Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Saga of Visual Voicemail

The Saga of Visual Voicemail
andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2018, 01:08 PM

With my new phone, I switched to the service my husband was using, Net10 wireless. He seemed to have excellent service even in remote areas. Much better than Virgin Mobile. They assured him their service was compatible with iPhone, and recommended he buy an ATT chip with a "bring your own" phone.

So I go to set up my voicemail, and am dismayed to discover that the voicemail section is missing, with just a button to "call voice mail." I'm prompted to enter a pin and outgoing message, press # etc. It's flip-phone technology. My spouse is confused by my dismay, turns out he's never even heard of visual voice mail, on his android phone. Don't all smart phones do this?

It turns out Net10 is owned by trakfone, same as Straighttalk. Which would be fine, because on the apple page that lists providers, it shows that trakfone supports visual voice mail. ATT supports visual voice mail. Several calls to customer service later, 10 clueless reps later, it seems that they called ATT who told them... iphone8 was not yet supported?

What? Is that even a thing? Pretty sure if I walked into an ATT store and bought an iphone, all the features would work.

Options: Try a Verizon chip, or wait until ATT/Net10 make an update... til then, I'll be calling voice mail like it's 1998.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2018, 10:40 PM

I gained Visual Voice mail when I went to the iPhone from the Dare, but lost One Number Service. (Verizon-Qwest/CenturyLink) That was 4S. I haven’t called to see if they have resolved the issue of visual voice mail not being compatible with One Number Service.
45/47

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 19, 2018, 04:19 PM

That's a long time for them not to resolve the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules