Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac shutsdown/wont boot

iMac shutsdown/wont boot
skilled2k1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 07:44 PM

Im having a problem with a iMac G5 2.0ghz 17in. It will randomly poweroff (instantly) while on and on other occassions it wont boot. Ill press the power button, hear the chime, and then it turns off again. I thought it might have been overheating so i took apart the chasis and cleared out all dust with an air compressor but still the problem presists on and off. Any past occurances of this?

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by skilled2k1
Im having a problem with a iMac G5 2.0ghz 17in. It will randomly poweroff (instantly) while on and on other occassions it wont boot. Ill press the power button, hear the chime, and then it turns off again. I thought it might have been overheating so i took apart the chasis and cleared out all dust with an air compressor but still the problem presists on and off. Any past occurances of this?
My iMacG5 1.8 GHz 20" does almost the same thing.
Now, that I am working on it, it stays on...if I leave it...it turns off...happened twice yesterday and 3 times today...

Any others??

OS X 10.4.7
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 01:29 PM

Is it a rev A or rev B? I know for sure the As had capacitor probs, causing this sort of behaviour... I dont know if the Bs did or not...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 02:15 PM

I know, I know...
just found another post with the same problem after a search here...

Annoying...oh well. Everything in my user folder is backed up, and its off to the applecentre locally here tomorrow...

It is the capasitors...I opened her up and took some pictures...as well as checking serial number againt the extended apple repair program.
It all fits I think, so hopefully everything goes well tomorrow.

Its just annoying with all this stuff...good that apple repairs, dont get me wrong...still a hassle though.
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules