Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Now... what game do I buy?

Now... what game do I buy?
qaramel2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 10:13 AM

I did it!! I ordered my first mac yesterday (after a whole wintel life!). It is a 700 mhz imac g4 combo w/ 512 mb

Now... what game do I buy?

I'm going to use it primarily for work (Office X) and as a 'digital hub' (I like that concept): iTunes + iPhoto. Of course, I would like to play with it from time to time...

I like strategy/ adventure games, so I was thinking Myst III could be a nice option (specially after I have read in this and other forums).

Can you provide me with any advice? other options?

Thanx in advance

(Hey, I can't wait to see my first mac! hopefuly, in 8 days...)
iMac G4 700 Mhz
512 Mb Combo-drive
OS 10.1.4

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 02:19 PM

Welcome to the cult! The big strategy/adventure games on the Mac are also available for the PC: Diablo2, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Starwars: Galactic Battlegrounds (soon), etc. Personally, I'd recommend Starcraft and/or Diablo2. I think AoE2 and SW:GB are boring as all get out.

If you want a distinctly Mac game, I'd recommend Escape Velocity:NOVA. It's a space adventure/RPG game that is really cool. It's made by the premier shareware company in the Mac universe: Ambrosia. It's only $30 too.

HamSandwich
May 8, 2002, 04:02 PM

I play some Myth III currently and I really think it is a great game. Since my config is almost the same as yours, I can ensure you it will both run and look well (hey, it's altivec-accelerated .

Another great Strategy game would be Civilization III or starcraft. waiting 6 weeks you can get Warcraft III.

I can recommend Nova - definitely. it is outstanding, great fun and should be worth at least a look.

steve

x user
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 07:10 PM

Nova is good. Also Civ III is pretty good as well, although I liked Civ 2 better. If you ever get the urge to shoot some people, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 07:51 PM

Play Avernum. Then Avernum 2. By the time you're done with them, Averunm 3 will be out.
http://www.spidweb.com
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 09:03 PM

StarCraft, StarCraft, StarCraft...
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2002, 08:47 AM

Baldurs Gate 2 is my favourite game.

If you like adventure/rpg's, then its the best around. Totally engrossing experience and will keep you occupied for a very long time.

It has excellent replay value also.

I am looking for players to play with on gameranger as well so get it and look me up!

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the other really hot game, but its a 3d shooter (though with adventure elements in the single play mode). That will be my next purchase, anyway.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Jeff Binder
May 9, 2002, 01:49 PM

Starcraft is essential, the Baldur's Gate series is great and Icewind dale and Diable 2 are good if you're more into hack & slash. Then, on the shareware front, like cdhostage said, the Avernum trilogy, and also Generforge. These are by Spiderweb Software: http://www.spidweb.com/

And check out the whole Escape Velocity series, from Ambrosia (and check out their other games as well): http://www.ambrosiasw.com/
self = [[JeffBinder alloc] init];

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2002, 08:18 PM

Most all of the great games have been mentioned but their are still the classics. SNES9X = SNES, iRock = NES, MAME...

Alice is a great game (adventure). If you want a great arcade game checkout Demios Rising (also from Ambrosia) great mac only game.

Mac game site I visit...
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 10, 2002, 09:44 AM

Starcraft is essential . Also, Warcraft III should be coming out in June.

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 10:07 AM

Escape from Monkey Island... Guybrush Threepwood. The name just rolls off your tongue.

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

qaramel2001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2002, 10:19 AM

Hey, thanx to everybody! I'm going to be quite busy trying
iMac G4 700 Mhz
512 Mb Combo-drive
OS 10.1.4

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 02:01 PM

Giants Citizen Kabuto is a great first/third person adventure game where you play three different races. Theres some strategy involved too. It has absolutley gorgeous scenery.
Download the demo at http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=17112

The Mecc cut scenes are hella funny

Forum Links
Forum Rules