Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whats up with new memory limit on new Macbook Pro???

Whats up with new memory limit on new Macbook Pro???
sjohnson4343
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2007, 04:45 PM

What changed between the old and new macbook pro? The intel processor is in the same family as my 2.33 Ghz 17inch macbook pro. So why does mine have a stated limit of 3 GB, and the new ones state 4GB? The Intel archetecture has not changed. I would fathom that the chipset is the same as well. Was there a software change allowing 4GB of addressable memory? I'm taking this as news that I can now run 4Gb in my macbook pro.

Does anyone know why the limit changed, even though the family of processor didn't?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2007, 05:02 PM

The support chipset seems to be very different-I've seen reports that the logic board is completely new for the new MBPs. That could be all the difference there is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Jun 7, 2007, 05:06 PM

Two different chipsets. You MBP has the Napa chipset (there is a technical number associated with it that I do not know off hand) and the new ones contain the Santa Rosa chipset. The Napa allowed for 3Gb max and the Santa Rosa allows 4Gb.

If you look through some of the threads, you will find an abunance of information on the differences between the two chipsets.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2007, 05:27 PM

That's still weird. I wonder why there was a 3GB limit in the first place, considering they'd expect people to pair memory anyway.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Two different chipsets. You MBP has the Napa chipset (there is a technical number associated with it that I do not know off hand) and the new ones contain the Santa Rosa chipset. The Napa allowed for 3Gb max and the Santa Rosa allows 4Gb.
<pedant>The old MBP had Calistoga (945PM chipset), not Napa; Napa is a platform that includes Intel wifi (Apple uses Atheros).
The new MBP has Crestline (965PM chipset), not Santa Rosa; Santa Rosa is also a platform that includes Intel wifi.</pedant>

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
That's still weird. I wonder why there was a 3GB limit in the first place, considering they'd expect people to pair memory anyway.
The 3GB limit in your MBP is an addressing limitation; the chipset supports 4GB physical RAM, but some of the logical address space is used for other things (PCI something).

Rumor
Jun 7, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
<pedant>The old MBP had Calistoga (945PM chipset), not Napa; Napa is a platform that includes Intel wifi (Apple uses Atheros).
The new MBP has Crestline (965PM chipset), not Santa Rosa; Santa Rosa is also a platform that includes Intel wifi.</pedant>

The 3GB limit in your MBP is an addressing limitation; the chipset supports 4GB physical RAM, but some of the logical address space is used for other things (PCI something).
Thanks for clearing that up. I was close, sort of.

sjohnson4343  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 08:47 PM

that's too bad. It really pisses me off that I had no idea of a new model and I bought this older chipset. I do rendering and heavy CPU/Memory tasks. That's why I bought a macbook pro in the first place. Now I'm stuck with a slower system. 4Gb of ram is almost a requirement and I thought that this system would adequately use 4Gb in the first place, but I guess not..... Anybody want a 48 day old MBP for 2k? :-(
( Last edited by sjohnson4343; Jun 8, 2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: none)

Rumor
Jun 8, 2007, 08:59 PM

If you are serious about selling it, post here.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by sjohnson4343 View Post
that's too bad. It really pisses me off that I had no idea of a new model and I bought this older chipset. I do rendering and heavy CPU/Memory tasks. That's why I bought a macbook pro in the first place. Now I'm stuck with a slower system. 4Gb of ram is almost a requirement and I thought that this system would adequately use 4Gb in the first place, but I guess not..... Anybody want a 48 day old MBP for 2k? :-(
The end of May was widely publicized as the release date for updated Santa Rosa platform notebooks for months and months...... and as a result, people had a pretty good sense that MBP's would be updated to the new platform around this time too (and it was very close, coming out June 5th, in fact beating many other competitors to actually having these machines on the market and available for sale).

-Elektrix

Forum Links
Forum Rules