescreen, 13" widescreen, 15" widescreen).
-Better speakers.
-Mouse click button removal (trackpad is all that's needed).
-Backlit keyboard.

Having an ultra portable 11" widescreen would be extremely useful, and also having a bigger 15" would be nice, however the 11" and 13" could be fine. I really think the speakers should be louder, but for now I just use VLC and/or Audio Hijack. I really think the trackpad button is useless. Tapping the trackpad with one or two fingers, and the two finger scroll is super useful, and I don't even need a mouse. Lastly, I think the backlit keyboard should be standard on all notebooks. It just makes sense.

What do you think?
I would like to see a 14" screen with higher resoultion. Instead of removing the trackpad button, I think it would be cool if Apple merged them together into "Trackbutton" where the entire trackpad surface is a button, kinda like the iPod clickwheel.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2007, 01:46 PM

*Shudder* I DESPISE trackpad clicking. The amount of times i've accidentally clicked something or swiped the trackpad when typing and ended up typing somewhere else...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 05:06 PM

Better graphics (GMA 3000 or X3000) will happen, 15" will probably happen, flash memory acceration will probably happen, but aside from that I doubt we'll see much.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
*Shudder* I DESPISE trackpad clicking. The amount of times i've accidentally clicked something or swiped the trackpad when typing and ended up typing somewhere else...
I agree. I'll switch to PC if they take away the button. I think a 15" MacBook is not far off. A 11" though? No way, it's to small. A backlight keyboard is very unlikely. I'm surprised that Apple even keeps it on the MacBook Pro.

Haddock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2007, 05:43 PM

Hmm,
-lose the huge border around the screen
-keep the trackpad button but fix the 'squishyness'
-matte finish that hides scratches (now only available on the black model)
-backlit keyboard would be great
-move the eject button so I don't always hit it when trying to press delete
-more durable materials (see white macbook crack thread)

Keep dreaming: special edition with colouring and style cues based on the original mac would be pretty neat!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 10:36 PM

I want an orange MacBook with the new GMA chip and a backlit keyboard. And trackpad button. I hate trackpad clicking.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 10:56 PM

By the way better speakers has been on the consumer notebook wishlist for years. Apparently Apple isn't listening.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 05:50 AM

Ditto on loosing the 'click' button. That would be the worst move!!!

Im really up for them making the eject button a combination press such as apple key+eject. Ive lost count the number of times ive ejected a cd by accident (its the only thing i HATE about my macbook)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2007, 06:52 AM

Will happen: GMA (X)3000, Robson (flash caching)

Won't happen (but I'd still like to have): 11" model, backlit keyboard, trackpad button can sense right clicks like MM, Mobility X1600 GPU, dock connector (although that's rather a MBP feature), eSATA (or at least FW800 instead of FW400)

Won't happen (and I'm glad about that): 15" MB, card reader slots, Blue Dalmatian special edition

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2007, 07:31 AM

1. Better graphics
2. A 10" touch-screen model with the multi-touch the iPhone has
3. COLORS! This goes with iMacs too...
Signature depreciated.

hatim
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2007, 04:55 PM

Better graphics card and more colours

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 4, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Hmm,
-lose the huge border around the screen
-keep the trackpad button but fix the 'squishyness'
-matte finish that hides scratches (now only available on the black model)
-backlit keyboard would be great
-move the eject button so I don't always hit it when trying to press delete
-more durable materials (see white macbook crack thread)

Keep dreaming: special edition with colouring and style cues based on the original mac would be pretty neat!
Oooh, there's an idea...an iMac in a classic Mac case...replace the CRT with a flatpanel display and the floppy drive slot with a slot for a Superdrive. (DROOL]

Isn't 2009 the 25th anniversary of the Mac? I'm sensing a 25th anniversary edition! I'll have to do a Google search, see if anybody has already done this.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 10:24 AM

Seems like most people here just want a MacBook Pro.

What I want in the next revision is LED Backlighting. If that happens I'll be buying one when they announce it. Other than that just general increases in specs - CPU to the 2.33 Core2Duo (and the MBP to the 2.66), graphics upgrade (whatever the newest integrated graphics card is), and maybe a better way to cool the system so it's not so friggin hot all the time.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
trackpad button can sense right clicks like MM
That would totally suck. I usually use my right hand to click the trackpad button, which means it's usually on the right side. I'd hate for it to recognize that as right-clicking.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2007, 10:28 AM

A Gpu

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I usually use my right hand to click the trackpad button, which means it's usually on the right side. I'd hate for it to recognize that as right-clicking.
Just like on the MM, this could be an option.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2007, 02:29 PM

1. Better graphics card
2. More for less (lol)
3. Backlit keyboard

I think if the new edition of the macbook isnt out by August (time when I plan on purchasing), I will keep waiting for the newer version.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 04:43 PM

Just like on the MM, this could be an option.
Is it really that hard to put two fingers on the trackpad while you click? Just seems completely unnecessary to me...

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
1. Better graphics card
2. More for less (lol)
3. Backlit keyboard

I think if the new edition of the macbook isnt out by August (time when I plan on purchasing), I will keep waiting for the newer version.
So, in other words, you want a MacBook Pro...

fx9xx04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 06:13 PM

In my opinion, it would be a appropriate if Apple did away with the track pad button. Remember how Apple was the first to integrate a track pad, USB, floppy drive, Firewire. Well, they were also the first to integrate the floppy drive, and everything (well, almost) was super pissed, but in reality it was time for it to go, because it was obsolete. Like the floppy drive, we've found something better, less combersume, and yet another way to make the Mac portable line-up more streamline. Imagine how interesting it would become in the media; "Apple does away with the trackpad button on portables." People would be come interested and want to see what they've done to replace it, you know. If you were a humdrum PC user on some lame HP, it would interest you, wouldn't it?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2007, 06:24 PM

It amazes me the number of people who don't use or can't handle trackpad clicking. I have had to unlearn it, since I spend so much time using(fixing) other peoples Macs, and I think in two years I've only had one where it was enabled.
Funnily enough, I believe the button on the current MacBooks can actually do left and right, it just isn't enabled by the drivers.
I like the idea of mounting the whole pad on a button though.very nice. Might have to borrow that for a little project I'm working on.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 06:35 PM

Will happen: GMA (X)3000, Robson (flash caching)

Won't happen (but I'd still like to have): 11" model, backlit keyboard, trackpad button can sense right clicks like MM, Mobility X1600 GPU, dock connector (although that's rather a MBP feature), eSATA (or at least FW800 instead of FW400)

Won't happen (and I'm glad about that): 15" MB, card reader slots, Blue Dalmatian special edition
An 11" laptop with an X1600? "Won't happen" indeed...

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2007, 06:38 PM

All right, all this sounds "doable", but do you have any idea of the "when" it will come out?
It is due to revision as I believe it is 6 month "old", right?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It amazes me the number of people who don't use or can't handle trackpad clicking.
I just hate the amount of "false clicks" I get when the trackpad clicking is enabled. It is VERY annoying...

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 08:04 PM

I just hate the amount of "false clicks" I get when the trackpad clicking is enabled. It is VERY annoying...
+1
Linkinus is king.

vitalprogeny
Mar 4, 2007, 08:12 PM

Most people seem to forget that many options mentioned here are for the macbook pro...

apple has to keep the macbook pro line "interesting" with the "better" hardware specs and all that...

but... a gpu is needed

smaller form factor (kinda like the previous generation)

expect them to keep the current size but probably add 15"

(the following goes for macbook and "pro")
ive seen screens of a laptop that the trackpad can (after pushing a button) light up with text, you can then press these options on the trackpad (it kind of divides the trackpad into shortcut keys) for email internet or w/e... but if its customizable... it could work like the screen corners... you hit the top left corner to enable for example, and now u can set ur favorite apps to specific sections on the trackpad... when u select one.. it goes back to functioning as a trackpad and the backlit text fades away...

all it needs is a better designed trackpad button... you cant remove it entirely... options remember?

and maybe a clickwheel type thing nder the trackpad? so you could scroll indefinetely without having to push the page up with your fingers and then raise them... come back to the bottom of the trackpad and push up again... (not lazyness just efficiency)

and while the backlit keyboard is a great idea and should be on the macbook... it probably wont because it might be too expensive to and and keep the macbook pricing...
20" iMac / 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB Ram / 250GB HDD

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 4, 2007, 08:26 PM

I think the Intel GMA is fine. My Mac mini Core Solo can do all the things my iBook can without a problem. It just means you meed more RAM, but more RAM makes computing less painful anyway.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by fx9xx04 View Post
In my opinion, it would be a appropriate if Apple did away with the track pad button. Remember how Apple was the first to integrate a track pad, USB, floppy drive, Firewire. Well, they were also the first to integrate the floppy drive, and everything (well, almost) was super pissed, but in reality it was time for it to go, because it was obsolete. Like the floppy drive, we've found something better, less combersume, and yet another way to make the Mac portable line-up more streamline. Imagine how interesting it would become in the media; "Apple does away with the trackpad button on portables." People would be come interested and want to see what they've done to replace it, you know. If you were a humdrum PC user on some lame HP, it would interest you, wouldn't it?

I think that Apple will never do this. It goes against Apple's entire UI and design philosophy. Things need to be simple, easy, and have definite feedback to the end user. Trackpad clicking is still not very widespread, and has no response to tell the user they've succeeded, other than what happens on screen. It's confusing if you don't expect it, and very easy to accidently trigger. For a company that added a speaker to a mouse to enhance the click noises, I'd be quite surprised if this happened. The entire-trackpad-as-a-mouse idea, well, that's more likely, since there's still feedback, but I'd be both surprised and disappointed if Apple ever did away with the button entirely.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Is it really that hard to put two fingers on the trackpad while you click? Just seems completely unnecessary to me...
Yeah, so an option wouldn't hurt you, would it?

Personally, I'd like to have an option to have the trackpad sense if I'm pressing the right side of the button or the left. I like two finger tapping, but I know people who don't and prefer a two-button trackpad. In that case I'd rather have one button that senses left and right, than three buttons, a wheel, a pencil eraser, and a whole lot of other gimmicky crap. It's a Mac after all.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Elektrix View Post
An 11" laptop with an X1600? "Won't happen" indeed...
Yeah, obviously those two won't happen together.

And that's also why I dislike the idea of an 11" MBP. It would be castrated in terms of performance in order to match size/weight constraints. I'd be very interested in a small and light MBP, but not so much if it comes at the expense of weak performance. I know however, that there are a few people who actually would like to see a small/light MB and are willing to sacrifice performance for that. I'd be surprised however to see those people pay more for such a Mac than a better performing 13" MB (which they of course would have to).

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 06:11 AM

I would prefer a second trackpad/mouse button, but it's not a huge deal to me either. And though it sounds silly, I would really like colors! I'm a little tired of black and white. I would like to experience one of these rumored LED lit screens and I wouldn't mind having a backlit keyboard in the least. I would prefer dedicated graphics (not anything fancy, just a low-end card) or at least beefed up GMA graphics.

I would love an eSATA (or a PC Card) port, but that seems even more unlikely than the dedicated graphics. I would like these things to run cooler (even my G3 runs pretty hot!), but that would probably be too big of a trade off in computing power, so it'd be more appropriate for a "lite" MacBook than for a full-fledged one.

Of course, I'm just talking about the 13.3" MacBook here. I would LOVE to see a Mac sub-notebook, but that's in its own category altogether.

rafalski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 08:07 AM

I want a 15.4" blackbook with 1400x900 resolution, matte screen. What I am sure I don't want, is the funny keyboard of the dated casing used in mb pros.

Faceplant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 09:59 AM

I want a snappier Macbook shaped like a clamshell.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2007, 03:05 PM

Wow this got a lot of response! I enjoyed reading everyones replies too.

I am surprised at how many people dislike track pad clicking! I love it, it seems so much sleeker, the 2 finger right click is a god send, and it is more Apple-esque IMO.

I forgot to add that a better GPU or a graphics card would be a nice addition, and NAND flash memory would be just awesome. However I wonder how expensive a 'Book would be...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2007, 08:54 AM

All of the above and under $1,000.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2007, 09:20 AM

I agree with numerous sizes but 11 inches seems too small. I like the idea of the keyboard havign a backlight since the MBP does have a backlight. I like the idea of improving the graphics but if they want this to be a "budget" laptop I doubt they will improve it.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 09:47 AM

-- Backlit keyboard
-- Better sound
-- Better video
-- 15.4" screen
-- 120 GB HD (standard)
-- 2 GB Memory (standard)
-- Keystroke combo CD/DVD eject

iMac 20"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by GatorsFan View Post
-- Backlit keyboard
-- Better sound
-- Better video
-- 15.4" screen
-- 120 GB HD (standard)
-- 2 GB Memory (standard)
-- Keystroke combo CD/DVD eject

So just buy a MacBook Pro if that's what you want...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 10:59 AM

I was gonna say the same.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 7, 2007 at 04:10 AM. )

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2007, 04:43 PM

I was gonna same the same.
You mean you was gonna 'say' the same? Lol, anyway, it would be better if they upped the overall spec of the Macbook, just a better graphics card would be sufficient, but having a Macbook Pro inside a Macbook, and then upgrading the MBP would be better... but I doubt that will happen.

Haddock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 05:59 PM

I would also like to see some improvement to the remote. Don't get me wrong, I love having it, but I find mine to be pretty unreliable most of the time.

My Macs: 128, 512, Plus, SE, SE/30, IIsi, IIci, PowerBook 100, Quadra 700, LC 475, Performa 630, Power Mac 7100, PowerBook G3 Lombard, iMac DV+, Power Mac G4 MDD, Ti PowerBook G4, 17" iMac G4, 12" PowerBook G4 1GHz, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, Mac mini G4 1.5GHz, 15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 13" MacBook (black), 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz with 20" ACD, 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz with 23" ACD.
Wow, Simon! I love macs too, I have since using the original back in primary school, but it's possible you have a bit of a problem.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
You mean you was gonna 'say' the same?
Hehe. Definitely not enough coffee. Now fixinated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Wow, Simon! I love macs too, I have since using the original back in primary school, but it's possible you have a bit of a problem.
Yeah, I do. My AP network is acting up.

No seriously, I'm fortunate enough to have enough money to buy new Macs every once in a while. And I tend to keep my old Macs around. One day I'll make a little basement museum with the collection.

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2007, 09:20 AM

I really do wish they could improve the mouse pad or bring back the sphere mouse (cf duo)
A few friends have Macbooks' and when I get to have a go I don;' seem to feel all that comfortable perhaps a skill management problem om my behalf needless to say those experiences make me feel wanting

What about about an interacting screen on top of the lid that you could use like a game pad: iGame

vitalprogeny
Mar 7, 2007, 01:41 PM

multi touch screen... thats all apple needs to make all their macs innovative and far more "different" than the majority of competitors

a lid that can rotate and close with either the screen facing up or down would be great with touch sensitivity

imagine being able to have an feature that when you use touch the icons, menus and such are adjusted for finger touch, and when you flip the lip back... u can continue use as normal with the normal keyboard... it shouldnt be too hard right? i mean... the iphone already runs os x 10.5 and has multi touch, power management and the apps are designed to work with touch, so if they can do it on such a small screen with such little power... why not with a bigger screen? longer battery life... more processing power... and the full OS?

plus simple games like "real time strategy" and "arcade" would be a blast to control like that

vitalprogeny
Mar 7, 2007, 01:44 PM

The touch screen would completely kill those "umpc's" if apple made a somewhat smaller form factor of the macbook (adjusting the dimensions)

morriso311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 01:56 PM

yea...apple would kill with a touch screen...flippin around??...haha!!!
White 13.3" MacBook 2.0GhZ
(Red) iPod Nano 4GB

vitalprogeny
Mar 7, 2007, 02:10 PM

well they cooouuld do it.. i mean its not like if it hasnt been atleast designed.. look at the sidekicks

morriso311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 02:15 PM

yea...i mean there are already pc laptops with the swivel and touch screen technology...i just think that would be soo bad azz
White 13.3" MacBook 2.0GhZ
(Red) iPod Nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules