Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Review: CopyWrite writing software

Review: CopyWrite writing software
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2004, 04:53 PM

http://reviews.macnn.com/review.php?id=53

CopyWrite isn't quite a word processor.

It isn't quite a notepad application like textedit either.

Instead, it's a way of writing. CopyWrite keeps different versions of a document, keeps notes on a document or project, and not lose data... Ever.

It saves with each keystroke, so that should the computer crash, application crash, or some other rarity, nothing is lost.

In fact, I prefer to compose in it, solely for that reason. It keeps all documents listed in a Binder drawer that hangs off to the left side of the interface. I can place the chapters of a book project in the Binder drawer and then proceed to write each chapter, and different versions of each chapter, taking notes in a separate drawer on the chapter, and have it all saved and waiting for me, no matter what may happen.

Then I'll take it to my favorite word processor and format it and apply styles to the text.

In it's newest version, it has version management which freezes all but the current version. If you please, you can freeze the current version and revert to any previous version, or create as many new versions as necessary. It has find, replace, bold, underline, and delete tools, as well as a link feature for creating links to web pages or html files stored on the hard drive. It does not allow you however, to link to other text files created with CopyWrite, or link within a CopyWrite document.

Read more at http://reviews.macnn.com/review.php?id=53
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
Instead, it's a way of writing. CopyWrite keeps different versions of a document, keeps notes on a document or project, and not lose data... Ever.
How does it deal with something like a hard disk crash? Does it back up your documents to an external server?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
How does it deal with something like a hard disk crash? Does it back up your documents to an external server?
It encrypts them and stores them in the Ether.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 05:23 PM

Very cool, thanks.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
It encrypts them and stores them in the Ether.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Sorry, just a dumb joke. I was referring to the metaphysical substance that's supposed to exist in the spaces between things.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules