Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Running BOINC from a memory stick

Running BOINC from a memory stick
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2010, 07:55 PM

Here's the problem...the idiot in charge of government computers has decided to take away admin privileges from all users except the IT techs. Allegedly to solve security problems, such as the IRS agent who took his laptop home, had it stolen and compromised several hundred thousand people. ...but what can you expect of a political appointee. If he/she had any brains, he/she would have a real job.

Sorry - rant over... What I'd like to do is be able to put the BOINC and SETI apps on a thumb drive (memory stick) and run it from there. I have a 2GB stick handy, but could get a larger if needed. I don't want to boot from the memory stick, just have the app there and run it from there. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks,
beadman

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2010, 09:26 PM

The problem is you need admin privileges to install BOINC in the first place.

beadman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2010, 10:03 AM

I have admin privileges on another mac. Can I install BOINC on a stick with that Mac, then run it on the one with the standard privileges?

beadman

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 29, 2010, 11:08 PM

I have successfully run apps from a disc image, CD and network volume, so I don't see why not. But that was with admin accounts, If I recall BOINC only writes a preferences file and a data folder. But it all depends on where it writes to.
I just tried to install BOINC onto a memory stick, installer wouldn't let me install it on a non bootable volume.
( Last edited by macaddict0001; May 29, 2010 at 11:17 PM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2010, 11:29 AM

Try to get a job as an IT Tech. Problem solved.

Penguirl
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2010, 12:20 AM

The government has Macs? Good for them, and here I thought they were exclusively Windows.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 08:02 PM

Hey, wait, I wonder if the command line client has the same restrictions, I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.

beadman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2010, 10:22 AM

macaddict0001: Did you try running the command line version from a memory stick?

Penguirl: my particular group has mostly scientists and engineers and we have slightly overr 50% Macs

beadman

Forum Links
Forum Rules