Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Most Overrated Rock Bands/Musicians

Most Overrated Rock Bands/Musicians (Page 2)
Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 04:21 PM

my overrated list:

U2, Led Zep, Doors, Sarah MacLachlan, Oasis.....if I had to single out one of those it would be Led Zep - tired, re-hashed blues riffs, very weak lyrics, irritating vocalist....John Paul Jones was their only redeeming factor.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 04:40 PM

Creed?

Oh wait i thought you said "most sh!tty vile ridiculous heinous buttrock band" - my mistake.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 05:04 PM

NIRVANA!
Kurt can blow me

oh ya, and Yorke's band is rubbish, so vote goes to Radiohead too.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 05:09 PM

Nickelback... it's amazing how much they suck.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Nickelback... it's amazing how much they suck.
Now Nickelcreek is much better.

Kurt Cobain's problem was he was always shooting his mouth off..... errrrr.
Sorry, bad joke. I think he was a genius.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Speckledstone:
In your opinion, what/who is the most overrated rock band/musician?
Easy: Bruce Springsteen. Just what is that all about?

<Takes cover>

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 05:51 PM

Isn't it all about personal taste? If you happen to like someones music an awful lot, for whatever reason, does it matter whether that musician is "overrated" or not?

Just because someone want to call Fred Durst a genius, does that mean we have to rain on his parade?

Well maybe a little...

Adopt-A-Yankee

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Speckledstone:
I�m sure many people would name the Beatles, the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin as most overrated.
Major problem with Led Zeppelin is that their personnel had the talent to be super-great. Well, in the eyes of many, they were.

But they are, in my opinion, gross underachievers. You get all that talent and you can only "improvise" on blues regimen, sounding like a louder version of any other metal band out there. Zep did show flashes of brilliance in their second album. I recommend it.

Regarding the Beatles or the Stones, heck, they are what they are. Ditto the Kinks, the Who, the Yardbirds, the Beach Boys, Van Halen, and tons of other successful mainstream bands out there. A case could be made for any of them.

My favorite bands: The Police, Cream, Genesis, Yes, Talking Heads, Creedence, Crosby-Stills-Nash, and the Rolling Stones.
AutoJC

Pure Democracy Is Collectivist Mob Rule-
Capitalism.org

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
Isn't it all about personal taste? If you happen to like someones music an awful lot, for whatever reason, does it matter whether that musician is "overrated" or not?

Just because someone want to call Fred Durst a genius, does that mean we have to rain on his parade?

Well maybe a little...
Inclined to agree. It's whatever floats one's boat.
AutoJC

Capitalism.org

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 19, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
my overrated list:
Led Zep,
You GOT to be joking. Hahahah

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Kurt Cobain's problem was he was always shooting his mouth off..... errrrr.

i personally don't get what the big deal is about Nirvana. they weren't that good, and they supposedly started the whole "depressing" rock genre, why would anyone want to praise someone who started that genre?

for most underrated, i will have to go with B�la Fleck and the Flecktones. awesome instrument players, awesome music, awesome everything. 'specially Victor Wooten. damn that cat can play bass.

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2004, 06:49 PM

OK, OK, OK, my overrated list is short and sweet.

At the top of my list is Jesus and Mary Chain, an alternative band popular in the early 90's. Noise that masquerades for talent.

And it's not talent that hides behind the masks of Kiss.

Black Sabbath was popular in the early 70's, every garage band back then tried to copy them. That's because they could all sing as badly as Ozzie Osborne, who's also on my overrated list.

Grand Funk was also popular copy material for high school garage bands. Mark Farner, however, could play, his Post-GF work is quite interesting. The band was a poor imitation of Cream.
AutoJC

Capitalism.org

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by philm:
Easy: Bruce Springsteen. Just what is that all about?

<Takes cover>
I'm with ya. Althought I'd say Bruce has done one or two things I think rather highly off. But in general, snooze-o-rama.

For me the question of most over-rated goes beyond bands that I don't think are any good who have achieved commericial success. Hell, commercial success isn't even rare any more. Mega-marketing and consolidation mean you can sing one song and sell platinum and be set for life.

For me, its more a question of the bands that are constantly lavished with praise and have some baffling untouchable status despite a total lack of ability or merit. And as their legend status grows, you become increasingly angry and confused why no one seems to notice how badly they suck.

My most over-rated? Easy, Aerosmith. I am constantly baffled why anyone would listen to that crap or why they just won't die.

It would be Meatloaf, who makes the most unlistenable music I can think of, but he isn't popular or widely regarded enough to replace Aerosmith as the most undeserving legend band of all time.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

James Christ
Banned
Mar 19, 2004, 07:50 PM

Just about all recent stuff is overrated. Some of these new 'rockers' are SUCH an irony because they yadda on about how 'free' and 'individual' they are but they are, in fact, a bag if cliches. Their total lack of originality means they are not free but prisoners to the influences they seek to emulate but most of the time poorly rip off.

Oh, so you spiked your hair, wore denim and stood in that 'I dont give a ****' pose for a magazine cover. How fricking original. You're a shallow made-up poster boy with a five minute career. Go die of a cliched drugs overdose. Nobody will remember you and the phoney songs of rebellion and love you wrote for 'money'.

Goths are the most ironic of these so-called 'individuals'. Mostly made up of people desperate for attention, wimps who want to look 'evil' and 'tough', who claim to be individual because instead of piercing their nipple they pierced something else instead. YAWN! You're a most unindividual fashion victim!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Talent-wise, I'd have to finger the Rolling Stones as one of the most overrated bands ever.

I saw them at the Downsview concert last summer in Toronto. They were eclipsed by the other talent sharing the headline. AC/DC in particular put on an excellent show at that event. The Stones performance, by contrast, was rather a disappointment.

The Stones are / were a mediocre band whose initial success IMO was derived from being at the right place at the right time with the 'right' image. That, or else Keith Richards sold his soul to the dark lord in 1962.
No no no no no nooooooo! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

You're INSANE! Off your freakin' rocker!

Look....AC/DC PLAYED THE CROWD. They played every one of their biggest hits, they rocked the place, it was awesome, everyone was happy. That's all they did � 8+ songs, 8+ monster classics everyone can sing along to.

The Stones did something they shouldn't've � they tried to treat this as a REAL Stones show, where people were there just to hear them and enjoy their music. Unfortunately, by that point everyone had been standing or sitting around all day and just wanted to hear those classic songs Q107 plays on the radio. Instead, they mixed it up and brought out lesser-known and varied tunes, and it just didn't go over well. However, I still had a great time...they were amazing songs, even though they didn't really belong there!

If you think The Rolling Stones were just in the "right place" with the "right image"...then you should really stop talking about stuff you obviously have no knowledge of. The Stones had the gritty, driving blues-based sound like no other, and their lyrics and "right image" solidified them as the anti-Beatles. You can't say they have no talent:

12 X 5
Now!
Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers (my favourite)
Exile on Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You

........holy shi�! And those are just most of their most critically acclaimed albums! That's 12 freakin' albums that are an essential part of any music collector's list, and all by one band!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by mac-kerouac:
You know who sucks?

Bob Dylan.

Really, isn't most of the point of music the actual "listening to" part? Well, I've no desire to listen to Bob, at least not when he is singing. He has done some nice writing, but why did he make albums?

Just a thought.
Originally posted by fireside:
i personally don't get what the big deal is about Nirvana. they weren't that good, and they supposedly started the whole "depressing" rock genre, why would anyone want to praise someone who started that genre?
*having heart palpitations*

greg

Patrick
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 10:36 PM

Okay, nobody's mentioned this band, and I think my clothing is flame retardant�

Metallica

I do like some of their songs, but for the most part they sound the same and are nothing original. Why must so many radio stations do the "Mandatory Metallica" thing? It was cool back when it started, but then everyone started copying it.

I think we can blame a lot of the 90s rock bands on them, too.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:

Metallica

I do like some of their songs, but for the most part they sound the same and are nothing original. Why must so many radio stations do the "Mandatory Metallica" thing? It was cool back when it started, but then everyone started copying it.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

James Christ
Banned
Mar 19, 2004, 10:50 PM

The oldest and most underrated rock music:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3520384.stm

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:

Metallica

I was hoping someone would mention them... I was going to but, I'm still singed from my flag post.

I hate Lars. A-hole. Ruined Napster for all.

Any-who...

James Christ
Banned
Mar 19, 2004, 11:09 PM

Any-who...
Thou shalt not steal....from one of the best drummers in the world.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by James Christ:
Thou shalt not steal....from one of the best drummers in the world.
It was ok with him when Metalica was starting up. THEY encouraged music sharing in order to get their songs heard... hypocritical a-hole.

I can think of 10 other drummers that I like better. OTTOMH.

-Buddy Rich
-Keith Moon
-Gene Hoglan
-Dick Barker
-Dave Lombardo
-Raymond Herrera
-Nick Menza
-Neil Pert
-John Bohnam
-Ringo Star
( Last edited by ghost_flash; Mar 19, 2004 at 11:41 PM. )

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 11:45 PM

I can think of 10 other drummers that I like better. OTTOMH.

-Buddy Rich
-Keith Moon
-Gene Hoglan
-Dick Barker
-Dave Lombardo
-Raymond Herrera
-Nick Menza
-Neil Pert
-John Bohnam
-Ringo Star
-Stewart Copeland

James Christ
Banned
Mar 19, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
-Stewart Copeland
Definitely Copeland! And Phil Collins is a tremendous drummer.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 12:04 AM

Ginger Baker?
Danny Carey?
Mitch Mitchell?
Mike Shrieve?
Terry Bozzio?
Dave Ghrol?
Mike Portnoy?
Carter Beauford?
Bill Bruford?
Mike Mangini?
Jon Theodore?
Bill Ward?

greg
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Mar 20, 2004 at 12:52 AM. )

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by James Christ:
Definitely Copeland! And Phil Collins is a tremendous drummer.
Oh yes, very good drummers. Phil could belt 'em out too. Too bad he went all Adult Comtemporary on us. If I hear "I can't stop loving you" one more time, I'll hurl.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ghotirking
Mar 20, 2004, 12:17 AM

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by ghotirking:
Creed.
They don't even rate at all.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2004, 12:44 AM

The White Stripes

Pure and utter ****. A girl banging on drums and a guy with issues playing riffs that I've heard before.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 12:53 AM

Radiohead rocks!

How about Areosmith?

coolmacdude
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 01:04 AM

Most underrated:

The Juliana Theory
Vonray
Format
Fountains of Wayne
The Elms
Yellowcard
Vertical Horizon
Further Seems Forever
Josh Joplin
Thursday
Forty Foot Echo
Something Corporate
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 01:06 AM

Almost every popular modern "alternative" rock band but Incubus, Radiohead, & Creed.

But most of all The Dave Mathews Band. When will he clear the bubble from his throat?

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Cipher13
Mar 20, 2004, 01:10 AM

Almost anything popular is overrated crap, nowadays. With exceptions.

Overrated... The White Stripes, The Streets, The Strokes, Coldplay, Nickelback, Creed, DMB, etc... they all suck, although Coldplay has one or two nice moments. They're all complete crap, almost.

Older bands... The Doors, The Beatles, etc... all overrated. Not necessarily crap, but definitely overrated.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Most underrated:

Forty Foot Echo
Saw Forty Foot Echo open for I Mother Earth in Toronto last summer. Was NOT impressed, at all...they were mediocre at best. Clarknova blew them off the stage, and I Mother Earth just left a smoking crater in their wake....

greg

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 01:38 AM

Dave Matthews Band are overrated.

Coldplay are awesome.

splatq
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 03:11 AM

Flame away, but Metallica.

I hate those as$holes.

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2004, 03:18 AM

Some random thoughts:

-Metallica... How could I forget them? I'll take REM off the top of my list in exchange for them.

-Jet & AC/DC... I've never seen them live, so I can't comment on their musical talent, but I have liked them both from the first minute I heard them. I dunno, maybe I'm a sucker for 'back to basics' Rock N' Roll or that 'fresh out of the garage' sound.

-Areosmith... IMO, an awesome band until the album "Pump". It seems to me, once Areosmith signed that huge record deal (I can't remember... Was it 7 albums over a 10 year span?) their song quality plummeted. They need to stay away from the ballads too, especially the ones they didn't write themselves (�I Don't Want To Miss A Thing�).

-U2... Overrated? In some ways they might be... For the most part, I don�t think so...
I think they have done pretty well over the last 20 years. They have gone through several different sounds/phases and although I don�t see a problem with that, I can understand how it could turn some people off.
I have great respect for this band and I really enjoy their music. Bono; an incredible lyricist, if he didn�t make it as a musician, I think he could have made one hell of a living by writing poetry. The Edge; he�s on my list as one of the most underrated guitar players. He has his own, very distinctive style and pours a lot of emotion into the music. Larry Mullen; his originality and non mainstream style adds a lot to U2�s music (Check out �The Refugee� or �God Part II�). Adam Clayton; he has got to be one of the most mediocre bass players in the history of Rock N' Roll. Although I must admit, as simple as those bass lines are, they mesh incredibly well with the music. He probably won�t be remembered for his skill at playing the bass or the complexity of his work, but he sure knows how to fit in with Mullen�s drums.
I would find it hard to believe that someone could not find a level of respect for U2, even if they don�t particularly care for their music.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2004, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
For me the question of most over-rated goes beyond bands that I don't think are any good who have achieved commericial success. Hell, commercial success isn't even rare any more. Mega-marketing and consolidation mean you can sing one song and sell platinum and be set for life.
I don't think you have any idea of just how incredibly rarely that happens, and which of the people involved in making it happen are actually "set for life", rather than "set up"...

-s*

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2004, 10:12 AM

I was hoping someone would mention them... I was going to but, I'm still singed from my flag post.

Any-who...
Ah, a fellow Metallica hater.

Metallica is proof that talentless bands can be big-time popular.
AutoJC

Capitalism.org

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 10:49 AM

After having to learn an entire set of Metallica songs some years back, I can state unequivocally that they are frauds and charlatans of the first degree.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 11:14 AM

Vanilla Ice
Ricky Martin
Mariah Carey
Ice Tea

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 11:24 AM

Most overrated:
U2
Metalica
The Darkness

Most underrated:
The Cure
The Pixies

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2004, 01:06 PM

Vanilla Ice
Ricky Martin
Mariah Carey
Ice Tea
Overrated... Yes.

Rock musicians... Not a chance!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Linkin Park.

underrated
( Last edited by nredman; Mar 20, 2004 at 01:21 PM. )

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Mar 20, 2004, 01:15 PM

..van hagar

..in fact anything with sammy hagar in it , apart from a coffin

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 01:29 PM

f you think The Rolling Stones were just in the "right place" with the "right image"...then you should really stop talking about stuff you obviously have no knowledge of.
opinion, not knowledge. ya young ruffian.
( Last edited by DBursey; Mar 20, 2004 at 11:15 PM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2004, 01:32 PM

Underrated:

Shiner (shut up, Phil)

Patrick
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
..van hagar

..in fact anything with sammy hagar in it , apart from a coffin
But Montrose was cool. That was before my time, so if I don't know what I'm talking about, feel free to correct me.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Mar 20, 2004, 02:36 PM

..no , you're correctamundo

..ok , apart from montrose then

..sammy hagar is so talentless he makes sid vicious look like beethoven

coolmacdude
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Saw Forty Foot Echo open for I Mother Earth in Toronto last summer. Was NOT impressed, at all...they were mediocre at best. Clarknova blew them off the stage, and I Mother Earth just left a smoking crater in their wake....
Never seen them live. I just liked their cd.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules