Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > high school-any suggestions for surviving?

high school-any suggestions for surviving?
vault86
Forum Regular
Location: Vermont(the biggest and most interesting state in the country)
Oct 29, 2002, 09:27 AM

hey, people. anyone got any ways i can be a good slacker? or, anyone think i'm an idiot for posting this? i'm just trying to get through it, you know?

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by vault86:
hey, people. anyone got any ways i can be a good slacker? or, anyone think i'm an idiot for posting this? i'm just trying to get through it, you know?
Learning to be a "good slacker" now is just setting the stage for the rest of your life. Believe me, it is a tough habit to break later on.

Plaides
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 09:49 AM

high school bl0wz just do well for 4 years and you will be set...
~plaid...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 09:50 AM

study groups, oh how I loved them, not only was it time to socialize but most of the time other people did your homerwork for you.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 09:54 AM

Get a fun job. That is how I got through the torture. It gave me something to look forward to at the end of the day.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:
Get a fun job. That is how I got through the torture. It gave me something to look forward to at the end of the day.
i am starting working in November...at a computer store that sells macs!!!

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2002, 11:16 AM

igh school-any suggestions for surviving?
Don't feed the trolls. (This applies here too).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 12:39 PM

Don't worry about being popular and whatnot. Just find a group of people that you feel comfortable with and be good friends with them. I think it's more important to have a few good friends than a lot of not-so-good ones.

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 12:43 PM

oh, man, i like the input i'm getting so far. please, keep it up! thanx.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2002, 12:46 PM

Smoke a spliff before your first class. Then, if you have oportunity, smoke another inbetween classes. Then, when classes are over, smoke more. Everything will be fine.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 12:51 PM

Did someone chime in yet with "graduate"? No. Okay then.

Graduate.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 12:54 PM

Ya, I got stoned out of my mind every morning from about 10th grade on. once I got honorably discharged back into the real world, I gave it up, as I had trouble functioning. But for school, it did the trick.

Note: This is intended ironically. While I was an irredeemable pothead in my youth, I certainly don't want to be constued as advocating spending your "Best Years" in a drug-addled stupor.

Just hunker down and try to remember that it has nothing to do with reality, and they can't keep you encarcerated past the age of 18.

Alternately, get a guitar. It'll distract you sufficiently, and when you finally look up, you'll be an adult, and high school will have been over for several years.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2002, 01:00 PM

Ok, as the resident slacker I feel I need to speak up, ahem, here goes.

I dicked off in HS, partied most of the time, skipped class, didn't do HW, barely did projects. But I pulled straight C's mostly. There were classes here and there that I kinda tried and got A's, but those were few and far between.

Now comes Graduation time and college acceptance letters. DENIED! Damn, seems my slacking didn't pay off, like it would right? So I sign in to a community college and live at home for a whole year while my friends are at their colleges getting drunk and f-ing chicks. Hrm, this sucks. So I worked my ass off for once and got all A's and B's. Got into the college I most wanted to, and now I am happy in my quad room living with 3 frat boys.

So what is this rambling BS about? Just do good enough to get into college (if thats what you want).

Oh yeah, and go to as many parties as you can

I still slack, don't get me wrong. Once a slacker always a slacker, its sad but at this point its almost part of me, I really have to force myself not to slack sometimes.

And at least attempt to fit in, I moved from the city to this small town for my Freshman year of HS, yeah that was real fun. But I kept at it and soon I knew just about everyone in my class. Just give it hell and be yourself. Not the most fun years of your life by far, but at least make the most of it.

Play a sport too.

That is all.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 01:58 PM

I'm going to be totally honest:

I used to pretend to be dumb as a rock... then when I went to 50% effort... Teacher percieved it as 110%... Hence an A.

Side Effect was others thought I was pretty dumb as well...

It was fun every once in a while to prove people wrong.

I remember a few kids (a year or two younger than me) thought I was dumb as a a drug abusing box of rocks. I took a few broken computers and made one working Mac... It was in a PC case, with flashing lights, and about 10 Fans (one on the front of the case, which was pretty cool)... It was a funny looking system... and it worked....

Boy the look on their face when they realized I did that...

And the look on their face when the beloved Smily Mac came up.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 03:10 PM

just remember the idiots will always be idiots. They will grow up to be used car salespeople and live a few blocks away from their parents. Looking back, I wished I had teachers who actually cared about teaching.

I agree, HS is not reality. you are dumped into a bunch of people you would NEVER hang out with otherwise.

My suggestion is to look forward to college. Those will be the best time of your life because it's an awakening from the nightmare ofHS.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
just remember the idiots will always be idiots. They will grow up to be used car salespeople and live a few blocks away from their parents. Looking back, I wished I had teachers who actually cared about teaching.

I agree, HS is not reality. you are dumped into a bunch of people you would NEVER hang out with otherwise.

My suggestion is to look forward to college. Those will be the best time of your life because it's an awakening from the nightmare ofHS.

What happened to all of you in HS that made you so dammed bitter? I don't see how it was any different from Jr. High or anything else. Apparently you had a rough adolecense and got picked on a lot because I can't think of anything else that would taint those years so negatively. I'm sorry you let others effect your time there so badly that it ruined the experience.
College only changes because you don't live under your parents roof so you have more freedom AND because all the social groups finally divide up so far apart that the people you don't like and don't like you aren't at the same bars. College is more unrealistic to life than HS is. You have minimal responsibilities, no one looking over your shoulder, and someone else is paying most of your way. Life isn't like that.

Life is full of people who you won't like. You'll find them at work and through any social interaction. You'll never be free of people who you won't like. Just learn to deal with them.
I had fun in highschool. I had more fun in college. I have fun now. If you are having a bad time in HS now then figure out why and change it. There's no reason to be one of these people who looks back and hates 4 years of their lives, that's a waste of time.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Oct 29, 2002, 06:03 PM

Best things to do in high school:

1. Get involved and join lots of fun clubs. You will meet a ton of people, and everyone will know who you are. This helps tremendously - like when you need a date to prom or something.

2. Take challenging classes you enjoy. You won't get bored or feel the need to be a slacker.

3. Find one teacher you really trust. This will help when you get caught skipping class and need an alibi or a pass. It's also nice if you don't have off-campus lunch privledges and want to sneek away for a Big Mac.

4. Go to at least a few sporting events....even if you hate them. You might find an interest you never knew you had. This pertains especially to stuff that spectators usually avoid - golf, tennis, cross country - because then the people who are playing will think you are super cool for coming.

5. Find a cool hang out. My friends and I always studied at Barnes and Noble. It was fun to meet outside of school and talk, but still accomplish stuff at the same time.

Good luck with school - that was one of the best times I ever had.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 06:08 PM

Video production got me through HS, it was so fun. And fun to lookforword to.

Join a Video club, or computer club.

-owl

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

What happened to all of you in HS that made you so dammed bitter? I don't see how it was any different from Jr. High or anything else. Apparently you had a rough adolecense and got picked on a lot because I can't think of anything else that would taint those years so negatively. I'm sorry you let others effect your time there so badly that it ruined the experience.
College only changes because you don't live under your parents roof so you have more freedom AND because all the social groups finally divide up so far apart that the people you don't like and don't like you aren't at the same bars. College is more unrealistic to life than HS is. You have minimal responsibilities, no one looking over your shoulder, and someone else is paying most of your way. Life isn't like that.

Life is full of people who you won't like. You'll find them at work and through any social interaction. You'll never be free of people who you won't like. Just learn to deal with them.
I had fun in highschool. I had more fun in college. I have fun now. If you are having a bad time in HS now then figure out why and change it. There's no reason to be one of these people who looks back and hates 4 years of their lives, that's a waste of time.
I don't know...I don't hate those years (20 years ago)...they were just wasted time and I don't think of those years that much. It just came full circle when during my 10th year reunion, I saw what they became....nothing worthy but a nice laugh

If it means anything, I was voted best artist of my class...so I don't know where that puts me in terms of the social ladder.

Oh and I paid for my tuition...lucky you

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 29, 2002, 06:39 PM

do you self a favor and get into the AP classes.. ghenerally thay are actually easier have less busy work and the students ten dot share answers more. plus you get A's and B's on a 5.0 sclae while everyone else is on the 4.0 scale... so a B in AP = A in normal. next remmber last minute panic makes for good inspiration, use it carefully. if it seems like busywork it probably is, just get something on thwe paper, as most teachers won't look pver it well. find at least 1 or 2 classe3s you enjoy, be it tech, auto, metalshop, girls pe, etc. just do your thing and get out. remember High school, is basicly just a large collegiate rat race

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2002, 06:45 PM

Drop out and get your diploma through the State.

I didn't like high school. I didn't like school in general, really. I survived with thousands of Haitians that didn't speak a lick of English for years. It was not fun.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 06:57 PM

Best time of your life, enjoy it.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Oct 29, 2002, 07:06 PM

i was a slacker and a hacker dont mix i got expelled.

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 07:08 PM

it seems like half of every year of HS is just a review of what u r supposed to have learned last year. no challenge, just boring ****.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by MrBenn:
Smoke a spliff before your first class. Then, if you have oportunity, smoke another inbetween classes. Then, when classes are over, smoke more. Everything will be fine.
Also parties can be extremely fun with the right people.
Be careful if you bring a camera or other expensive item.
I once had my freaking glasses stolen...

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 07:39 PM

Skip highschool. I mean really. Make sure you are smart enough to test into a Jr. College (and they accept just about everybody) and take college classes. If you take the right ones, you can graduate from HS and have an Associates Of Art degree too boot. You can go to college from the age 16 on (Jr. Year) and the college life is way better than the highschool life. None of the stupid popularity bs and crappy teachers who don't care anymore, and moronically easy classes, and retards dragging down the average, and rude *******s, and bitchy chicks, and dopers who you know are going to get kicked out to deal with, and people who only like you because you are like 40x smarter than they are... am I sending some sort of message here?

Highschool is NOT reality. The contrast is bizzare and striking as soon as you go to college. It will be like cold water on a hot day... soo refreshing.

God I hated highschool. And I wasn't even unpopular or anything. It was just a huge waste of time. The only valuable things I learned were programming logic and Calculus. Oh, and how to weld. That was the bitchenest class I've ever taken.

usedmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2002, 09:35 PM

It all depends on what kind of high school you go to; public, private, big, small, etc. Some general advice is don't get too high, don't get too stoned, don't get too wasted, etc. This is important especially if you play sports like I do. If you show up to practice and you're wasted, BAM!, you're off the team. I give every class about a 60% effort and I pull a 3.5. I always tell myself to try more but I just can't get myself to do it.

If you have overprotective parents, the next 4 years will not be very fun. Example, my dad won't let me go to the soccer game tonight, why? Because "you have too much homework," uh ya whatever.

Don't act like you're smarter than everyone else, that's a good way to get labeled a loser and have everyone hate you. Just be nice to everyone and have fun. I love high school.
-THIS SPACE FOR RENT-

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Skip highschool. I mean really. Make sure you are smart enough to test into a Jr. College (and they accept just about everybody) and take college classes. If you take the right ones, you can graduate from HS and have an Associates Of Art degree too boot. You can go to college from the age 16 on (Jr. Year) and the college life is way better than the highschool life. None of the stupid popularity bs and crappy teachers who don't care anymore, and moronically easy classes, and retards dragging down the average, and rude *******s, and bitchy chicks, and dopers who you know are going to get kicked out to deal with, and people who only like you because you are like 40x smarter than they are... am I sending some sort of message here?

Highschool is NOT reality. The contrast is bizzare and striking as soon as you go to college. It will be like cold water on a hot day... soo refreshing.

God I hated highschool. And I wasn't even unpopular or anything. It was just a huge waste of time. The only valuable things I learned were programming logic and Calculus. Oh, and how to weld. That was the bitchenest class I've ever taken.
yeah, i mean, i am taking AP classes, and i'm a sophomore. i was part of John Hopkin's CTY, and I got a 1320 on the SAT's. Oh, and i am going to get my java certification this year too. and i would like to go to college early, cuz i already have 3 AP classes under my belt, plpus the ones this year, but i still got a couple of classes i feel i should take before going to college(i.e, french, chem). but, what should i do about actually getting into a college in my jr. year? i mean, how do i go about it???
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 10:57 PM

Well, this is funny. There seems to be a lot of people here that were bored in high school, and found post-secondary education to be some soft of awakening. I'm finding my university years to be absolutely, mind-numbing, skull-splitting useless. Out of ten classes in a year, I find about 2 or 3 to be actually worth my time. It's amazing how the instructors still have to dumb-down the lessons for their "students." I'm left rolling my eyes, staring at the walls and being very anti-social in these classes. Um, anyways�

vault86, there's a lot of good advice in this thread: have fun, meet people, don't worry about life, etc. You'll be fine.

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2002, 11:04 PM

Be confident.

If you can't be confident, fake it.

No one will be able to tell the difference.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 11:58 PM

AP classes are a good idea. I had a butt load coming out of HS, so I'll be graduating college a year early. The $25,000 tuition savings were well worth the cost of a half dozen AP tests at $75 each!

Join Speech & Debate. It's a good challenge, and you'll meet lots of, um, interesting people. It's also a good sort of thing to list on college applications. It's also wonderful for helping with "real life" skills. With S&D, you'll help your research and organization skills, and you'll never be afraid to talk in front of a group of people for any reason. Nothing helps your timed essay writing (for classes, tests, etc) more than having practice at writing a coherent 7-minute rebuttal with 2 minutes of prep time! Oh, the and trophies are good, too.

Finally, raise your hand in class whenever possible. Don't be shy. This will usually assure your teachers that you're listening and know what you're talking about. Then, they're pretty likely to give you the benefit of the doubt when grading your assignments. They'll also be more likely to bump up your grade if you're right on the border between an A/B or B/C.

Have fun, and don't hurt yourself!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by ironknee:

I feel exactly the same way.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 12:37 AM

Another of my two cents:

So far, every single thing that's been 'taught' in high school to me, so far, was a great repetition of what was taught several years before.

In essence: The school is focusing on the people who are behind, not those who are ahead.

It's hard NOT to get angry at the teacher because they give you work that you finish 40 minutes before the rest of the class does! What does this mean? I complain, kids find out I'm 40x smarter, and basically learn to hate me, talk bad about me, etc.

I actually feel bad when I go to school because almost EVERYBODY, including the staff, at times, has something bad to tell me.

The saddest part yet is if I try to eliminate the problem, it only gets worse.

In general, according to the school it's not a problem with the school, but a problem with me

How the hell am I supposed to ignore the fact that about 1000 students would rather see me somewhere else? How can I deny their remorse when they here that I'm fighting the district to get into a college?

It only looks worse because with all the negative impacts, and the fact that in the state of CA, you are not graded by how well you learn what was taught, but how much work you do (these schools are literally factories). I recall once being asked by a teacher if I had nothing to do because she wanted to give me another set of handouts (about 3 grade levels lower than what I was experienced in), JUST to give me more work.

What makes me even more furious, is even though I'm young, this is wasting my time! All the fighting, the discussions, the time I could be using to actually LEARN, is spent sitting in various classrooms, fighting back the social problems involved with being a nerd, and essentially, getting portrayed as the total opposite.

It's funny that JUST now all of my teachers have FINALLY understood that I don't give the slightest damn about 'learning' the same thing for the 3rd year over. They realize my report card shows failing grades not because I am not capable of passing, but because I could care less, and they realize that I've tried several times to get into colleges, which actually let me in, but thanks to the lack of the school district's concern for MY education, I was kicked out.

It gets very frusterating and infuriating because not only am I being held back because 'he's only 15', but the fact that classes are taught to the lowest common denominator (Hint: the stupidest kid learns the most), instead of each person getting what they need.

So what happens? People like me become failures, and have to spend scores of hours cleaning up a mess, while at the same time the class clown gets a lesson he'll never forget because he keeps holding the class back.

Allow me to elaborate: IN our english class, we are approximately 3 months behind schedule, in our math class, thanks to the administration, we are about a month behind schedule, and in our science class, just recently we finished chapter 1.

What gets even worse is this: What is there to motivate me, why should I wake up every morning and waste all my time with a headache like this? I ask the staff, I ask the administration, they can't come up with an answer... When I ask why I should spend 3 more years of my life being harassed, held back, and have absolutely no motivation to go, BUT STILL GO, they tell me to just do it and shut up.

So anyway, I was essentially screwed out of 6 months of my life because I'm not old enough to take college classes without the school's permission.

Worse yet, the past 3 years have left a large blank spot in my life and I'm the only person who's teaching MYSELF right now, think of what I could have been doing with that time!!!!

I could be in a university by now and be pushing my way towards a nice degree, but am I? No, I'm at the same exact position as some big stupid idiot with an iq of 2 who is popular 'cuz i play basketball, know wha 'm sayin?'
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 03:22 AM

Learn how to cram early on. Studies have shown that the more you do it, the better you become at it. Don't listen to people who tell you that it will get you nowhere. I graduated from Brown doing it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Coyote IX9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2002, 03:30 AM

You should play football. High school is all about screwing the most chicks, and the best way to do this is to play football. Even the bench warmers get to bang hot chicks.

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2002, 04:06 AM

It's like prison. Kick someone's ass on the first day. No reason, pick someone and go for it. That way you won't be picked on for the next six years. That's how I got through it.

But on a more serious note. Take lots of math. You'll have to do it in college anyway. Let the state pay for all the algebra classes. Also, keep your math notes and homework. That way you have a good study guide if you have to take a math placement test in college.
Yeah, Jesus saves! Gretzky scores! The workers slave. The rich get more.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Coyote IX9:
You should play football. High school is all about screwing the most chicks, and the best way to do this is to play football. Even the bench warmers get to bang hot chicks.
Best. New Member. Ever.

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2002, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:

Best. New Member. Ever.
If you aren't built for football you should get good at math. You can bang just as many chicks for letting them cheat off you.

I had a GF in high school who was horrible at math. I made her flash cards, her parents caught us using the flash cards. Her mom washed my pants one day and found condoms. She didn't care as long as her daughter learned algebra.

Math = Sex
Yeah, Jesus saves! Gretzky scores! The workers slave. The rich get more.

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Siddhartha:

If you aren't built for football you should get good at math. You can bang just as many chicks for letting them cheat off you.

I had a GF in high school who was horrible at math. I made her flash cards, her parents caught us using the flash cards. Her mom washed my pants one day and found condoms. She didn't care as long as her daughter learned algebra.

Math = Sex
i love these posts.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 06:00 PM

1. Work hard
2. Be respectful
3. Make friends
4. I don't really have any good ideas, I'm just posting this because I want to be a Veteran Member!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Coyote IX9:

Football, ugh. Morons play football. Learn to play lacrosse its better for you from an aerobic standpoint and not gay like soccer. Plus who can't respect a guy who's sport is about enduring body checks and being hit with metal sticks. I, not one the football players, got to date the Pom captain.

But he's on to something, if you want to enjoy HS: date a hot girl. Lots of sex with an attractive girl will make those years fly by.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Oct 30, 2002 at 08:33 PM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Well, I agree with that. High school is a reality unto itself.

I say keep your grades as high as possible. It will give you power AND options.

Power in that it will keep most people off your back. Most parents are reluctant to get on a kid (if that's a problem in your family or not) as long as they have exceptional grades. Your likely to have more leeway to make decisions because they see you acting in a 'responsible' manner. That can be real refreshing if you feel the need to be more independent.

Options...well, I need an analogy for that. You've heard that money doesn't buy happiness? Well, it's true. It doesn't buy happiness but it does give you options and that's more important. Having options give you control over where the next step of your life is going. Nothing's worse than having your back against the wall. Good grades are options. The option to go to whatever school you want, the option to take time off without it hurting your chance to get in to college.

It can be work but it's worth the effort. Plus, it'll never be easier than it is in high school.

Plus, remember that as you grow older a portion of you will always feel like a kid. It's easy to think that by the time you're 30 or 40 that you'll be a wiser, more intelligent, better adjusted person. That's true...to a point. But you'd be amazed how you can still feel like you're an 18 year-old kid. I still feel it and see it in people who are 70, 80, 90 years old. I wish someone had told me that when I was in high school.

usedmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 07:55 PM

OK, don't play football. Our football team has sword fights in the locker room. Ya *that* kind of sword fight. Play soccer, soccer chicks are hot and they like soccer guys (at least they do here).

Fake an accent for all 4 years. Pretend like you're foreign, chicks dig the accent. English, German, etc., it doesn't matter.

I assume you like computers so take computer classes and if you go to a public school take IB or AP or at least Honors classes.

My other post has more stuff too, so read it.
-THIS SPACE FOR RENT-

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 10:32 PM

Enjoy High School then realize in 4 years how insignificant the things you worried about really were and how much simpler life was. Also realize that you'll have a LOT of fun in college.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 11:42 PM

Jeez, it looks like I really got the proverbial short end of the stick in HS.
I'm too small/unathletic for football. I'm good at math, and helped girls, but never "got anything" in return for my efforts.
Maybe it's just me?

Coyote IX9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

Football, ugh. Morons play football.

Morons also bang hot chicks.

I mean, c'mon. When was the last time you heard of a Math nerd banging a good looking girl (not including those tall tales that people fabricate in computer forums)? Exactly. Play football, wear spandex, swing a skin sword in the shower or whatever, and reap your rewards.

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Jeez, it looks like I really got the proverbial short end of the stick in HS.
I'm too small/unathletic for football. I'm good at math, and helped girls, but never "got anything" in return for my efforts.
Maybe it's just me?
ouch, sorry, man, it's not you, it's them.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2002, 07:11 PM

Ha ha well high school was okay for me - I don't want this to degenerate into a "gay" thread but it's really quite interesting growing up in a heavily christian school being a homosexual! I mean I always knew I was different, not just that way, but like I just didn't see the point in sporting activities, they bored me to tears. Instead myself and a couple of friends would give certain teachers hell, whether it be obtaining their passwords or throwing candy into their hair when they were writing on the whiteboard

Then when I was in Year 10 (I was about 17) I came out as an experiment; I wanted to see whether teachers would approve or whether they would look down on it heavily. Turns out they were neutral. I never did cop much for being out at school, just the occasional jibe.

Mac Zealot, I know how frustrating it is. I've always thought exactly the same thing. Some of us are more gifted than others, and it's sad that the teaching standard has to meet the lowest common denominator; there's not much you can do unfortunately unless you want to be privately tutored. Good luck with whatever happens. If anything.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2002, 09:23 PM

man, i just got banned from using the school's windoze computers(what a relief) just because i accidentally put a floppy disk that just happened to have keylogger on it. WTF is that?! i mean, it wasn't my fault, right?
teachers suck, especially windoze admins.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Best time of your life, enjoy it.
You didn't go to college did you?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules