Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Toronto : I'm here now for a few days. Meetup/advice on what to see?

Toronto : I'm here now for a few days. Meetup/advice on what to see?
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2006, 01:05 PM

So, I arrived in what appears to be a very split-pea-soup foggy day.

I'm here til Friday at night. My days are wide open.

Who's got advice?

I'm thinking Royal Ontario Museum, and other than that, not sure.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:29 PM

Yup it is very foggy today which is sorta cool and unusual.

I guess you can do the usual tourist stuff which is still fun.

For shopping, go to the Eaton Centre and Queen street between University and Spadina.

Also go up the CN tower and you can even have dinner there which is surprisingly pretty good. (don't go on foggy day like today though).

You can also go to Centre Island for a nice walk and view. It is a short and cheap ferry ride and easy to get to. Just go on a warmer brighter day.

Take the subway as it is super safe, fast.

Cabs in Toronto are expensive.

If you want to go to a movie to to Paramount theatre down by Queen as it is pretty rockin'.

Have fun!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:40 PM

I thought the cabs in Toronto were very reasonable, maybe you've never been in a cab in Chicago.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I thought the cabs in Toronto were very reasonable, maybe you've never been in a cab in Chicago.
I consider them high compared to NY but that is all I have to compare it to.

Either way the subway/streetcar/bus got the important stuff covered and since it is only $2.75 (or less) plus fast and safe I never really need a cab anyway.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2006, 01:47 PM

cab from airport to downtown was 55 CAD.

I'm near eaton. Tomorrow I will need to get to sherway gardens and on friday yorkdale.

Public transportation is a possibility?

(three guesses as to why those locations... anyone? anyone?)

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
cab from airport to downtown was 55 CAD.

I'm near eaton. Tomorrow I will need to get to sherway gardens and on friday yorkdale.

Public transportation is a possibility?

(three guesses as to why those locations... anyone? anyone?)
3 Apple stores.

Anywho, skip sherway, it is really far west and taking the subway is a pain as you also have to take a bus. If you take a cab it is really close to the airport so it will cost you. On top of that the mall is blaa.

If anything to to Eaton Centre next as it is really close, good mall and best Applestore. You can probibly walk from your hotel in minutes (as well as queen street, the theatre and CN tower).

Yorkdale is super easy and fast to get to by subway (just go to yorkdale subway) and it is a pretty nice mall. The Apple store there was the first one in Canada and much smaller than the Eaton Centre one.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
3 Apple stores.

Anywho, skip sherway, it is really far west and taking the subway is a pain as you also have to take a bus. If you take a cab it is really close to the airport so it will cost you. On top of that the mall is blaa.

If anything to to Eaton Centre next as it is really close, good mall and best Applestore. You can probibly walk from your hotel in minutes (as well as queen street, the theatre and CN tower).

Yorkdale is super easy and fast to get to by subway (just go to yorkdale subway) and it is a pretty nice mall. The Apple store there was the first one in Canada and much smaller than the Eaton Centre one.
I can't afford to skip Sherway, I've got to hit all three. But I'm staying in the Eaton area so it's not bad.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2006, 02:48 PM

I found the subway to be amazingly clean and efficient-I was expecting something like old movies of the New York system.

DO see the CN Tower, and if you have the time, go see the Ontario Science Centre in North York. It's really cool.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I can't afford to skip Sherway, I've got to hit all three. But I'm staying in the Eaton area so it's not bad.
Ok unless you got $50 each way for a cab take the subway to the end of the line west and then you can decide if you want to catch the 15 min bus ride the rest of the way or grab a cab at that point.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I found the subway to be amazingly clean and efficient-I was expecting something like old movies of the New York system.
Ya there is ZERO graffiti, no gangs, no trash laying about and it is just as safe at 1am as it is at noon.

I ride the subway every day my whole life and I have never even seen a crime being committed on it.

Also there are no special express trains to worry about. Trains all stop at every stop and come every 2-5 min.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 05:31 PM

The subway rocks. So do the streetcars. I take the streetcar to and from work every day, same thing, safe and clean.

Queen West is nice, as DH already said, but I'd go further west than just Spadina. If you like good Italian food walk on Queen West until you hit Manning Avenue, then keep an eye open for a restaurant called Terroni on the north side of the street. It's 720 Queen Street West. Good food at a reasonable price.

If you like oysters walk on further and check out either the Oyster Boy, just after Trinity Bellwood Park five minutes walk from Terroni or go to The Swan, one minute walk from Oyster Boy. All are on the north side of Queen Street West. It's a nice walk from the Eaton Centre and you can't get lost, it's just a straight walk.

Map link

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 05:48 PM

Instead of Google maps try using this as it will make things easier:

Virtual City - Toronto

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 06:30 PM

If you are going to see the 3 Apple stores, you should also visit Carbon Computing. It's a great store with a focus on audio and video solutions. They also run more serious courses on things like Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, etc (not like you have the time).

carbon computing

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 06:45 PM

The most interesting Apple Store is in the Eaton Centre. Yorkdale's is much smaller, but the mall itself is quite nice. I'm not entirely sure why you want to spend your time in the malls though. Catch a show or something near the Eaton Centre. There are several on right now, and you might be able to get rush tickets.

Also, I may be weird, but I actually liked the Bata Shoe Museum.

Take a walk down Queen Street too, from the Eaton Centre down to Spadina, or even further west.

P.S. If you like eating out, tell us what kind of food you like and we can direct you. If you're into high end stuff, my favourite restaurant in North America is Susur in Toronto. It might just be a little to pricey though... You're looking at about $200 with wine.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 07:33 PM

I suggest you stroll down Church Street. Gay or not it's a great place to be!

finboy
Nov 8, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

DO see the CN Tower, and if you have the time, go see the Ontario Science Centre in North York. It's really cool.
Yeah, the tower is cool, and we ate some Greek food that was unbelievable (had to take the subway).

Another neat activity: drive to Niagara Falls. If you've never seen it, it's worth the few bucks. We rented a car and had an afternoon on the Canadian side. Not sure why anyone would want to see the US side.

Atomic Rooster
Nov 8, 2006, 07:50 PM

Or you could stroll down to Yorkville. You might see a celebrity or even K-Fed. That's where they all shop and stuffs.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Also, I may be weird, but I actually liked the Bata Shoe Museum.
A friend of mine has a show on at the Bata right now. It's a great place.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Instead of Google maps try using this as it will make things easier:

Virtual City - Toronto

Pretty cool.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 08:54 PM

Do you like exploring new kinds of eating vmarks? Tons of restaurant options...

ambush
Banned
Nov 8, 2006, 08:56 PM

Montreal owns Ronto in the fun dept.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 10:07 PM

I was in Toronto in April, and my wife and I had a blast. We stayed right down by Eaton at the Metropolitan. We took the subway (fast and very cheap), did a LOT of shopping, didn't see the Apple store (doh). On the way back to Michigan, we hit up Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. I agree with what is posted above about skipping the US side. Candian side is much better.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ambush View Post
Montreal owns Ronto in the fun dept.
It definitely gives it a run for the money in that dept, but Toronto owns Montreal in the restaurant dept.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 10:25 PM

I was amazed by the subway system in Toronto when I visited. I'd never rode a subway before and it was really nice and easy to figure out. The directions I got were awful, should have gotten them e-mailed and but i was fine. I did have some guy keep looking at me when I was going to get picked up by my friend. At first I thought he might be casing me out to mug cause I'd been told crazy stuff by paranoid evil people who had no clue that by the feel of things crime is not any worse than Winnipeg there, then I thought he might be checking me out cause he was interested, then I realized he was probably just wondering why I had a huge suitcase on the subway.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It definitely gives it a run for the money in that dept, but Toronto owns Montreal in the restaurant dept.
Agreed. I like Montreal, a lot, but for quality and variety of restaurants it is not even close.

Forum Links
Forum Rules