Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does anyone have root access in 10.1???

Does anyone have root access in 10.1???
kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 04:19 PM

You can't login as root, as you don't get to type a name and root isn't in the list.

My admin account can't 'su' to root, as it is no longer in group wheel.

Terminal does not allow you to 'login root'.

And holding down 's' no longer boots up in single user mode.

Has Apple decided to lock us out? or just me?

Help?!?!

Brian
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

mindwaves
Sep 30, 2001, 05:13 PM

I don't have 10.1 yet, but have you tried authenticating through NetInfoDirectory (or whatever it is called)?

<mtra>
Sep 30, 2001, 05:54 PM

just you....

chasnhisimac
Sep 30, 2001, 06:18 PM

ok... so you still hafta do the "enable root" in the netinfo.... it should be posted around here... you go to netinfo, authenticate as you, then go to a menu and there is an option buried where it says "enable root."

then... the REAL change that I've seen is how "sudo" works. it used to be that sudo required the root password, now it requires your administrator password. su still requires the root password to make you the root user just like it did.

-chas

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 07:49 PM

Just me, evidently...

Root was enabled... the problem was my netinfo databases got trashed by the install, resulting in my 'admin' account being in a bogus state of being an administrator but not really an administrator. Weird.

Anyway, with help from AppleCare support I deleted my existing admin user and created a new one. Now it works properly (I can 'su root', etc.).
I had to recreate my 'network' netinfo database and re-establish all my user accounts.

A pain, but its working now. (I hope... haven't tested much yet.)
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2001, 12:22 AM

If your NetInfo DB got trashed, can't you just fix it by importing the backup copy? Netinfo is automatically backed up every night to /var/backups.

It should work, but I can't say for sure as I haven't gotten OS X.1 yet :-(. The stores here in WMass didn't get it for some reason on Saturday and the Student Dev mailing probably won't arrive till Thurs.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2001, 12:22 AM

If your NetInfo DB got trashed, can't you just fix it by importing the backup copy? Netinfo is automatically backed up every night to /var/backups.

It should work, but I can't say for sure as I haven't gotten OS X.1 yet :-(. The stores here in WMass didn't get it for some reason on Saturday and the Student Dev mailing probably won't arrive till Thurs.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

msykes
Senior User
Oct 1, 2001, 01:41 AM

I think the problem here is not about switching to root, but actually logging in as root from the login window. What you need to do is access "Login' from the System Preferences, and click on the "Show Other User for Network User" in the "Login Window" tab. This will give you an icon with "Other User", which you click on and then lets you enter a name and password.

Alternatively you can eliminate the icons altogether from the Login preferences, it's just that they are now the new default setting.

msykes

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2001, 02:48 AM

You can also set the Login window to just have two text fields where you type in your login and pass as in 10.0.x.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 02:50 AM

Yes, thanks. I knew about the Login window settings... but without a administrator login that actually authenticated anything, I couldn't make such changes.

But now that I've cleared the .AppleSetupDone file so that I could go back through the setup assistant and re-create my Admin account, and have a working Admin, I have changed the login screen to the old-fashioned name/password... no icons... because I use network login accounts, and those don't seem to support the icon lists anyway.

Thanks,

Brian

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
<STRONG>If your NetInfo DB got trashed, can't you just fix it by importing the backup copy? Netinfo is automatically backed up every night to /var/backups.</STRONG>
Thanks for that bit of info... didn't know it was backed up.
Indeed, I see 'local.nidump' and 'network.nidump' there.
I'll use those to double check what I recreated.

For my education, how exactly would you "just fix it by importing the backup copy"?? How do you auto-convert the *.nidump file back into the *.nidb directories?

Thanks!

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
<STRONG>If your NetInfo DB got trashed, can't you just fix it by importing the backup copy? Netinfo is automatically backed up every night to /var/backups.

It should work, but I can't say for sure as I haven't gotten OS X.1 yet :-(. The stores here in WMass didn't get it for some reason on Saturday and the Student Dev mailing probably won't arrive till Thurs.</STRONG>
I was in the same boat until I drove to the new Apple Store in Peabody, an associate on the phone said they received 1000 copies. I drove there real quick.

I went to Yes on Saturday when the opened they did not have it and said it would probably be in shortly with FedEx. Went to CompUSA because I visited them on Friday and they said it was there but had to wait until Saturday to distribute. When I got there they did not have it and was waiting for FedEx, FedEx never came. Called Yes again, Upgrade CD's have come and gone. Needless to say I think all the employees and close friends got first pick from both of those stores.

Forum Links
Forum Rules