Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Placebo? OSX seems speedy now!

Placebo? OSX seems speedy now!
chasnhisimac
Apr 17, 2001, 01:42 AM

Wow, between the OSX 10.0.1 update, and trying out the Powerlogix CacheControlX my iMac DV 400mhz (192meg RAM) seems REALLY speedy. *Maybe* it is a placebo effect from expecting the .0.1 update to speed things up, and increasing the cache speed to it's max (for me) of 200mhz (2:1), but OSX just feels fast, getting just that much closer to OS9.1 fast! Not to mention what my TiBook 500 feels like in OS 10.0.1!! I think we're on the right path here folks, I am starting to feel more and more productive using OSX on an everyday basis. The TiBook stays in 9.1 to do run legacy apps (FCP, Games, etc), but my iMac has really become useful when it comes to networking and internet apps.

idjeff
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 02:09 AM

Do you think that the cache adjustment seemed to help much? I've noticed some difference in the speed since the update, but it is still laggy on my Ti 500.

Perhaps I'll give it a shot.

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

smileyq
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2001, 03:12 AM

I've been using OS X since release date and I"m very happy with the speed. The thing you have to understand is speed vs. reliablity. While OS X may not be as fast opening some applications things are improving more and more with every release of software. The best suggestion of all is to get as much RAM as you can afford and you will notice the difference mostly then. I went from using 128 on my ibook to 320 and it makes a world of difference. Been using 448 of RAM on my G4 tower and Cube and they are awesome. Best of luck to you all!

bojangles
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 08:03 AM

I've also found that 10.0.1 speeds things up a little, for me. Again, it might be a placebo, but I don't think so. I've heard that G3 optimization is better in 10.0.1, while 10.0 was already optimized for G4.

(Of course, I still can't use it as my primary OS; not until Apple releases Epson serial drivers and my modem starts working with the SCSI chain attached. Come on, guys!!!)

------------------
"Aunque el mono se viste de seda, mono se queda."
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

zunipus
Apr 17, 2001, 10:31 AM

"I've been using OS X since release date and I"m very happy with the speed."

I'm not. The best comparison I can make is between Mac OS X Server running on my PowerBook G3 Series 233 with 192 MB RAM versus 9.1 versus 10.0.1. The result is that 10.0.1 is a downright SLUG. 9.1 is snappy. Mac OS X Server is snappy. It is blatantly obvious that Apple have done a lot of things between MOSX Server and MOSX 10.0.1 to make the System a CPU hog. EXAMPLE: Why on Earth do the screensavers get bogged down on this machine? There is no excuse. I can watch the tick-tick-tick of graphics moving on the screen in any of the screensavers. HUH? a 233 MHZ G3 chip so inundated with processing crap that it can't do better than 3 frames per second on a simple little SCREENSAVER?! Another example: The PlainTalk voices on this mac are horribly jittery to the point of incomprehensibility. I use PlainTalk inside CLASSIC (!) if I want them to actually work. I wish I could say it was just the virtual memory. Certainly that is a factor. Buy why does MOSX Server work so very well on my Mac and MOSX 10.01 acts like it is a dinosaur trying to get out of a tar pit? Throwing RAM and faster cpus at the problem is ridiculous, a solution for those who wish to avoid the real problem: PROGRAMMING.

Conclusion: MOSX 10.0.1 remains a beta program in commercial release clothing. Apple have a HUGE amount of work to do to make this thing sing. Preemptive multiprocessing and virtual memory does NOT have to be this slow and detrimental to the speed of anything on the OS. Its Not Ready For Prime Time. Perhaps in another year.

chasnhisimac  (op)
Apr 17, 2001, 11:17 AM

idjeff : be careful, I believe the powerlogix cachecontrol doesn't yet work with the G4 processors in the TiBook and the newer G4 Towers. I only changed the cache speed on my iMacDV.

pata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 01:20 PM

quote:

"idjeff : be careful, I believe the powerlogix cachecontrol doesn't yet work with the G4 processors in the TiBook and the newer G4 Towers. I only changed the cache speed on my iMacDV."

Be VERY careful! Cachecontrol killed my Ti 500 G4 just by double-clicking on the application!!! I didn't do anything else (since you can't really, it's all grayed out) but just by double-clicking the damn thing it killed my Mac, it got stuck on reboot at a window saying "probging L2 Cache". That's it, not even a reinstall of the system would bring it back. I had to reboot into 9.1 with CD-ROM, delete the "system" folder and reinstall the whole OS again for it to come back to life. Very poor software if you ask me. I didn't complain too much 'cause it's beta (cachecontrol) but c'mon, killing the machine???

Forum Links
Forum Rules