Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll/question. 500vs400 PBTi Edging material: Ti or plastic?

Poll/question. 500vs400 PBTi Edging material: Ti or plastic?
chasnhisimac
Apr 25, 2001, 10:58 PM

After reading about one user whose powerbook's plastic edging(the lighter white part) between the latch and the screen cracked I am paranoid about my 'book. It was my impression that there were a few subtle differences between the 400 and 500 versions of the TiBook (in the article they didn't mention whether it was a 400 or 500 that cracked). One of them I'm hoping is that the edging on the 500 is Ti like the rest of the case. Just looking at mine, it has the same faint sparkle as the rest of the Ti casing. It "feels" metallic to me, but maybe I'm being deceived by well done matching.

So what I wanna know is, for other uses (specify 400 or 500mhz version) what do you "think" your lighter edging material is, metal or plastic.

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2001, 11:22 PM

Regrettably, I'd have to say it's plastic. I draw this conclusion based on the thin strip underneath the dvd drive. It looks and feels very much like plastic. On the other hand I saw a tibook at compusa that had a big chip in the white part and underneath looked black. The black could either be the real color of the plastic (how can apple be so stupid?) or it is titanium that has come into contact with something and has been colored.

I'm sure somebody else can give us a definitive answer. If it's plastic and it's just painted on the surface, Apple is really dumb. How hard is it to get colored plastic? Then at least chips and scratches wouldn't be so obvious.

I still love my titanium.

Pete

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2001, 11:24 PM

Oh, mine is a 400mhz version. However, the one in the shop was a 500 version. I doubt very very much that there is a difference. It's cheaper to make them all the same on a large scale.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2001, 11:43 PM

The white TiBooks came from a different manufacturing batch. That's all.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2001, 05:00 PM

That frame is supposed to be some sort of carbon fiber compound (possibly some plastic in there). Remember, carbon fiber is also used in race cars and motorbike frames (also mountainbike).

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2001, 05:02 PM

See also http://www.apple.com/powerbook/design.html (Apple says it's carbon fiber).

Forum Links
Forum Rules